Patricia Torres
Patricia Torres  Identity Verified
Venezuela
Local time: 11:02
English to Spanish
Jan 23, 2014

Hi everyone!

I hope you can help me here...

A potential client uses SDL Trados to translate and review brochures, manuals, etc. created with InDesign. He wants me to join the reviewer team, but I don't have SDL Trados but Wordfast (both, Classic and Pro). Is there a way for me to open a SDL Trados file in Wordfast Pro, make changes visible (with any sort of "track changes" function) and then send the client an exported bilingual file, so he can open it in SDL Trados and
... See more
Hi everyone!

I hope you can help me here...

A potential client uses SDL Trados to translate and review brochures, manuals, etc. created with InDesign. He wants me to join the reviewer team, but I don't have SDL Trados but Wordfast (both, Classic and Pro). Is there a way for me to open a SDL Trados file in Wordfast Pro, make changes visible (with any sort of "track changes" function) and then send the client an exported bilingual file, so he can open it in SDL Trados and accept/reject changes?

Thanks A LOT!

Patricia
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Reviving this post Jun 24, 2020

I also have a similar question to the OP.

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks,
DJH

Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:02
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
I have the same question Jul 28, 2023

Does anyone have an answer to this issue?
Many thanks!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No Jul 28, 2023

No, AFAIK the change tracking in WFP7 and the change tracking in Trados 2022 or similar are entirely different and incompatible. WFP7 handles change tracking by keeping track of all old versions of a segment and then comparing the segment on the fly each time you view the file. Trados stores the actual edits in a visually tracked way.

In fact, if you open a changed tracked SDLXLIFF file in WFP7, it will regard insertions and deletions as normal text (e.g. if the original texts was
... See more
No, AFAIK the change tracking in WFP7 and the change tracking in Trados 2022 or similar are entirely different and incompatible. WFP7 handles change tracking by keeping track of all old versions of a segment and then comparing the segment on the fly each time you view the file. Trados stores the actual edits in a visually tracked way.

In fact, if you open a changed tracked SDLXLIFF file in WFP7, it will regard insertions and deletions as normal text (e.g. if the original texts was "traDos" and you delete the "t" and insert "T" and delete the "D" and insert "d", then it will show up in WFP7 as "tTraDdos". And WFP7 doesn't warn the user that the file is change tracked. What's more, all tracked changes are gone when WFP7 saves the SDLXLIFF file again (i.e. it shows up in Trados with both insertions and deletions as plain text).
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Use Bilingual Export/Import Jul 28, 2023

I think the only solution is to ask your client to export the SDLXLIFF file as a bilingual Word file, then revise said file with tracked changes. When you send the file back to your client, they accept or reject your edits, then import the bilingual Word file back into Trados to update the SDLXLIFF file. I am not sure how the Trados export/import bilingual file works or if it exists, but I am guessing it does.

Best,
John

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@JohnDR Jul 28, 2023

John Di Rico wrote:
I think the only solution is to ask your client to export the SDLXLIFF file as a bilingual Word file, then revise said file with tracked changes.

Trados bilingual review export/import is prone to failure. It exports tags in a way that is easy to break, and even if all tags are perfect, the import may fail (with no further recourse).

The only viable solution is rather convoluted: the client sends an unedited SDLXLIFF file to the OP; the OP opens the SDLXLIFF file in WFP7, and exports the bilingual review DOC file. The OP then edits the DOC file in Word (using tracked changes). The OP sends the edited DOC file to the client, who then accepts/rejects the edits in Word according to their preference. The client then sends the DOC file back to the OP, who imports it into WFP7 and then exports the final SDLXLIFF file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados + track changes in Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »