Thread poster: lidija68
lidija68
lidija68  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:17
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
Sep 11, 2015

Today I found on my pc (windows 7) a very large (more than 5 gb) hidden folder $Windows.~BT

I understood that is a new windows 10 “ready to install“. I don’t want to mess with perfect pc (I prefer buying new machine with windows 10 later), so do you think it’s safe if I just delete it? I’m afraid it’s going to install itself on my pc when I’m not looking

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:17
Danish to English
+ ...
Microsoft presume they can decide what to do with your PC Sep 11, 2015

This looks like something that could be a scandal. It has been reported in the press that Microsoft automatically download Windows 10 on PCs set to automatic updates, even if you haven't asked for it.... See more
This looks like something that could be a scandal. It has been reported in the press that Microsoft automatically download Windows 10 on PCs set to automatic updates, even if you haven't asked for it.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2425381/microsoft-is-downloading-windows-10-to-your-machine-just-in-case

After all their goofing with Windows 8, they just can't stop.
Collapse

TechStyle
TechStyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Windows 10 Sep 11, 2015

Yes, you can delete that, though it's a bit tricky (regular deletion won't work!)

There is a tool called "cleanmgr" you can run (with Run from the start menu) which will delete some of the contents, but not all, for you.

Or a series of commands which will actually delete all those files, but be very careful with them, here
... See more
Yes, you can delete that, though it's a bit tricky (regular deletion won't work!)

There is a tool called "cleanmgr" you can run (with Run from the start menu) which will delete some of the contents, but not all, for you.

Or a series of commands which will actually delete all those files, but be very careful with them, here: http://superuser.com/questions/886098/what-is-the-windows-bt-folder (second comment down).

Personally, I did actually go ahead and upgrade - it's free, it works OK (it actually checks before installing whether or not it'll work properly on your system!) and looks better than Windows 8, too. Just make sure your software is ready for it, I've seen a few threads here about translation software issues lately...
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not sure... Sep 11, 2015

lidija68 wrote:
Today I found on my PC (Windows 7) a very large (more than 5 GB) hidden folder $Windows.~BT

Yup. I'm very careful these days when I install updates, to specifically deselect Windows 10, because it's always selected by default, as an "update". I also have that large "update" already downloaded.

Here is an interesting article on preventing Windows from updating to version 10:
http://venturebeat.com/2015/09/11/microsoft-will-download-windows-10-even-if-you-dont-want-to-upgrade-heres-how-to-stop-it/
(I haven't tried any of those solutions yet)

I don’t want to mess with perfect PC ... so do you think it’s safe if I just delete it?

I think it's best to just leave it alone, and take other steps to prevent it.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Precisely! Sep 11, 2015

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
Microsoft presume they can decide what to do with your PC!

This looks like something that could be a scandal.
After all their goofing with Windows 8, they just can't stop.

8.1 has been downloaded while I was in the middle of a job without my ok and I had to wait until it was finished. I was so shocked that since then I have disabled automatic Windows updates altogether. This is surely not a good behaviour either. But how can we protect ourselves otherwise against this kind of dictatorship?

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
By... Sep 11, 2015

Christel Zipfel wrote:
But how can we protect ourselves otherwise against this kind of dictatorship?

...disabling any automatic updates/upgrades.

lidija68
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Sep 12, 2015

thank you all for your comments.

@James – I don’t want to install windows 10, I didn’t want to download it either.
I have some problems with their privacy policy – how do you think your translations can be “confidential” if windows 10 by default gives itself right to “collect and share your data such as: credit card number, security code associated with your payment instrument., the content of your documents, photos, music or video etc..”<
... See more
thank you all for your comments.

@James – I don’t want to install windows 10, I didn’t want to download it either.
I have some problems with their privacy policy – how do you think your translations can be “confidential” if windows 10 by default gives itself right to “collect and share your data such as: credit card number, security code associated with your payment instrument., the content of your documents, photos, music or video etc..”
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/default.aspx?tduid=(4359d9c0a319cb9d87050629ceb19b3c)(193031)(1846393)(skim33330X911647Xb052415e0a1da042e405532876d2c4b5)()

@Samuel – thank you, I’m afraid deleting it I’ll make it worse

@Christel and Natalie – automatic updates disabled. I wish I had done it earlier

I just wanted to have right to decide by myself what I want to do with my pc.:(
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
The page you linked to doesn't say that Sep 12, 2015

lidija68 wrote:

I have some problems with their privacy policy – how do you think your translations can be “confidential” if windows 10 by default gives itself right to “collect and share your data such as: credit card number, security code associated with your payment instrument., the content of your documents, photos, music or video etc..”
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/default.aspx?tduid=(4359d9c0a319cb9d87050629ceb19b3c)(193031)(1846393)(skim33330X911647Xb052415e0a1da042e405532876d2c4b5)()

The page you linked to doesn't say that. Where did you copy that statement from? I'd like to know if they really say that somewhere.

lidija68
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"learn more" Sep 12, 2015

@Thomas:

Personal Data We Collect - click on "learn more"

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
So don't use OneDrive Sep 12, 2015

"We collect content of your files and communications when necessary to provide you with the services you use. This includes: the content of your documents, photos, music or video you upload to a Microsoft service such as OneDrive."

is what it says about the contents of documents. It doesn't say they collect the contents of documents on your computer. Just don't use OneDrive. You've just cut out half the sentences and stuck them together and presented your edited result as a quote, b
... See more
"We collect content of your files and communications when necessary to provide you with the services you use. This includes: the content of your documents, photos, music or video you upload to a Microsoft service such as OneDrive."

is what it says about the contents of documents. It doesn't say they collect the contents of documents on your computer. Just don't use OneDrive. You've just cut out half the sentences and stuck them together and presented your edited result as a quote, but this is misuse of quoting. What you present as a quote does not appear anywhere on that page.

As for the credit card number, it says:

"We collect data necessary to process your payment if you make purchases, such as your payment instrument number (such as a credit card number), and the security code associated with your payment instrument."

That's hardly surprising. Many retailers do that, although smaller retailers use third-party payment providers so the retailer itself doesn't have your card number, but then the third-party payment provider has it. If you don't want your credit card number known, you effectively can't use it for buying anything, so why have a credit card at all?

Here's a quote from your post made the same way, by cutting and splicing words:

"You want to have problems with the disabled"
Collapse

lidija68
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it's not only Onedrive Sep 12, 2015

I don’t use Onedrive

I’ll quote myself

lidija68 wrote:

I have some problems with their privacy policy –

It’s just my personal opinion. Perhaps I wasn't able to explain it - my english is not very good. You don’t have to agree with me. In my opinion I should be asked what to share, download and install, not be forced to search how to disable it.

But there is not only Onedrive:

“Microsoft collects data to operate effectively and provide you the best experiences with our services. You provide some of this data directly, such as when you create a Microsoft account , submit a search query to Bing , speak a voice command to Cortana , upload a document to OneDrive,”....

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I may be mistaken, but... Sep 12, 2015

As I understand it, you get W10 "free" for a year (or a similar longish period), after which you are locked into a licencing agreement where you need to pay for each renewal and upgrade. As with other pay-as-you-go systems, for example Spotify, in the long run it means the user pays more, and this time it appears to be ad infinitum.

What I just don't get is why everyone seems so eager to have W10 in the first place. Although I wasn't keen on W7 at first, I am now quite happy workin
... See more
As I understand it, you get W10 "free" for a year (or a similar longish period), after which you are locked into a licencing agreement where you need to pay for each renewal and upgrade. As with other pay-as-you-go systems, for example Spotify, in the long run it means the user pays more, and this time it appears to be ad infinitum.

What I just don't get is why everyone seems so eager to have W10 in the first place. Although I wasn't keen on W7 at first, I am now quite happy working with it, as I find it stable and versatile enough for my needs. I was also happy with the previous versions like XP - at least with XP I was able to use my CD dictionaries, which won't work on 64-bit systems. My only concern now is about how long I will be able to keep going with W7 before they whip the rug out from under again me with yet another unwanted "improvement"...

And I’m not a total luddite – I do have W10 on (at least) one laptop, but I mainly use it connected to my TV for entertainment purposes, although its OS is all in Spanish and it’s good to go if I – or any of my visitors, colleagues etc - ever need to use it.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
English or not Sep 12, 2015

English or not, if you quote something, you should do it properly and not cut and splice different parts out of context and then present the edited result as if it were a quote when it's not. This has nothing to do with opinion.

Most online services you use collect more or less data. Microsoft is not a unique case. It's a question of choice how much function you want, and for which 'price' in terms of data collection.

But you claimed that:

'how do you think
... See more
English or not, if you quote something, you should do it properly and not cut and splice different parts out of context and then present the edited result as if it were a quote when it's not. This has nothing to do with opinion.

Most online services you use collect more or less data. Microsoft is not a unique case. It's a question of choice how much function you want, and for which 'price' in terms of data collection.

But you claimed that:

'how do you think your translations can be “confidential” if windows 10 by default gives itself right to “collect and share your data such as: ... the content of your documents, photos, music or video etc..”'

as if Microsoft copied yours and your clients' documents from your computer, and that's wrong. They don't collect such data from your computer. This is not a question of opinion but of misreading what they say. If you cut words and terms out of a text out of context and then splice them together according to your taste, you can transform it into almost anything you want. But what's the use of doing that here?
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Incorrect Sep 12, 2015

neilmac wrote:

As I understand it, you get W10 "free" for a year (or a similar longish period), after which you are locked into a licencing agreement where you need to pay for each renewal and upgrade.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq?ocid=win10_auxapp_gated :

"Is the upgrade really free?"

"Yes, it’s free. This is a full version of Windows, not a trial or introductory version. It is available for a limited time: you have until July 29, 2016 to take advantage of this offer. Once you upgrade, you’ll have Windows 10 for free on that device."

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade :

"Once installed, Windows 10 is yours to enjoy for free!"

Why do you think you have to pay anything later? Can you quote a reliable source, or is it just a rumour?

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just hearsay Sep 12, 2015

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Why do you think you have to pay anything later? Can you quote a reliable source, or is it just a rumour?

Nope, I probably I read it somewhere, otherwise I don't know where I got the idea from. It doesn't really bother me one way or the other. They do seem very keen to get everyone to upgrade to W10 though, and it makes me wonder what the reasons are, especially as I prefer working with W7 and hope to be able to continue to do so for at least a few years...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

windows 10 unwanted download

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »