Շարքի հրապարակողը: brightj100

brightj100
Նիդեռլանդներ
Local time: 20:28
հոլանդերենից անգլերեն
+ ...
May 30

Hi Everybody,

I am starting sub titling for Sfera/deLuxe.
Are there translators working for them as i would like to know how long it takes you to translate say a 30 min video (no complicated text) within their system. How long did it take you in the beginning and how long now you are more expirienced.
Just want to have an rough idea as there deadlines seems quite thight and i am not sure i would be able to make their deadlines.

Thanks for your help!

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Գերմանիա
Անդամ (2009)
անգլերենից գերմաներեն
+ ...
Sfera May 31

Hi,

I used to work with them several years ago. Unless they have changed, their rates are very low, their platform isn't the easiest one to handle, no notifications of available jobs - for which you would have to beat your colleagues. In short, again unless they have improved, I would never work with them again.

Slobodan Kozarčić  Identity Verified
Սերբիա
Անդամ (2016)
անգլերենից սերբերեն
+ ...
The worst there is Jun 1

I signed a contract with Sfera four years ago and got just one proofreading job after two years of waiting, for which I've got 43 EUR for 16 h work. It was a very bad translated feature film. And I have translated more than 750 films for other clients and am a proven Serbian grammar an spelling expert. I can translate 20 to 30 min. of film per day. It depends on number of words, because a 90-min. film can have between 2,000 and 8,000 words. That per minute payment for films is the worst s... See more
I signed a contract with Sfera four years ago and got just one proofreading job after two years of waiting, for which I've got 43 EUR for 16 h work. It was a very bad translated feature film. And I have translated more than 750 films for other clients and am a proven Serbian grammar an spelling expert. I can translate 20 to 30 min. of film per day. It depends on number of words, because a 90-min. film can have between 2,000 and 8,000 words. That per minute payment for films is the worst scam in the subt. industry.
Now I am no longer a member of Sfera pool of translators.

[Edited at 2020-06-01 06:28 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-06-01 06:44 GMT]
Collapse

Elena Feriani
Իտալիա
Անդամ
ֆրանսերենից իտալերեն
+ ...
Never worked because of tight deadlines Jun 1

Hi,
I have passed the test, or I was accepted without one, I can't remember exactly. But I've never worked for them because I used to get only last minute requests for 45min episodes or 90min films to be translated in less than 24h. And I was comfortable with translating about 15-20 minutes of audio per day. As a freelancer, I tend to set aside a couple of hours of capacity every day, just in case I get work from other clients. And doing the same job all day long can be boring too. I would
... See more
Hi,
I have passed the test, or I was accepted without one, I can't remember exactly. But I've never worked for them because I used to get only last minute requests for 45min episodes or 90min films to be translated in less than 24h. And I was comfortable with translating about 15-20 minutes of audio per day. As a freelancer, I tend to set aside a couple of hours of capacity every day, just in case I get work from other clients. And doing the same job all day long can be boring too. I would do subtitling no more than 4 hours/day.

I have quit subtitling since then, because most agencies working for streaming platforms were willing to pay 4 USD/min for my language pairs. Sometimes this meant 2-3 cent/word. I had one good client that paid 9 USD/min but they lowered their rates by 70%, breaking my heart!
Unless you have a very good language pair, in my opinion, it's not worth it.

[Edited at 2020-06-01 07:56 GMT]
Collapse

Jocelin Meunier  Identity Verified
Ֆրանսիա
անգլերենից ֆրանսերեն
Not working with them anymore Jun 1

Hello,
it's been three years I think since I stopped working with them. They were my first subtitling agency and I was receiving work quite regularly (it was before they merge with sfera). I would say that a 30-minutes video took two days of work back then, and this is honestly a good pace for a translator. Having enough time ensures you make a quality translation. Now I could translate a 30-minutes video in a day, but I still stick to 15 minutes a day because there are always research to
... See more
Hello,
it's been three years I think since I stopped working with them. They were my first subtitling agency and I was receiving work quite regularly (it was before they merge with sfera). I would say that a 30-minutes video took two days of work back then, and this is honestly a good pace for a translator. Having enough time ensures you make a quality translation. Now I could translate a 30-minutes video in a day, but I still stick to 15 minutes a day because there are always research to do, things to correct, sentences that can be shorten, etc...

Deadlines for deluxe are tight. I remember one time when I had to translate a 20-minutes video in just 30 minutes! It took obviously more time to accomplish, but this is just an example of way too tight deadline they ask. Like others said, the rate is also mediocre at best. I think I quit when I realized that working an entire month for them, weekends included, wasn't enough to even make minimum wage. And also that they even stopped paying extra for rush jobs. My advice would be to work with them for a time if you need the experience and rapidly move to another client. Granted, rates in subtitling are majoritarily on the lower side, but deluxe/sfera manage to pay even less than that.
Collapse

Jerry_Po
Լեհաստան
Նոր օգտվող
How to leave? Nov 24

Side question regarding your previous answers: how exactly does one leave sfera/deluxe? I deleted my account roughly a year ago, soon after the merger. I read somewhere online that this is enough and that it means that I no longer want to work with them. Is this accurate, or should I do something else?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sub titling for Sfera/deLuxe

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Բառերի որոնում
  • Պատվերներ
  • Ֆորումներ
  • Multiple search