Aegisub: error in find function. Find and replace will replace wrong part of a sentence
Thread poster: A_Lilie
A_Lilie
A_Lilie
Germany
Local time: 20:13
Japanese to German
+ ...
May 27, 2019

I've been having an error in Aegisub for a few days, where when using the find and replace feature it will identify wrong parts of a sentence. I don't know how to explain it properly, so I added a picture where you can see the error:

https://ibb.co/NCp3hkC

The word I wanted it to find was "Ryo" and it identified a place in the sentence a few characters before the actual word. After hittin
... See more
I've been having an error in Aegisub for a few days, where when using the find and replace feature it will identify wrong parts of a sentence. I don't know how to explain it properly, so I added a picture where you can see the error:

https://ibb.co/NCp3hkC

The word I wanted it to find was "Ryo" and it identified a place in the sentence a few characters before the actual word. After hitting "replace" it will replace both instances it "found", in this case the characters it did mark and the actual "Ryo" in the sentence.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Aegisub, but it unfortunately didn't change anything. I do use find/replace very often and it eats up a lot of time checking each and every instance manually.

Does anyone here happen to know this bug and how I can get rid of it? I have absolutely no idea why this is happening and what went wrong. I've been working on the same project for a while now and never had this error until a few days ago.

Help!

Last edit:

Okay, nevermind. I found what's causing the error: It's ticking the "Skip Override Tags" box when using find and replace.

[Edited at 2019-05-28 10:35 GMT]
Collapse

A_Lilie
A_Lilie
Germany
Japanese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nevermind May 28, 2019

(So, I edited this post yesterday, saying that deleting the Aegisub folder in AppData got rid of this bug, which is true. To be precise, deleting config.json gets rid of it. This did work for me yesterday, however, today I've been getting the bug again! What is this??

Does anyone happen to have an Idea where this is coming from? I didn't change anything in the settings today whatsoever and it worked yesterday! So, what is causing my config file to malfunction?

Thanks!!)
... See more
(So, I edited this post yesterday, saying that deleting the Aegisub folder in AppData got rid of this bug, which is true. To be precise, deleting config.json gets rid of it. This did work for me yesterday, however, today I've been getting the bug again! What is this??

Does anyone happen to have an Idea where this is coming from? I didn't change anything in the settings today whatsoever and it worked yesterday! So, what is causing my config file to malfunction?

Thanks!!)

Nevermind. I updated the original post, because I found what was causing the error.

[Edited at 2019-05-29 06:33 GMT]
Collapse

António Madeira
António Madeira
Portugal
Local time: 19:13
English to Portuguese
- May 28, 2019

Hi, A_Lilie.
Did you try with another file?

Pick a random srt file and import it to Aegisub. If the search and replace function is working correctly, it may be a problem with the file's encoding.
Try exporting your project file to a srt file, encode it to UTF-8 with a text editor (notepad++ is a good choice) and import it again with Aegisub.

A_Lilie
A_Lilie
Germany
Japanese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 29, 2019

António Madeira wrote:

Hi, A_Lilie.
Did you try with another file?

Pick a random srt file and import it to Aegisub. If the search and replace function is working correctly, it may be a problem with the file's encoding.
Try exporting your project file to a srt file, encode it to UTF-8 with a text editor (notepad++ is a good choice) and import it again with Aegisub.

Hi António,

I did actually already find out that ticking "Skip Override Tags" in find/replace caused the error, but thank you for the suggestion!
I updated my last post now to show that the problem was solved, because I realized that it looked like I had run into problems again. Sorry for the confusion!!

António Madeira
António Madeira
Portugal
Local time: 19:13
English to Portuguese
- May 29, 2019

No problem.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Aegisub: error in find function. Find and replace will replace wrong part of a sentence

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »