Off topic: Has anyone ever volunteered for translating mangas ?
Thread poster: Greatservice00
Greatservice00
Greatservice00
United States
Local time: 23:43
French to English
+ ...
Apr 25, 2021

Good morning,

I am looking for ways to prove my skills and to get more practice translating. While searching for a way to do so, I found out that manga websites would allow people to volunteer to translate mangas and give them credit for the translation. I am interested since I think it would be an interesting project to be part of. However i had some hesitation going through with it because :

1) Would it not be considered copyright violation ?
2) They require
... See more
Good morning,

I am looking for ways to prove my skills and to get more practice translating. While searching for a way to do so, I found out that manga websites would allow people to volunteer to translate mangas and give them credit for the translation. I am interested since I think it would be an interesting project to be part of. However i had some hesitation going through with it because :

1) Would it not be considered copyright violation ?
2) They require you to do the translation via Discord. They do not want to do it via email interraction... Is that a bad thing ? what can they do to my computer via discord ?
3) Has anyone ever worked on those types of projects before and how was the experience ?

thank in advance for any point of view.

Sincerely,

GS00
Collapse

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 04:43
Japanese to English
Not legal Apr 26, 2021

What you are describing is known as "scanlation" and it is definitely a copyright violation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scanlation
You can read about it ad nauseam online.

Dalia Nour
Dalia Nour  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 06:43
Member (2018)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Translators without Borders Apr 28, 2021

Hi,

I have no idea about mangas! If you are looking for a prove to your skills, I recommend TWB!
It's a well-known organization and all your translation work will be mentioned in your profile!
Also, they will write references for you, when you need that!

Here is the link for more details: https://kato.translatorswb.org/

All the best!

BNN Medical Tr.
BNN Medical Tr.
Brazil
Local time: 01:43
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Discord is perfectly safe and scanlation is good Apr 29, 2021

"2) They require you to do the translation via Discord. They do not want to do it via email interraction... Is that a bad thing ? what can they do to my computer via discord ? "

They can do nothing bad through Discord. Discord is currently the most popular text-and-voice chat application, and for good reason. I've been using it for years and love it. You join a server (a group, basically) and can see a list of everyone who participates in the server (presumably, the people of the sc
... See more
"2) They require you to do the translation via Discord. They do not want to do it via email interraction... Is that a bad thing ? what can they do to my computer via discord ? "

They can do nothing bad through Discord. Discord is currently the most popular text-and-voice chat application, and for good reason. I've been using it for years and love it. You join a server (a group, basically) and can see a list of everyone who participates in the server (presumably, the people of the scanlation project) and chat or talk with them, or send them a message if they're offline and they'll answer when they get online. It's better than communicating through e-mail in my opinion.

Scanlating may be technically illegal, but it's often the only way that Western audiences get to enjoy manga that never get translated officially in the West. Scanlation groups do it voluntarily out of love and don't earn anything other than donations to keep their servers online, and people who consume the scanlation group's material are people who cannot read Japanese and would never have bought the original manga anyway, so it's not like scanlation is taking profit away from the manga authors. In fact, it might even increase the authors' earnings, since these new fans (who otherwise would never have come in contact with their franchise if not for the scanlator's work) might decide to import from Japan products related to the franchise, or buy the manga to support the author once it's available officially in the West. So I don't see any harm in scanlations, quite the opposite in fact!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has anyone ever volunteered for translating mangas ?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »