Caroline Giguère
Caroline Giguère  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:45
English to French
+ ...
Oct 19, 2019

Hello,

I am filling out a form to do some work for a European agency, and I wonder about two things:

1. Is it better for Canadians to be paid in USD, or should I just choose CAD? I have to select one, and won’t be able to change it afterwards. It would seem logical to choose CAD (fewer transfer fees and such) but I’m thinking maybe USD is more advantageous in the end.

2. What are the payment methods that work best for payments from overseas? Do people
... See more
Hello,

I am filling out a form to do some work for a European agency, and I wonder about two things:

1. Is it better for Canadians to be paid in USD, or should I just choose CAD? I have to select one, and won’t be able to change it afterwards. It would seem logical to choose CAD (fewer transfer fees and such) but I’m thinking maybe USD is more advantageous in the end.

2. What are the payment methods that work best for payments from overseas? Do people use the ProZ Pay tool? PayPal? Wire transfers?

Thank you,

Caroline
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:45
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
PayPal can get very expensive Oct 19, 2019

Caroline Giguère wrote:
2. What are the payment methods that work best for payments from overseas? Do people use the ProZ Pay tool? PayPal? Wire transfers?

Once you get into four-figure sums (several thousand dollars), the fees charged by PayPal really mount up. I was once charged >$150. It's OK for small sums though.

Dan

Caroline Giguère
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good to know! Oct 19, 2019

Thank you Dan for this info.
Caroline

Joshua Parker
Joshua Parker
Mexico
Local time: 21:45
Member (2016)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TransferWise Oct 19, 2019

I've used TransferWise to receive funds from Europe (into a U.S. bank), so far with no problems, and very low fees.

PayPal fees can really add up, but it's OK for small amounts. Even then, I still think TransferWise is cheaper. The only drawback is that it can take a few days to receive the money.

Caroline Giguère
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 20, 2019

I appreciate your suggestion and will look into it : )

Caroline

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 22:45
Dutch to English
+ ...
About USD Oct 21, 2019

Getting paid in USD may be an advantage. If you open a USD account at your bank (at no cost), you can deposit the money there and wait until the exchange rate is particularly good before transferring it to your Canadian account.

Note that Paypal will not transfer USD to a Canadian USD account. They will only transfer it to a Canadian account, so that you pay the exchange rate plus their conversion fee. I often leave the money there in a USD account to pay, for example, my proz.com
... See more
Getting paid in USD may be an advantage. If you open a USD account at your bank (at no cost), you can deposit the money there and wait until the exchange rate is particularly good before transferring it to your Canadian account.

Note that Paypal will not transfer USD to a Canadian USD account. They will only transfer it to a Canadian account, so that you pay the exchange rate plus their conversion fee. I often leave the money there in a USD account to pay, for example, my proz.com membership, software programs, and other things I order online. Paypal does allow accounts in different currencies (also at no cost), so you could start a Euro account and ask European companies to pay you there.

[Edited at 2019-10-21 15:17 GMT]
Collapse

Jessica Noyes

Caroline Giguère
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 22, 2019

Tina Vonhof wrote:

I called my bank and opened a US bank account yesterday : ) I did ask them about the best way to receive funds from Europe, and the person I spoke with did a quick check and it turns out that you get more for your euros when it is transferred directly into CAD. Still, I think it will certainly be handy to have such an account, maybe for dealing with American agencies.

Tina Vonhof wrote:

Note that Paypal will not transfer USD to a Canadian USD account. They will only transfer it to a Canadian account, so that you pay the exchange rate plus their conversion fee. I often leave the money there in a USD account to pay, for example, my proz.com membership, software programs, and other things I order online. Paypal does allow accounts in different currencies (also at no cost), so you could start a Euro account and ask European companies to pay you there.

That's also good to know. I did some more research about that, and yes, PayPal does seem to charge a fair bit. But I went and added an account in Euros and one in USD; again, that might come in handy, for shopping and such as you say.

Thanks again,

Caroline

Caroline Giguère
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I signed up! Oct 22, 2019

Joshua Parker wrote:

I've used TransferWise to receive funds from Europe (into a U.S. bank), so far with no problems, and very low fees.

PayPal fees can really add up, but it's OK for small amounts. Even then, I still think TransferWise is cheaper. The only drawback is that it can take a few days to receive the money.

I did some research, and it does seem like a very good and cheap option, used by a lot of people.

Thanks again!

Caroline

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
Need to have done it before I say Oct 22, 2019

Joshua Parker wrote:

Don't you have to have an account set up with them? They ask you to supply all kinds of personal documents (photocopies) to even establish a TransferWise account. Do you need to pay something for that?
Isn't the money held for a while in limbo (cyberspace or at your bank)? How long did it take for you to get the money the first time you used this service?
Thank you for your info.
B

Caroline Giguère
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No cost to register Oct 23, 2019

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

Joshua Parker wrote:

Don't you have to have an account set up with them? They ask you to supply all kinds of personal documents (photocopies) to even establish a TransferWise account. Do you need to pay something for that?
Isn't the money held for a while in limbo (cyberspace or at your bank)? How long did it take for you to get the money the first time you used this service?
Thank you for your info.
B

Hi Bernhard,

It didn't cost me anything to register, and it was pretty straightforward, no photocopies needed. I haven't used the service yet, but it seems it does take a few days to receive the money according to Joshua.

Caroline

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best way to receive payment from European agency

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »