Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:15
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't get too upset Apr 6, 2019

[/quote]
...an outsourcer...pays between 1.5 & 3 US cents per word...it's still upsetting...I'd earn about $3.75 an hour... I know all the arguments (I think): it's not my market, this is a decent rate for Latin America, etc. But it's still upsetting.
[/quote]

If the market is saturated then people will start bailing out. If there is too much work and not many translators, people will start coming in.

I wouldn't fret too much when I see low job offers. Stay
... See more
[/quote]
...an outsourcer...pays between 1.5 & 3 US cents per word...it's still upsetting...I'd earn about $3.75 an hour... I know all the arguments (I think): it's not my market, this is a decent rate for Latin America, etc. But it's still upsetting.
[/quote]

If the market is saturated then people will start bailing out. If there is too much work and not many translators, people will start coming in.

I wouldn't fret too much when I see low job offers. Stay positive and move on to the better offers. The low offers are for people who fit a certain profile. For example, recent graduates with something to prove. The good ones will get some experience under their belts then raise their rates, while making reduced income.

An experienced translator will find a niche and understand how the business works. If they don't do well, they'll make other arrangements for employment. Kind of logical.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

0.01 per word

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »