Installation of Java software under Windows 8/10
Thread poster: 2nl (X)
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:02
Oct 5, 2014

As a Mac user, I'm not very familiar with Windows 8 (or Windows 10 Preview) and I hope that someone with more knowledge can answer this question .

Can a Java app (like in this case CafeTran) be installed in c:\CafeTran Espresso or only in a path like \\psf\Home\Documents\CafeTran Espresso (which probably translates to something like ‘c:\Users\Hans\Documents\CafeTran Espresso’)?

What would be a clever default path for the installation software to suggest?

And:

And:

[Edited at 2014-10-05 06:28 GMT]

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Normally Oct 5, 2014

A user need not know where or how a program is installed, just clic on the installation icon and let do it.

If you have some problems, with 95% probability is cause using an operating system to be released in a year!

Do you want to use CafeTran or just playing with Windows 10?

Anyway, CafeTran, AFAIK, should work in Mac too...

Regards

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
It's the suggested default installation path that I'm worried about Oct 5, 2014

I've done a quick test to check whether CafeTran will run at all:

http://cafetran.wikidot.com/installing-cafetran-under-windows-10

I think that the path that is suggested by the installation program isn't correct for Windows 8 (or Windows 10). It should rather be something like: c:\Users\Name\Documents\CafeTran Espresso

BTW: I use Caf
... See more
I've done a quick test to check whether CafeTran will run at all:

http://cafetran.wikidot.com/installing-cafetran-under-windows-10

I think that the path that is suggested by the installation program isn't correct for Windows 8 (or Windows 10). It should rather be something like: c:\Users\Name\Documents\CafeTran Espresso

BTW: I use CafeTran on a Mac.

[Edited at 2014-10-05 13:20 GMT]
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Programs go to a Programs or Apps folder Oct 5, 2014

2nl wrote:
I think that the path that is suggested by the installation program isn't correct for Windows 8 (or Windows 10).

The correct path is C:\Program Files\CafeTran Expresso or C:\Program Files (x86)\CafeTran Expresso. Use the latter path if CafeTran is a 32 bit software (I don't know) but is to be installed on a 64 bit Windows.

If that doesn't work, run the installer using the "Run as Administrator" option. If that doesn't work either, then use the Documents folder you mentioned – a crutch solution, though.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installation of Java software under Windows 8/10

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »