Extra monitor went black and all windows were moved to the main monitor -- what did I do?
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:32
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Feb 10, 2020

I was editing a Word document under Win10 on my external monitor. I tried to press alt gr +9, but somehow my finger slipped and the external monitor went black and all windows were moved to the main monitor on my laptop. Fortunately after re-starting Windows the external monitor was activated again and I could move the windows back on the bigger screen.
But I wonder what key I really pressed. Scary.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2020-03-24 20:03 GMT]

Giuliana Maltempo
Giuliana Maltempo
Argentina
Local time: 04:32
Member (2023)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Display key Feb 10, 2020

Most probably you pressed the "chage display mode" function key. In my laptop it is just above the 9 key.
This key combination switches through different modes of projecting on a second screen: Main screen only > Duplicate > Extend > Second screen only.
You can get back to your prevous setting by pressing the shortcut again, or from the quick settings section (click the notification icon next to the clock) > project

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 08:32
French to English
+ ...
Win+P Feb 10, 2020

Heinrich, on Windows 10, you can switch monitors by pressing Win+P. It will pop out a menu listing possible monitor combinations.

Dan Lucas
Juan Jacob
Jorge Payan
Vadim Kadyrov
Paulo Leite

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Win + P does the trick, but SDL Studio does not comply Mar 14, 2020

When I have Studio open on my second screen and chose "only computer screen", the windows switch all to the computer screen, but the search window (cntrl+F) does not, it has to be moved manually.

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 08:32
French to English
+ ...
to Heinrich Mar 14, 2020

This is a bit strange, but in any event you don't need to actually drag the window over, you can instantly transfer it to the other monitor by pressing Win+Shift+Right_arrow or Win+Shift+Left_arrow (when you have more than two monitors, these two combinations transfer the active window to the next monitor or the previous one, respectively).

On second thoughts, there may indeed be the problem with dialog windows. These exist in several different varieties, and there may be a c
... See more
This is a bit strange, but in any event you don't need to actually drag the window over, you can instantly transfer it to the other monitor by pressing Win+Shift+Right_arrow or Win+Shift+Left_arrow (when you have more than two monitors, these two combinations transfer the active window to the next monitor or the previous one, respectively).

On second thoughts, there may indeed be the problem with dialog windows. These exist in several different varieties, and there may be a combination of attributes that creates a problem you describe.

[Edited at 2020-03-14 18:20 GMT]
Collapse

David Hop
David Hop
Bangladesh
Glad to learn! Mar 23, 2020

Great! Finally you have recovered. I even didn't face this kind of situation yet. Anyways, thanks a lot for sharing.

Mostafa Kamel
Mostafa Kamel
Egypt
English
+ ...
One press Mar 23, 2020

You just press "Win⊞ + P", choose Duplicate or second screen only.
your screen will display correctly
(⊞ Win+P toggles between the devices that receive video card's output.)

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's a bug in Studio Mar 24, 2020

Anton Konashenok wrote:

On second thoughts, there may indeed be the problem with dialog windows. These exist in several different varieties, and there may be a combination of attributes that creates a problem you describe.

[Edited at 2020-03-14 18:20 GMT]

Bug has been there since ages. If you don't remember to drag the find-box to you main monitor manually, you have to do without it when working mobile.
I even wonder would even whole Studio main window open on the non-existent second screen if I forget to drag it away. Either manually or with the Win+P-function.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extra monitor went black and all windows were moved to the main monitor -- what did I do?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »