Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Keyboard latency – who else has this problem?
Thread poster: David Sch
David Sch
David Sch
Ecuador
Local time: 10:07
Dutch to German
TOPIC STARTER
You think so? Jan 30, 2019

Task Manager always shows a RAM usage below 3 GB. The rest is fully available. The CPU usage is usually around 10% and does not go up while I type.

Could my system still be so busy that it has not enough resources even for typing?

My problem appears even after a restart with only Notepad open. How could it be that 4 GB RAM are not enough for this simple task?

David Sch
David Sch
Ecuador
Dutch to German
TOPIC STARTER
The regedit change worked Jan 30, 2019

Daniel, after finishing my working day, I can say your advise really improved the situation significantly. Even the Alt-Tab function works fluently now. In Word and Trados, there remains a little delay when I type very quickly, but it is better now. Thanks again.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 16:07
English to German
More than 4 GB is advisable, but ... Jan 31, 2019

John Fossey wrote:

Windows 10 can take much more RAM than 4 GB.

Caution. Beware with the purchase of additional RAM. Only 64 bit operating systems can make use of more that 4 GB.

Unfortunately, PC's that come with 2 or 4 GB often come with a 32 bit Windows. Actually there is no way to upgrade a 32 Bit Windows to a 64 bit version.

John Fossey

Alexia OLONA
Alexia OLONA  Identity Verified
France
Member (2019)
English to French
Type of keyboard Jan 31, 2019

Hi David,
I see that your latency issue has really improved. But for others with this problem, could the type of keyboard also solve this ?

Personally, I use a mechanical keyboard, a gamer keyboard (mine is a Corsair K70 LUX RGB with Cherry MX Silent keys). I work on Linux and Windows 7 on a virtual machine, and I can say that it is really very effective. No latency, adapted to my sensitivity, you can choose the kind of key switches are best for you, height of keys etc... I se
... See more
Hi David,
I see that your latency issue has really improved. But for others with this problem, could the type of keyboard also solve this ?

Personally, I use a mechanical keyboard, a gamer keyboard (mine is a Corsair K70 LUX RGB with Cherry MX Silent keys). I work on Linux and Windows 7 on a virtual machine, and I can say that it is really very effective. No latency, adapted to my sensitivity, you can choose the kind of key switches are best for you, height of keys etc... I see a huge difference with my old classical Dell one, or those with very flat keys.

I am sure someone else could confirm or not
Collapse

David Sch
David Sch
Ecuador
Dutch to German
TOPIC STARTER
I will try it Jan 31, 2019

Thanks Alexa, I will have to try this. Today's computers are complex. It could be the keyboard, who knows.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:07
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Registry cleaner Jan 31, 2019

David Sch wrote:

The regedit change worked

Daniel, after finishing my working day, I can say your advise really improved the situation significantly. Even the Alt-Tab function works fluently now. In Word and Trados, there remains a little delay when I type very quickly, but it is better now. Thanks again.

Now that you mention it, I occasionally run CCleaner, maybe a couple of times a year, which includes a registry cleaner. Although I couldn't prove it, I think the machine always runs a bit faster afterwards.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Lincoln Jan 31, 2019

Lincoln Hui wrote:
4 GB on Windows 10? I'm not surprised you're getting laggy responses.

Note, she doesn't get laggy responses in all programs. Just in certain programs. Also, my experience with Windows 8 and 10 is that they work just fine on older hardware with less RAM. Obviously if you use memory hungry programs like certain modern browsers, you'll have laggy responses in the browser, but that would not explain the lagginess in Word and Trados.

Word 2003 uses 22 MB of RAM, Word 2016 uses 100 MB, Excel 2003 uses 6 MB, Excel 2016 uses 100 MB, and Trados uses 160 MB. Obviously slightly more if you open documents in them. Available RAM alone does not explain any lagginess.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:07
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Must be hardware issue Feb 2, 2019

I don't see any delay when typing in Chrome browser, Word 365, Studio 2017 on my Win7 laptop with 8 GB RAM.
If you type directly on your laptop keyboard, the delay should be off at least. I type on a wireless ext. keyboard and there is no delay.

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Keyboard Feb 26, 2019

Very likely your keyboard (specially if wireless) seems to be the problem, never seen anything like that, and I've used all kinds of Windows configurations (and mostly Logitech keyboards).

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Keyboard latency – who else has this problem?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »