Studio 2021 not recognizing dates correctly????
Thread poster: Spamalot
Spamalot
Spamalot
Austria
Local time: 22:15
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Oct 2, 2020

Hello,
I just upgraded to 2021 and it is taking forever to re-customize everything. What is making things worse is that it doesn't like the date format (from German) *0*8. Juni 2020 and does not suggest (in English UK) anything or even 8 June 2020. This is driving me nuts. I have checked millions of times if all of my date recognition settings are there but it doesn't even underline the text showing it's an auto-suggest-worthy piece of information.
Does anyone know about this?
... See more
Hello,
I just upgraded to 2021 and it is taking forever to re-customize everything. What is making things worse is that it doesn't like the date format (from German) *0*8. Juni 2020 and does not suggest (in English UK) anything or even 8 June 2020. This is driving me nuts. I have checked millions of times if all of my date recognition settings are there but it doesn't even underline the text showing it's an auto-suggest-worthy piece of information.
Does anyone know about this?
THANKS!!!
Collapse

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 21:15
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Customising date and time formats Oct 2, 2020

I haven't made the switch to Trados Studio 2021 yet.
It should localise date and time formats in your source and target languages correctly. It's strange.
Please, try this and see if it helps you: https://docs.sdl.com/813470/775638/sdl-trados-studio-2021/customizing-date-and-time-formats

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:15
English to Russian
RE: re-customize everything Oct 3, 2020

spamalot wrote:
it is taking forever to re-customize everything

To avoid re-customizing all, you can save your profile and then load it for the new installation.
For this purpose, before you uninstall you current version, go to File > Setup > Manage User Profiles > Export user settings > Locate a folder to store your settings and assign a name for your settings.
Once the new version has been installed, go to File > Setup > Manage User Profiles > Change user profile* > Here you can backup your current settings, but I recommend that you choose "Do not backup...' because you already have it saved from the previous version. You may just be confused later when you discover two settings files on your computer. But it's up to you. Backup it if you want > Browse your settings file that you saved from the previous version > Finish

*I don't know why they use different terms in same menu, but 'settings' and 'profile' are exactly the same. Maybe because of never-stopping improvements...

What regards localizing dates, in addition to expressisverbis's tip, try this video: https://sdl.webex.com/webappng/sites/sdl/recording/play/99588d59d003413ba69f35d17e772698
Timing 28:36 (with most attention on 31:40)

[Edited at 2020-10-03 14:20 GMT]

expressisverbis
Dan Lucas

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:15
English to Russian
Just in case... Oct 17, 2020

I found out that what they call "Enhanced automatic recognition", in fact, does not recognize placeables from all TMs. Only one at the top of the list. Actually, you can also add placeables into other TMs too, but only those from the top TM are recognized. Even if only 1 TM (out of 6 for example) is checked for 'Update' but it is not the first TM in the list, placeables will not be recognized against this checked TM unless you bring it up to the top. This is not mentioned in the above video. You... See more
I found out that what they call "Enhanced automatic recognition", in fact, does not recognize placeables from all TMs. Only one at the top of the list. Actually, you can also add placeables into other TMs too, but only those from the top TM are recognized. Even if only 1 TM (out of 6 for example) is checked for 'Update' but it is not the first TM in the list, placeables will not be recognized against this checked TM unless you bring it up to the top. This is not mentioned in the above video. You must know or guess that telepathically.

[Edited at 2020-10-17 12:52 GMT]
Collapse

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 23:15
French to English
+ ...
Customizing dates, times, measurements, etc. as defaults in 2021 Oct 17, 2020

Here is a very useful article by Emma Goldsmith that makes it very clear how to do this. You can add any date format that you wish as default, and you can customize any other language resource as well.
This is very useful.
You can export all the settings (including dates, etc.) as a txt file and reimport them in a different TM.
E
... See more
Here is a very useful article by Emma Goldsmith that makes it very clear how to do this. You can add any date format that you wish as default, and you can customize any other language resource as well.
This is very useful.
You can export all the settings (including dates, etc.) as a txt file and reimport them in a different TM.
Enjoy!

https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2020/08/12/studio-2021/

HTH,
Sandra
Collapse

Eric MARRET

Eric MARRET
Eric MARRET  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Thanks Sandra Mar 15, 2021

Thank you so much, I have been looking for this menu for ages!
However I think it has to be done on each TM!

[Edited at 2021-03-15 22:25 GMT]

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

German to English
+ ...
Date conversion Mar 16, 2021

When dates are not correctly converted, regexes can be written to correct the conversions.

Spamalot
Spamalot
Austria
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The unsupported formats Mar 23, 2021

To get back to Anthony's question:
Unsupported formats for German dates that are to be translated into English are:
For example: 08. Januar 2020 (the leading zero is the issue) and Trados isn't seeing this as an actual date :/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2021 not recognizing dates correctly????

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »