Thread poster: Jonathan Holland
Jonathan Holland
Jonathan Holland  Identity Verified
France
German to English
+ ...
Mar 15, 2021

Hi everyone,
In Trados Studio 2019 I can't get a German to US English project to recognise my large general TM, which is a mixture of German to US English and German to UK English. When I created the SDLTM from a tmx file (which came from an Atril DV TM) I was forced to specify either US or UK English as the target language so I made it UK English. Is it normal that it won't now be usable with jobs in Trados having US English as the target language? Is the only workaround to specify UK Eng
... See more
Hi everyone,
In Trados Studio 2019 I can't get a German to US English project to recognise my large general TM, which is a mixture of German to US English and German to UK English. When I created the SDLTM from a tmx file (which came from an Atril DV TM) I was forced to specify either US or UK English as the target language so I made it UK English. Is it normal that it won't now be usable with jobs in Trados having US English as the target language? Is the only workaround to specify UK English as the target for projects even when I am actually translating into US English? Any advice gratefully received!
Jon
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:13
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@Jonathan Mar 15, 2021

Jonathan Holland wrote:

Hi everyone,
In Trados Studio 2019 I can't get a German to US English project to recognise my large general TM, which is a mixture of German to US English and German to UK English. When I created the SDLTM from a tmx file (which came from an Atril DV TM) I was forced to specify either US or UK English as the target language so I made it UK English. Is it normal that it won't now be usable with jobs in Trados having US English as the target language? Is the only workaround to specify UK English as the target for projects even when I am actually translating into US English? Any advice gratefully received!
Jon

Open your UK TM as a "any TM". It does the trick for me.

Dan Lucas
Yossi Rozenman

Jonathan Holland
France
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 15, 2021

Thanks Robert, I can't see where that is but I'll look out for it next time I set up a project.

Remy van Tol
Remy van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 14:13
Dutch to English
+ ...
Project settings Mar 15, 2021

Jonathan Holland wrote:

Thanks Robert, I can't see where that is but I'll look out for it next time I set up a project.

Go to Project settings > Language Pairs > [Your language pair] > Translation Memory And Automated Translation > Use > AnyTM: Any file-based TM...

Select your TM that's in the other language variant.

Jonathan Holland
France
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 15, 2021

Remy, that has worked, many thanks to you and Robert!
Jon

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US/UK English TMs

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »