https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/60066-poll_on_average_on_which_day_do_you_receive_the_most_job_offers.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: On average, on which day do you receive the most job offers?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 20, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "On average, which day do you receive the most job offers?".

This poll was originally submitted by rifkind

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more info
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "On average, which day do you receive the most job offers?".

This poll was originally submitted by rifkind

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-11-20 17:14]
Collapse

Stephen Rifkind
Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 14:23
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Grammatical Correction Nov 20, 2006

Dear Moderator:

Certain hours bring creative thoughts, but also incorrect grammar.

Could you please correct the question to: On which day.

The brain and the hand are not always in sync.

Thank you.

Stephen Rifkind

klghemil ghseil
klghemil ghseil
Equatorial Guinea
Local time: 13:23
frightening. Nov 20, 2006

what the hell kind of geek keeps track of crap like that?

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
It was Friday, but not anymore ;-) Nov 20, 2006

Some of clients preferred to send their jobs on Friday (often, in the evening) and wanted the jobs to be done by Monday morning. After noticing that it had been becoming a routine, I stated it clearly that I charged 30% more when I had to work weekends.

In a magical way, all deadlines became not so urgent, so starting from that moment (it was about 2 years ago) I always include weekends in my deadline evaluations and s
... See more
Some of clients preferred to send their jobs on Friday (often, in the evening) and wanted the jobs to be done by Monday morning. After noticing that it had been becoming a routine, I stated it clearly that I charged 30% more when I had to work weekends.

In a magical way, all deadlines became not so urgent, so starting from that moment (it was about 2 years ago) I always include weekends in my deadline evaluations and state the fact clearly. Common, ppl, I have a wife who needs a donkey to overload with goods when she goes out for shopping on Saturday! Otherwise I usually discuss a suprlus for urgent jobs - and when they DO need the work to be done by Monday, they don't usually argue.
Collapse

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Turkish to English
+ ...
Fridays Nov 20, 2006

I note a marked tendency for job offers to come towards the end of the week, and I rarely receive offers on Monday mornings. I frequently receive requests on Friday afternoons for work that is required first thing on Moday morning.
I disagree with the above comment in that there are clearly discernable patterns to the way job offers come - both in terms of time of day, day of the week and time of the year.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
In my case it is Friday Nov 20, 2006

Lawyers always send big documents on a Friday that they want translated by Monday. They usually arrive on a Friday evening (6 or 7 p.m.) after the secretary has finished typing them, and after I already thought that I was going to get a free weekend.

Astrid

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Friday phenomenon Nov 20, 2006

Kirill Semenov wrote:

In a magical way, all deadlines became not so urgent

Funny to see how our experiences are alike

Friday is certainly the most hectic day - often all urgent jobs have been finished at 2 pm and I can look forward to a weekend far away from office. All of a sudden many clients (as if there were some kind of secret agreement I don't know of) start to sweep their desks, discovering important documents they have had since Tuesday, and need back "urgently" for Monday morning.

In such cases I tell my clients that we need to charge 50 until 100 % extra for this express work. After all, the clients usually don't work at weekend. In many cases the clients can wait until Tuesday.. so after all, the translation wasn't that "urgent".

It's a typical Friday phenomenon, maybe a sign of panic (by the way, you can often notice the same behaviour before longer holidays).

Regards
Erik

Erik Hansson ( SFÖ )
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Website www.hansson.de
ProZ profile http://www.proz.com/pro/21654

Claire Titchmarsh (X)
Claire Titchmarsh (X)  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
The same kind of geek that answers these polls Nov 20, 2006

Jennifer Hackney wrote:

what the hell kind of geek keeps track of crap like that?

Why is it crap?

There is a definite pattern to job offers, and if you tune into it, it can help you avoid nasty jobs, late nights or weekend working (by being mysteriously unavailable on a Friday afternoon, for example). (Oops, if any of my clients are reading this, I always pick the phone up the instant it rings, honest!!)

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
N/A Nov 20, 2006

As soon as I make plans to do something really fun, pleasant and/or interesting.

[Edited at 2006-11-20 17:11]

Shaun Avis
Shaun Avis
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Definitely not crap Nov 20, 2006

Among my clientele, there is a clear trend toward the end of the week, especially Friday. I have the feeling that they pass the projects from desk to desk all week, as if it were a game of pass the parcel, and then on Friday somebody suddenly realises to their horror that the whole thing has to be translated and ready for a presentation at 9 am Monday morning. I assume this is the case from the panicky tone in the secretary’s voice when she phones me at 4 pm Friday afternoon.

Shaun

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 07:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
First thing Monday morning! Nov 20, 2006

Maybe this is just Puerto Rico, but in my experience, not much gets done on Friday afternoons. When somebody finds that urgent document, s/he apparently thinks something like, "Uh oh, forgot that. Gotta do something. First thing Monday morning!" So I tend to get a lot of phone calls and emails on Monday and Tuesday.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
End of the month and the week before a holiday Nov 20, 2006

I don't see a strong weekly pattern. Some days are just panic, and some are quieter. I do lots of quite small jobs, so they do sometimes tend to cluster, especially at the end of the month.

Most years, during the week before Christmas and the week before the summer holidays I am desperately trying to get my work out of the way, and equally desperate PMs are trying to place jobs and explain to clients that translators do not actually work extra when everyone else is on holiday!
... See more
I don't see a strong weekly pattern. Some days are just panic, and some are quieter. I do lots of quite small jobs, so they do sometimes tend to cluster, especially at the end of the month.

Most years, during the week before Christmas and the week before the summer holidays I am desperately trying to get my work out of the way, and equally desperate PMs are trying to place jobs and explain to clients that translators do not actually work extra when everyone else is on holiday!

Clients seem to clear their desks and send lots of big projects on about 20 December, hoping they will be finished and waiting for them on 2 January. The same before the industrial holiday here - big jobs pour in, which clients hope will be ready when they come back at the beginning of August.

I firmly say no thanks!
I work late and sometimes at weekends the rest of the year, but relaxing properly and seeing my family from Sweden and the UK - and Australia this year, whoopee!! - take priority.

I never run out of work...

[Edited at 2006-11-21 14:35]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:23
English to French
+ ...
Friday Nov 21, 2006

Often at 4 pm. With a message along the lines of "I know it's almost the weekend but you are really our favorite translator. Can you get it done for Monday?"

Of course, they don't mention anything about my favorite rate for working overtime...

heikeb
heikeb  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 12:23
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
question of perception? Nov 21, 2006

It might also be possible that we notice incoming jobs more clearly on Friday afternoon, when we're mentally already in weekend mode. "Ah. that's so typical, Friday afternoon, here we go again."

The same number of jobs coming in on Tuesday afternoon might be considered completely normal.

I think Erik's description of the weekend mood being suddenly interrupted is quite interesting in this regard:

Friday is certainly the most hectic day - often all urgent jobs have been finished at 2 pm and I can look forward to a weekend far away from office. All of a sudden many clients (as if there were some kind of secret agreement I don't know of) start to sweep their desks, discovering important documents they have had since Tuesday, and need back "urgently" for Monday morning.

I do remember many a Friday when it got pretty crazy towards the end of the day, but there are also many Fridays when I can start the weekend early (by also working a couple of hours over the weekend) since there are no new jobs coming in. That should also average things out quite a bit.

I need to see some numbers and statistics before I can be converted into a believer!

Stephen Rifkind
Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Relevance Nov 21, 2006

To relate to the comment, albeit cleaned up a bit, concerning why this is important, I make it a practice to be near the computer all day Thursday, my most fruitful day in terms of new jobs. I can go to the mall or play with my daughter on Sunday, a working day in Israel, but I am loth to do so on Thursday.

Also, if I have had a slow week, many times it picks up on Thursday, meaning, unfortunately and fortunately, some work on Saturday and Sunday.

I was curious about o
... See more
To relate to the comment, albeit cleaned up a bit, concerning why this is important, I make it a practice to be near the computer all day Thursday, my most fruitful day in terms of new jobs. I can go to the mall or play with my daughter on Sunday, a working day in Israel, but I am loth to do so on Thursday.

Also, if I have had a slow week, many times it picks up on Thursday, meaning, unfortunately and fortunately, some work on Saturday and Sunday.

I was curious about other's experiences.

Stephen Rifkind
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: On average, on which day do you receive the most job offers?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »