Windows 8.1 doesn't recognize any SDL Studio files - HELP please
Thread poster: Language Arts
Language Arts
Language Arts
United States
Local time: 18:00
Member (2010)
Sep 2, 2014

Just got a new laptop with Windows 8.1 and it won't recognize any of the Studio file extensions. I've gone through the "Set Association" window, but none of the Studio extensions show up there to assign them a default program.

Can anyone help?

Thank you!

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Windows 8 didn't last long in my laptop Sep 3, 2014

Language Arts wrote:

Just got a new laptop with Windows 8.1 and it won't recognize any of the Studio file extensions. I've gone through the "Set Association" window, but none of the Studio extensions show up there to assign them a default program.

Can anyone help?

Thank you!

After installing and reinstalling because of CAT tools not working in Windows 8, while they perfectly worked in Windows 7, I went for the radical solution: I eliminated the beast and installed Windows 7. Everything works now.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:00
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Questions about file association Sep 3, 2014

Studio 2014 runs fine on Win 8.1, and, in my case, the file association is correct.

If you right click a TM or sdlxliff file in Windows Explorer, go to properties>Type of File>Opens with
presumably you don't see Studio 2014?

And if you click Change?
Can you browse to Studio?

Language Arts
Language Arts
United States
Local time: 18:00
Member (2010)
TOPIC STARTER
Something still isn't right.... Sep 3, 2014

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Studio 2014 runs fine on Win 8.1, and, in my case, the file association is correct.

If you right click a TM or sdlxliff file in Windows Explorer, go to properties>Type of File>Opens with
presumably you don't see Studio 2014?

And if you click Change?
Can you browse to Studio?

Hi Emma,

Thank you for your advise. I am able to browse for Studio and change the app, so at least I can open sdlxliff files with a double click again. The icon I see is not the usual icon for sdlxliff files though. I tried the same for a TM and where a double click will open Trados, it won't load the actual TM.

Thanks again!

Jennifer

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows 8.1 doesn't recognize any SDL Studio files - HELP please

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »