Searching files for terminology WITHIN a folder
Thread poster: Trans-Marie
Trans-Marie
Trans-Marie
Local time: 12:56
English to German
Apr 27, 2016

Dear colleagues

I have a folder with a large number of reference html files in it. Rather than clicking on each individual file I want to search the whole folder for terms. There is a search box at the top right but when I use that, nothing comes up. Can anyone help please? I use windows 8.1. Many thanks.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:56
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Use special software Apr 27, 2016

I use "Archivarius 3000" for searching documents: I recommend you to try it.
http://www.likasoft.com/document-search/

Trans-Marie
Trans-Marie
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Possible with multiple files? Apr 27, 2016

Hi Natalie,

Thank you very much for your reply. Can I just enter the folder with its numerous files into this software? I need to search many documents at once. Thanks.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Also X1, dtSearch Apr 27, 2016

Trans-Law wrote:
I have a folder with a large number of reference html files in it. Rather than clicking on each individual file I want to search the whole folder for terms.

The X1 search software has a free trial. If you get serious, dtSearch is arguably better, but requires a little more input.

Dan

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Sure you can! Apr 27, 2016

Trans-Law wrote:
Can I just enter the folder with its numerous files into this software? I need to search many documents at once. Thanks.

At first you need to create an index for a certain location where you would like to search (e.g. the folder with jobs for certain client), then you should choose this index in the search tab and enter the term for search (or the phrase in quotation marks, like in Google search), and click the "Search" button. You will get the complete list of hits for the term in this location.

Trans-Marie
Trans-Marie
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
X1, dtSearch Apr 27, 2016

Hi Dan,

Thanks for that!

Trans-Marie
Trans-Marie
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Index Apr 27, 2016

Thanks Natalie, that sounds reasonable.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Two options Apr 27, 2016

Trans-Law wrote:
I have a folder with a large number of reference HTML files in it. Rather than clicking on each individual file I want to search the whole folder for terms.

The abandonware program "Wilbur" from RedTree can index individual folders (or folder trees) for specific file types, and you can create multiple indexes. Since it is an indexed search, the search results appear instantaneously.

Apparently, the opensource "DocFetcher" can also do that.

For folders that aren't indexed, I use Agent Ransack. It's a very fast search program.

Trans-Marie
Trans-Marie
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
RedTree / DocFetcher Apr 27, 2016

Hi Samuel

Thanks! I'm a bit surprised that none of you seem to be using the "ordinary" search box in Windows. It actually worked for me some time back - I just entered a search term and got results from all files in the folder. It just does not work anymore...

Thanks to all of you for the software tips - that should take care of the problem.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching files for terminology WITHIN a folder

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »