How to kill terminally the Generating Preview "feature"?
Thread poster: Kalinka Hristova
Kalinka Hristova
Kalinka Hristova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 18:38
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Mar 21, 2021

How can I kill terminally once and for all the Generating Preview "feature"? I don't want it at all! I want to remove it in a way that would prevent it from appearing again. Whatever this thing is supposed to "serve" for, all it does is block Trados in such a way that it stops responding for hours. So, I want to get rid of it forever. I thought I stopped it some time ago by closing the tab on the right side of the screen, but earlier this week it activated itself again, even though the said tab ... See more
How can I kill terminally once and for all the Generating Preview "feature"? I don't want it at all! I want to remove it in a way that would prevent it from appearing again. Whatever this thing is supposed to "serve" for, all it does is block Trados in such a way that it stops responding for hours. So, I want to get rid of it forever. I thought I stopped it some time ago by closing the tab on the right side of the screen, but earlier this week it activated itself again, even though the said tab remains closed.'

Please HELP! I can't keep delaying ALL my projects because of Trados! I use Studio 2021 Freelance.
Collapse

Yaotl Altan

Glyn Lloyd-Jones
Glyn Lloyd-Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:38
Member (2015)
Italian to English
Are you falling foul of Ctrl+R? Mar 21, 2021

which is the shortcut for Internal Refresh. Although not immediately obvious from the name, Internal Refresh refreshes the currently open preview, and if there isn't one, it generates it. It's all too easy to hit Ctrl+R instead of Ctrl+T (Apply Translation), creating the problem you describe. To stop that happening, just remove the shortcut for Internal Refresh in Options->Keyboard shortcuts->Editor (delete Ctrl+R and leave it blank).

I hope that helps.

Stepan Konev
bris97
Mr Tariq
Yuriy Novikov

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:38
English to Russian
Just close the right-hand tab again Mar 21, 2021

I closed the preview tab once and it does not appear even when I press 'Reset Window Layout'. However I experienced the same issue as described by Glyn Lloyd-Jones above because of Ctrl+K shortcut. I assigned Ctrl+J to the 'Merge segments' command and accidentally pressed Ctrl+K instead (View Internally Target). Here in this thread, th... See more
I closed the preview tab once and it does not appear even when I press 'Reset Window Layout'. However I experienced the same issue as described by Glyn Lloyd-Jones above because of Ctrl+K shortcut. I assigned Ctrl+J to the 'Merge segments' command and accidentally pressed Ctrl+K instead (View Internally Target). Here in this thread, the suggestion by Bruce Campbell at the end of the discussion helped me resolve my issue. You just need to detect what shortcut causes this effect and remove it as Glyn Lloyd-Jones suggested, or re-assign.Collapse

Mr Tariq

Kalinka Hristova
Bulgaria
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 21, 2021

Glyn Lloyd-Jones wrote:

To stop that happening, just remove the shortcut for Internal Refresh in Options->Keyboard shortcuts->Editor (delete Ctrl+R and leave it blank).

Thank you Glyn! I don't think I have ever hit Ctrl+R, but I just removed this shortcut (plus another similar one, just in case). Let's hope Trados would stop freezing (and that I will finally deliver all my overdue projects).

Kalinka Hristova
Bulgaria
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Killing Generating Preview - mission impossible Mar 25, 2021

No, there's no way whatsoever to exterminate this thing! It activated itself again! And of course, Trados stops working for ages. I am terribly late with several projects!
HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP! Pleeeeeease!

Marta Kiezik
Marta Kiezik  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:38
English to Polish
+ ...
Any solution found? Nov 25, 2022

Hey Kalinka, have you ever found any solution to that? I am in that very spot right now and sincerely, I am late with my projects too, as well as frustrated and fed up with finding bug after bug and being told to buy the new version...

Mr Tariq

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
GroupShare Nov 25, 2022

Are you working on a GroupShare project?

Kalinka Hristova
Bulgaria
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
No solution whatsoever Dec 9, 2022

Marta Kiezik wrote:

Hey Kalinka, have you ever found any solution to that?

No, Marta, I am still fighting with this s***, even after upgrading to Studio 2022.

The same thing happens in both GroupShare and normal projects.

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
English to Russian
+ ...
Do you work on big projects in Trados? Dec 13, 2022

It's just that I also sometimes hit the wrong keyboard shortcut but either have time to cancel the preview or it's generated pretty quickly. This happened recently with a document that was quite big. But there's a size limit beyond which Trados becomes a nuisance, with or without previews. It'll struggle opening a single file for five minutes, then die in one. I don't know what that limit is, I guess it depends. With such projects, I'd permanently switch to memoQ. If the file is not too big but ... See more
It's just that I also sometimes hit the wrong keyboard shortcut but either have time to cancel the preview or it's generated pretty quickly. This happened recently with a document that was quite big. But there's a size limit beyond which Trados becomes a nuisance, with or without previews. It'll struggle opening a single file for five minutes, then die in one. I don't know what that limit is, I guess it depends. With such projects, I'd permanently switch to memoQ. If the file is not too big but this is still happening, I suggest you just kill Trados using Task Manager rather than wait for it to unfreeze: if you're mainly going from top to bottom, it's often a faster way to fix things despite having to recover data Trados will have lost

[Edited at 2022-12-13 23:15 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to kill terminally the Generating Preview "feature"?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »