Diego Tronca  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:37
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 6, 2006

Hi,
I already work as a subtitler but I'd like to learn more about this fine art.
Any book you could suggest about subtitling and everything related to it (correlations, time cueing, reformats etc)?

Thanks

imagai (X)
imagai (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Subtitling - Ivarsson Apr 6, 2006

Hi Diego,

Here is one:

Ivarsson, J. & Carroll, M. (1998). Subtitling. Simrishamn : TransEdit.

http://www.transedit.se/bokreklam.htm

Greetings from Canada.

Diego Tronca
France
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 6, 2006

Thanks you very much.
I'll take a look at it

Diego

ps I miss Canada, say hi to her...

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:37
French to Spanish
+ ...
Take a look... Apr 6, 2006

at:
http://accurapid.com/journal/04stndrd.htm
Luck.

Ivars Barzdevics
Ivars Barzdevics  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
In Spanish Apr 7, 2006

This one is a must

"Teoría y práctica de la subtitulacion" by Jorge Díaz Cintas. Ed.Arial Cine. 2003.

Good luck,

Ivars

Diego Tronca
France
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Grazie Apr 7, 2006

Juan, that's really interesting.
I always consider myself a novice in this field, although I've been working for several years.
Thanks again for any such hints, this is such a cool forum.

Claudia Boday
Claudia Boday  Identity Verified
Italy
Hungarian to Italian
+ ...
On film translation Apr 7, 2006

Hi Diego,

If you are interested I can give you titles of some interesting books/articles on film translation and the problems related to it. These texts are less 'technical' but very useful in their approaching audio-visual translational problems. You can contact me privately!

Ciao,
Claudia

Elena H Rudolph (X)
Elena H Rudolph (X)
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Bibliografia di Elisa Perego May 11, 2006

Here you have a list: http://www.unipv.it/wwwling/perego.pdf

cheers

Ana Deac
Ana Deac
English to Italian
subtitling Oct 29, 2007

hy Claudia
Could you please help me? I would also need some bibliography on subtitlig for my research work that I have to make this year. If you can help me please le me know. I sent you a message but I haven't received any reply.
Please e-mail me at : [email protected]

Subtitling for children Nov 14, 2009

Hi. this is little mermaid...im going to have my thesis on subtitling for children....could any one please advise me some books? many thanks

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:37
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
IMHO not much sense Nov 14, 2009

Little mermaid wrote:
Hi. this is little mermaid...im going to have my thesis on subtitling for children....could any one please advise me some books? many thanks

I find it somewhat questionable. I quote this excerpt fro my e-thesis (aka web site) at http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/video101.html :

Subtitling

It's the most economical way. No need to describe it, its key shortcomings are:

• Audiences that have limited or no fast reading ability (small children, illiterate people, visually impaired people, foreigners) will have limited or no access to the content.

Children will still be learning the language (vocabulary) visually from the world they see, video included, and will still be learning to read every time faster. This process will only taper off during adolescence.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I see little value in subtitling videos for children, both in practical and educational terms. DUBBING is the answer!

While we are on the subject, to reinforce my argument from an educational pont of view, let's take for granted that Disney maintains the highest standards in video translation worldwide. This is true!

My daughter is now 8 years old. Since the day she was able to turn on her TV, she always left it on the Disney Channel while she played with something else. If anything more interesting came up there, she'd watch. Anyway, those languagewise perfect dubbed scripts involuntarily got through her ears, and soaked her brain with an intuitive, unusually correct, grammar and pronunciation in Portuguese for her (or any other) age. Of course now she watches many other channels too, but the Disney speaking perfection painlessly became second nature to her.

So I think that video subtitling for children may entail deliberately discarding a good chance to effortlessly educate our children to speak well. Please bear in mind that I'm not advocating for dubbing, as I translate video for both dubbing and subtitling at exacty the same $$$ rate. You may find additional material about video translation on my web site, especially in the "articles" section, by navigating from the link above via the menu there.

Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
In French Nov 15, 2009

As you read French, maybe you could have a look at this one:

La traduction audiovisuelle : Approche interdisciplinaire du sous-titrage (Broché)
de Jean-Marc Lavaur et Adriana Serban, 162 pages, 2diteur : De Boeck (18 septembre 200
... See more
As you read French, maybe you could have a look at this one:

La traduction audiovisuelle : Approche interdisciplinaire du sous-titrage (Broché)
de Jean-Marc Lavaur et Adriana Serban, 162 pages, 2diteur : De Boeck (18 septembre 2008)

http://www.amazon.fr/traduction-audiovisuelle-Approche-interdisciplinaire-sous-titrage/dp/2804159299/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258260773&sr=8-1
Collapse

Iris Schoenauer
Iris Schoenauer
Germany
Local time: 06:37
Spanish to German
+ ...
How to enter the field of subtitling Oct 27, 2010

Hi there,

I have been working as a professional translator for over 10 years and am now looking into how to enter the subtitling market for English/Spanish into German. I am familiar with different CAT tools but unfortunately not yet with subtitling software. Can anybody give me hints on how to proceed? I have seen that Titelbild in Berlin offers introductory courses but they are a little dear (between 1,250 and 1,750 euros) considering that I do not yet know whether I can obtain an
... See more
Hi there,

I have been working as a professional translator for over 10 years and am now looking into how to enter the subtitling market for English/Spanish into German. I am familiar with different CAT tools but unfortunately not yet with subtitling software. Can anybody give me hints on how to proceed? I have seen that Titelbild in Berlin offers introductory courses but they are a little dear (between 1,250 and 1,750 euros) considering that I do not yet know whether I can obtain any subtitling assignments soon.

Regards from Ireland
Iris
Collapse

Sílvia Fornós
Sílvia Fornós
Denmark
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trágora: a good value subtiling course to begin with Nov 5, 2010

Hello Iris,

I had the same idea as you in mind and enrolled to a short course in Trágora Traducciones (Spanish Agency). If you can follow the online course in Spanish (I am not sure if they provide this course in English), it is a good value for money to start with.

Take a look at their website: http://tragoraformacion.com/

I am now a regular subtitler for SDI Media a
... See more
Hello Iris,

I had the same idea as you in mind and enrolled to a short course in Trágora Traducciones (Spanish Agency). If you can follow the online course in Spanish (I am not sure if they provide this course in English), it is a good value for money to start with.

Take a look at their website: http://tragoraformacion.com/

I am now a regular subtitler for SDI Media and quite happy with what I learnt!

Viel Glück!

Silvia.
Collapse

Romeo Mlinar
Romeo Mlinar
Portugal
Local time: 06:37
English to Serbian
+ ...
"Topics in Translation" by Cintas Nov 5, 2010

Ivars Barzdevics wrote:

This one is a must

"Teoría y práctica de la subtitulacion" by Jorge Díaz Cintas. Ed.Arial Cine. 2003.

Good luck,

Ivars

Is this the same book...?

"This book, a collection of articles written by leading experts in the field of audiovisual translation, introduces the reader to some of the main linguistic and cultural challenges that translators encounter when dealing with films and other audiovisual productions. The volume raises awareness of current issues and debates in the study of dubbing and subtitling and offers new insights on these complex and vibrant areas of the translation discipline."

http://www.amazon.com/New-Trends-Audiovisual-Translation-Topics/dp/1847691544

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Books on subtitling

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »