Tutorial for Subtitle Workshop?
Thread poster: Claire Tanaka
Claire Tanaka
Claire Tanaka  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:54
Japanese to English
Oct 12, 2007

I may have some subtitling work coming up, so I have decided to teach myself Subtitle Workshop now while I have some free time. Unfortunately, the help file is very long-winded, and it doesn't offer a clear, short, explanation of how to create and edit a subtitle file. I have managed to figure some things out on my own, but if there is a nice, easy-to-understand tutorial out there, I would love to see it.

Gina Ferlisi
Gina Ferlisi
Local time: 11:54
Member (2008)
Italian to English
subtitle workshop guide Oct 12, 2007

Hello, here is a link where you can download the users guide and other information . http://www.urusoft.net/downloads.php?cat=manualsw&lang=1

Hope it can be of help..i am also learning to use it too

bye gina

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:54
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Everything you need Oct 12, 2007

You may find all the technical know-how you need for subtitling at http://www.videohelp.com . I did. The problem there is that they have so much information that it might take some persistence and clever searching to find what you really want.

Claire Tanaka
Claire Tanaka  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:54
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Oct 12, 2007

Thank you both for the links. I will take a look. I already looked on videohelp a bit, but I couldn't find what I needed. I'll try again.

Cíntia Mello
Cíntia Mello
Brazil
English to Portuguese
TM for Subtitle Wrokshop Jan 13, 2011

Hi,

It's easy to use, but it doesn't have a TM.
I am looking for a way to join this software to any CAT tool or creating a TM inside it.
Does anyone know how to do this?

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
CAT tools and subtitles Jan 13, 2011

cintiamello wrote:
It's easy to use, but it doesn't have a TM.
I am looking for a way to join this software to any CAT tool or creating a TM inside it.
Does anyone know how to do this?

It beats me why anyone would use a CAT tool for subtitles. Maybe it's because I translate from the audio track, and not from pretranslated subtitles in yet another language. IMO one must keep the rhythm of the video in the subtitles, otherwise the subs will come with the same (lack of) quality in spotting as found in those free downloadable movies available on the web.

Anyway, I get the impression that too many translators nowadays are unable to order a pizza or brush their teeth without Trados.

Subtitle files are plain text, apart from some numbers and occasional parameters. You can open any of them using Windows Notepad, consequently Word too. WordFast would skip over all those numbers, so you could use it to translate the text. Just be careful not to translate parameters!

Subtitle Workshop is compatible with several dozen subtitle file formats, each one for a specific subtitles burner. In the low-end ones (such as the superb, though free, VirtualDub), most of the subtitle formatting is recorded on that file, such as SSA (SubStation Alpha) files. So these wouldn't be so good for CAT translation. On the high end there are the DVD authoring programs, like Adobe Encore, which uses TXT files containing no more than time-in, time-out, and subtitle text. All formatting is done on the authoring program, which makes these files better to CAT-translate.

There is no problem in using SW to convert from one type to another. The only thing is that every time you convert a more detailed (e.g. SSA) file into a less detailed one (e.g. TXT), you lose all the subtitle formatting. However if you know these details, such as font, size, style, margins, etc., this is easy to rebuild for the whole file.

If you've been hired to translate 'junk' subtitles, as I call translating the pre-spotted subs without ever watching the film (the only reason I'd imagine for using a CAT tool or machine translation there), the process can be made simple. Rename the file you get, e.g. filename.srt into filename.txt. Translate it using Word, save it as TXT, and then rename it back as filename.srt.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tutorial for Subtitle Workshop?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »