Can I get a preview of a file on the Desktop?
Thread poster: 2nl (X)
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:16
Oct 15, 2015

In OS X I can select a file on the Desktop and press the space bar to get a preview of the file (e.g. DOCX).

Is such a technique also available in Windows 10?

Hans
(temporarily on Win10)

[Edited at 2015-10-15 16:06 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
In a folder Oct 15, 2015

2nl wrote:
In OS X I can select a file on the Desktop and press the space bar to get a preview of the file (e.g. DOCX). Is such a technique also available in Windows 10?

Not AFAIK, but if you're in a folder, you can enable the preview pane (by e.g. pressing the Preview Pane button). You can also view the Desktop as a folder by going into any folder on the Desktop and then going "one folder up", which will show you the Desktop inside a folder.

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 15, 2015

I was testing this with a PNG. I also had IrfanView installed and assigned the .PNG extension to this program. After re-assigning it to Photos, the preview still didn't work. Then I found this:

2) In Windows Explorer, I clicked Tools, Folder options, went to the View tab, expanded Files and Folders and removed the check mark from Always show icons, never thumbnails. (I think this is all I had to do to make it work, but have not verified that.)

(Source: http://superuser.com/questions/201250/cant-see-png-previews-in-windows-7)

Now I get a preview in a Desktop folder on the Desktop .

Rodrigo Castillo H.
Rodrigo Castillo H.
Chile
Local time: 00:16
English to Spanish
Toggle Preview Pane Oct 19, 2015

You can also press ALT+P to toggle the Preview Pane on and off. Not sure if this keyboard shortcut is the same in all languages, but it works in the Spanish version of Office.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I get a preview of a file on the Desktop?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »