Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:19
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 21, 2020

I'm working on my first WF Pro 5 project. I'm trying to leave WF Pro 3 behind since 5 is better, right?

Just a couple of initial questions I have are:

1. Why can't I see misspelled words when I click into a segment? I can only see them when the cursor is in a different segment.

2. How do I jump to the first segment of my document? In WF Pro 3 it was Ctl-Home.

[Edited at 2020-06-21 22:23 GMT]

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to turn on spell checking Jun 21, 2020

I just answered my own question.

Review > Spellcheck > Preferences > Check For Spelling Errors as You Type AND Enable Spellchecking

And I now have another question:

What are the keyboard shortcuts for all the Spellcheck commands? Specifically I want 1) the shortcuts for accepting or rejecting the suggested change, and 2) very importantly, I want to accept a change without jumping to the next suggested change, i.e. I want to mull over my change before jumpi
... See more
I just answered my own question.

Review > Spellcheck > Preferences > Check For Spelling Errors as You Type AND Enable Spellchecking

And I now have another question:

What are the keyboard shortcuts for all the Spellcheck commands? Specifically I want 1) the shortcuts for accepting or rejecting the suggested change, and 2) very importantly, I want to accept a change without jumping to the next suggested change, i.e. I want to mull over my change before jumping to the next one.

Regards.
Collapse

Karina D'Emilio
Karina D'Emilio
Argentina
Local time: 12:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wordfast Shortcuts Jun 23, 2020

Hello Edward,
Go to preferences, then Shortcuts, there you have the shortcuts for Spell Check and Spell Check Document, you can also assign a new key combination.
Best.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Edward Jun 23, 2020

Edward Potter wrote:
I'm trying to leave WF Pro 3 behind since 5 is better, right?

WFP5 isn't better than WFP3. It is a completely different program. It works in a very different way. In many respects, it is different -- neither better nor worse, just different. WFP5 has more features, that's true, and AFAIK WFP3 is no longer updated. But I think the difference between WFP3 and WFP5 is almost as great as the difference between Trados 2007 (TTX) and Trados 2009 (SDLXLIFF).

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Better Jun 24, 2020

I wouldn't go back to using Wordfast Pro 3 unless someone increased my translation rate by 20%. Live Preview, segment filtering, and several more Transcheck checks are but a few of the features that have left WFP3 in the dustbin of history.

Take the time to transition, change your habits, and learn how to use WFP5, then please post your feedback here in say 3 months.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@John Jun 24, 2020

John Di Rico wrote:
I wouldn't go back to using Wordfast Pro 3 unless someone increased my translation rate by 20%.

My point was that one should not consider WFP5 to be an improved version of WFP3. The programs work in completely different ways.

I still use both WFP3 and WFP5, depending on which file type the client sends me. If it's TXLF, then WFP5. If it's TXML, then WFP3. In addition, the fact that WFP3's project creation is so much simpler than that of WFP5, makes me choose WFP3 whenever I need to generate a bilingual review format. WFP5's mandatory file structure is unnecessarily complicated, and if your client works with GLP packages, it takes a lot of extra steps just to affect one or two small edits in the project each time the files come back.

Live preview, segment filtering, and several more Transcheck checks...

WFP5 certainly does have a lot more Transcheck checks, but the Transcheck report itself is more difficult to use (i.e. to navigate through and not lose your place in the file). I like the fact that one can create a single bilingual review file for multiple TXLF files simultaneously in WFP5, but... unfortunately that single file does not contain a single table, so some of the time won is lost again, especially if you have dozens upon dozens of files. In WFP5, you can chain files (i.e. open multiple files in a single view), which is nice. But WFP5 is slow, and I often accidentally paste stuff into random segments that were meant to be pasted into e.g. the Find/Replace dialog. And oddities, like for example your bilingual review files must all be saved in a single folder.

It is worth learning how to use WFP5, because it offers some features that you might want. But WFP3 has features that WFP5 doesn't have, so knowing both tools is best.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Basic Worfast Pro 5 Questions

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »