Thread poster: A_Lilie
A_Lilie
A_Lilie
Germany
Local time: 10:01
Japanese to German
+ ...
Jul 3, 2019

I need to deliver a project I'm working on in srt, so I need to convert the ass files I'm working with into srt files. My problem are tags indicating the position of the line. Aegisub will delete these, when I use the export function, but Subtitle Edit keeps most of them. The only problem are tags that indicate a position and start italics at the same time: {\an2\i1} (plus the slashes which will not show up here). SE will always delete the italics part, so the text does no longer appear in itali... See more
I need to deliver a project I'm working on in srt, so I need to convert the ass files I'm working with into srt files. My problem are tags indicating the position of the line. Aegisub will delete these, when I use the export function, but Subtitle Edit keeps most of them. The only problem are tags that indicate a position and start italics at the same time: {\an2\i1} (plus the slashes which will not show up here). SE will always delete the italics part, so the text does no longer appear in italics. I read somewhere that srt doesn't support position tags, but I've received lots of srt files including those tags, so it should be possible to create an srt file with those tags, right? There is no problem with just the position tag {\an2}. The only issue is when the two tags appear together. Even if I break it up into two sepapate tags, SE will always delete the italics.

Does anyone know how to convert an ass file into srt without losing any tags?
Collapse

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:01
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
More professional software? Jul 5, 2019

Hello,

I've been trying to figure out your problem for last 2 hours cause I have plenty of times I tried many things but couldn't get any results even thou I'm not really an Aegisub user. Finally, I tried it with my own subtitling software Ooona, both italics and position from an ASS file (I tried a bottom-left) is exported to SRT without any problem. I'm still looking into it. I keep you posted.

Sarper Aman
Türkiye
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Found one Jul 5, 2019

Hello again,

I found an online tool that can convert ass to srt with position and italics at the same time. You may want to try this. Nevermind the language. It's just a random ASS file I found online.

https://gotranscript.com/subtitle-converter

Ekran Resmi 2019-07-05 14.13.12

A_Lilie
A_Lilie
Germany
Local time: 10:01
Japanese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your hard work!! Jul 5, 2019

Wow, thank you for investing so much time into my problem!!

I don't know Ooona, is that a subtitling tool?
Thank you for the link to the website! I'm not really comfortable with uploading my finished work somewhere in order to convert it, though. I never signed an NDA, but still, I'm hesitant about loading anything up, especially since the files I'm having trouble with are the finished versions of the projects I'm working with, not some minor files somewhere in between.
... See more
Wow, thank you for investing so much time into my problem!!

I don't know Ooona, is that a subtitling tool?
Thank you for the link to the website! I'm not really comfortable with uploading my finished work somewhere in order to convert it, though. I never signed an NDA, but still, I'm hesitant about loading anything up, especially since the files I'm having trouble with are the finished versions of the projects I'm working with, not some minor files somewhere in between.

Another workaround I found this morning was breaking up the Aegisub tags and the italics and use instead of {} in Subtitle Edit. So the tags I eventually went for looked like this: {\an2}. With this I could finally save it without losing any tags! Looks like most of the other software I use uses the tags and the position tags seem to be an Aegisub thing. So I guess Aegisub pulling both tags together and converting the to basically \i1} was too much to handle.
Collapse

Sarper Aman
Türkiye
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Welcome! Jul 6, 2019

You're very welcome and I'm glad you found a workaround!

I tried again many things but nope, couldn't figure out in my way. Yes, Ooona is an online subtitling toolkit, I can say very powerfull tool in terms of subtitling. You can set many things, it generates shot changes, you can add shot changes etc. I'm using Translate Pro version when I need it. Usually, I use vendor's subtitling software but sometimes they don't have their own software so I need one. There's a trial version a
... See more
You're very welcome and I'm glad you found a workaround!

I tried again many things but nope, couldn't figure out in my way. Yes, Ooona is an online subtitling toolkit, I can say very powerfull tool in terms of subtitling. You can set many things, it generates shot changes, you can add shot changes etc. I'm using Translate Pro version when I need it. Usually, I use vendor's subtitling software but sometimes they don't have their own software so I need one. There's a trial version as well, limited to 20 subtitles.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting ass files to srt deletes certain tags

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »