NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 06:16
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Sep 19, 2005

While researching something entirely different I came across www.moviemistakes.com/tv2651, a site which claims that the episodes of the wildly popular series Friends were either misstranslated or not translated at all.

I would like to hear from our Spanish-speaking members on this subject! I don't understand this phenomenon; perhap
... See more
While researching something entirely different I came across www.moviemistakes.com/tv2651, a site which claims that the episodes of the wildly popular series Friends were either misstranslated or not translated at all.

I would like to hear from our Spanish-speaking members on this subject! I don't understand this phenomenon; perhaps after paying the cast members their outrageous salaries, the network had to scrimp on the translation budget?

Nancy

[Edited at 2005-09-19 20:05]

[Edited at 2005-09-19 20:06]
Collapse

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Haven't heard that one before Sep 19, 2005

a site which claims that the episodes of the wildly popular series Friends were either misstranslated or not translated at all.

Friends, at least in Spain, has been properly dubbed, all 10 seasons. Same with all series that Spanish TV buys from the US.

P.
www.pbayle.com

PS: Sex and the City, great translation. Never boring, wildly creative.

Lindsay Sabadosa (X)
Lindsay Sabadosa (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Can't speak for the Spanish-speakers but... Sep 20, 2005

"Friends" just isn't great in Italian and, yes, there are sometimes missing jokes, things that are translated differently, etc. I know the show pretty well (okay, maybe really well... maybe too well... )in both languages and I have to say that I think a lot of it is that sometimes the jokes just don't translate nicely and the solution the dubbers find is not as funny as the original. Nevermind that the laugh track is missing in certain segments of the Italian version which means the characters, ... See more
"Friends" just isn't great in Italian and, yes, there are sometimes missing jokes, things that are translated differently, etc. I know the show pretty well (okay, maybe really well... maybe too well... )in both languages and I have to say that I think a lot of it is that sometimes the jokes just don't translate nicely and the solution the dubbers find is not as funny as the original. Nevermind that the laugh track is missing in certain segments of the Italian version which means the characters, who are pausing because of "audience laughter" in the US verion, look like they are just kind of standing around doing nothing at certain points in the Italian version. Not the best. Now "Will and Grace" and "Sex and the City" are a bit better, in my opinion but then I don't watch either quite as much or know them as well in English.Collapse

Claudia Luque Bedregal
Claudia Luque Bedregal  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Spanish
+ ...
Well, not here. Sep 20, 2005

Hi,
In Peru we watched every episode of Friends in English with Spanish subtitles Here most American TV series are subtitled and only those for children are dubbed. Same thing happens with movies. But it’s true that some jokes were not as funny as they were in the original version. Of course we had both versions, so we didn’t miss a thing! Well, at least tho
... See more
Hi,
In Peru we watched every episode of Friends in English with Spanish subtitles Here most American TV series are subtitled and only those for children are dubbed. Same thing happens with movies. But it’s true that some jokes were not as funny as they were in the original version. Of course we had both versions, so we didn’t miss a thing! Well, at least those who understood English didn’t.
Claudia
Collapse

Cintia Pecellin
Cintia Pecellin  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
I agree with the site Sep 20, 2005

I personally agree with the site when it mentions Friends was badly translated into Spanish, it was! So far the best translation into Spanish I've seen of an US TV series has been the "Gilmore Girls". Not a doubt; although "Sex in the City" is very good too...

[Edited at 2005-09-20 07:55]

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:16
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Done by a Prozian! Sep 20, 2005

Pilar T. Bayle wrote:

PS: Sex and the City, great translation. Never boring, wildly creative.

I was told that the translation was done by a prozian member, Nora Escoms. is it true, Nora?

Regards,

Clrisa

Orestes Robledo
Orestes Robledo  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
The English subtitles are not accurate Sep 20, 2005

I watch Friends on syndicated TV every day but, when I have visitors at home, I turn down the volume and watch the show with the captions on.

I am really disappointed that, far too often, the captions do not faithfully reflect what is being said. It reads like a free version of the script where punch lines are sometimes diluted and jokes are not as funny.

I have never seen a translated version of Friends, but if the producers were not able to render the original speech
... See more
I watch Friends on syndicated TV every day but, when I have visitors at home, I turn down the volume and watch the show with the captions on.

I am really disappointed that, far too often, the captions do not faithfully reflect what is being said. It reads like a free version of the script where punch lines are sometimes diluted and jokes are not as funny.

I have never seen a translated version of Friends, but if the producers were not able to render the original speech in the English subtitles, it's very likely that the Spanish translation won't be faithful either.
Collapse

3Legs
3Legs  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
The Spanish is not great, but dubbing/subtitling is SO not easy! Sep 21, 2005

I have the DVDs with Sp subtitles and/or dub options. Of course, what isn't seen in the Spanish is the heavy use of intonation that marks each character ("Could I BE wearing any more clothes?") and intensifiers ("That is SO not the opposite...")

Pls see:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1022916.htm

On a similar theme, in a recent Simpso
... See more
I have the DVDs with Sp subtitles and/or dub options. Of course, what isn't seen in the Spanish is the heavy use of intonation that marks each character ("Could I BE wearing any more clothes?") and intensifiers ("That is SO not the opposite...")

Pls see:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1022916.htm

On a similar theme, in a recent Simpsons episode, Lisa says "He-LLO?!" which was simply dubbed as "Hola?" and was actually quite surreal in the context!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Our Spanish Friends have been missing something

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »