Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: On average, on which day do you receive the most job offers?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 17:57
English to Indonesian
+ ...
No pattern Nov 21, 2006

I am a full-time freelance translator. Indeed, it is stated in my CV that I work seven days a week. To me, my weekends are the days when I have no job; these are my holidays. It is not a burden at all because I love translating - it leads to personal satisfaction and income.
Therefore, there is no pattern of receiving jobs. Some clients offer jobs to me on Mondays, some other on Fridays, and even on Saturdays and Sundays.
For potential jobs from Australia, I often should stand by in
... See more
I am a full-time freelance translator. Indeed, it is stated in my CV that I work seven days a week. To me, my weekends are the days when I have no job; these are my holidays. It is not a burden at all because I love translating - it leads to personal satisfaction and income.
Therefore, there is no pattern of receiving jobs. Some clients offer jobs to me on Mondays, some other on Fridays, and even on Saturdays and Sundays.
For potential jobs from Australia, I often should stand by in front of my PC from 6 am until 2 pm; for those from the UK from 3 pm to 11 pm; and for those from the US from 9 pm to midnight.
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
No pattern / Question of perception eliminated Nov 21, 2006

Having informed/educated my clients to please avoid planning my weekends for me (at their own risk, since if I'm away on a weekend that's an assumed risk), I find there is no real pattern in their needs.

(I guess it just seems to be "two steps backwards" to me after the labour movement finally succeeded in imposing a 40-hour work week to be back doing Florence Nightingale trench duty at a whim).

It's possible I have another perception -- that on Monday mornings, there a
... See more
Having informed/educated my clients to please avoid planning my weekends for me (at their own risk, since if I'm away on a weekend that's an assumed risk), I find there is no real pattern in their needs.

(I guess it just seems to be "two steps backwards" to me after the labour movement finally succeeded in imposing a 40-hour work week to be back doing Florence Nightingale trench duty at a whim).

It's possible I have another perception -- that on Monday mornings, there are rarely long rush jobs, and that those documents begin to pour in Monday afternoons or Tuesdays (unless they came in Friday to be started on Monday).

I DO accept working on weekends at a surcharge, and there ARE clients who have real emergencies in this sense, but they're all cases of "controlled chaos", in the sense that I have been notified and booked beforehand, and they are advised (in numbers and statistics) as to the physical limits of a weekend.
Collapse

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:57
Spanish to English
No real pattern Nov 21, 2006

I am not aware of any day being more laden with offers than others. However, as I am not generally "in the office" on Friday afternoons, in other words I am either out or not in front of the computer (and my regulars seem to know that by now), I do not get many offers then at all (which is good, as by that stage my weekend will already have been organised, one way or another). If a client contacts me on Saturday or Sunday I do not usually reply until Monday morning.

Sarah Brenchley
Sarah Brenchley  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends on the deadline Nov 21, 2006

Jennifer Hackney wrote:

what the hell kind of geek keeps track of crap like that?

It's not a question of being a geek, simply observing what happens.
In my case, I work a lot with universities so most of my work comes in between 1 and 7 days before the deadline for publications, conferences, etc.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I write up jobs on a sheet of paper in the order they come in! Nov 21, 2006

Primitive, but idiot-proof. I make out a sheet of paper for each month and write down job, client, no. of words and deadline as each comes in. Some days several jobs come in. (There may be only 20-50 words in some, though most get up to 500-1000 and a few to 5000 - 10,000). Other days none come in at all, but there is no particularly popular weekday, more a monthly cycle, as I said above.

I tick off a box on the right when they're delivered, and another when they're invoiced. My acc
... See more
Primitive, but idiot-proof. I make out a sheet of paper for each month and write down job, client, no. of words and deadline as each comes in. Some days several jobs come in. (There may be only 20-50 words in some, though most get up to 500-1000 and a few to 5000 - 10,000). Other days none come in at all, but there is no particularly popular weekday, more a monthly cycle, as I said above.

I tick off a box on the right when they're delivered, and another when they're invoiced. My accountant keeps track of whether I get paid!
Collapse

reebecca (X)
reebecca (X)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Interesting Nov 21, 2006

Hmmm... some of these replies sound really interesting.

I usually receive translations on Friday afternoon but they never ask whether it would be possible for me to work in the weekend. I simply get a email with the document and as text:

"To be done by Monday morning" and that's it.

They just expect me to get it done by then.

I guess I'm too nice!
See more
Hmmm... some of these replies sound really interesting.

I usually receive translations on Friday afternoon but they never ask whether it would be possible for me to work in the weekend. I simply get a email with the document and as text:

"To be done by Monday morning" and that's it.

They just expect me to get it done by then.

I guess I'm too nice!

Rebecca x
Collapse

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Statistics Nov 21, 2006

Well, since we register all the incoming projects in an excel sheet (PO date among other issues) I spent some time for you guys and counted specific weekdays projects came in of one year backwards.

Here are the (rounded) results for a total of 128 jobs (ranging from 100 to 40,000 words):

- Monday: 16%
- Tuesday: 15%
- Wedensday: 22%
- Thursday: 19%
- Friday: 27%
- Saturday: 2% (colleagues needing help)
- Sunday: 1% (colleagues needing
... See more
Well, since we register all the incoming projects in an excel sheet (PO date among other issues) I spent some time for you guys and counted specific weekdays projects came in of one year backwards.

Here are the (rounded) results for a total of 128 jobs (ranging from 100 to 40,000 words):

- Monday: 16%
- Tuesday: 15%
- Wedensday: 22%
- Thursday: 19%
- Friday: 27%
- Saturday: 2% (colleagues needing help)
- Sunday: 1% (colleagues needing help)

So even when it is slight, it seems in our case there is a tendency for Fridays, even though it is not too marked.
Monday and Tuesdays are more quiet, though.

Back to work now, take care!

Andres
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: On average, on which day do you receive the most job offers?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »