Clean up in Trados
Thread poster: Michael Alger
Michael Alger
Michael Alger
Local time: 08:38
German to English
Mar 22, 2009

I'm fairly new to Trados, which might perhaps explain the problem somewhat. My problem is that once I've translated a file and want to clean it up, the file disappears. Completely. I don't just mean from the monitor - I really mean from my system.

When I run the clean up command my Word window goes blank. The file has gone. I've tried running a search for the file on my computer (on all drives) and I cannot find the file at all. What am I doing wrong?

My solution so fa
... See more
I'm fairly new to Trados, which might perhaps explain the problem somewhat. My problem is that once I've translated a file and want to clean it up, the file disappears. Completely. I don't just mean from the monitor - I really mean from my system.

When I run the clean up command my Word window goes blank. The file has gone. I've tried running a search for the file on my computer (on all drives) and I cannot find the file at all. What am I doing wrong?

My solution so far has been to translate in Trados - I feel this is a program I should be using after all - and to clean it up in Wordfast - a program I've used quite happily in the past. Although this gets the job done, it's a pretty stupid way to work. I would be grateful for any help.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:38
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Conversion to rtf Mar 22, 2009

is the problem and most probably this causes the file to dissapear.
You can easily avoid this kind of problems, when you follow these steps:
- Save a copy of your translated file in rtf format.
- Open the original translated file in Word.
- In Word press ALT+F8 to get to the macro window.
- In the field for macro name type "TW"
- From the macro list (now all beginning with "TW" are listed) chose the one called "TW4clean.main" and let it run - either by double
... See more
is the problem and most probably this causes the file to dissapear.
You can easily avoid this kind of problems, when you follow these steps:
- Save a copy of your translated file in rtf format.
- Open the original translated file in Word.
- In Word press ALT+F8 to get to the macro window.
- In the field for macro name type "TW"
- From the macro list (now all beginning with "TW" are listed) chose the one called "TW4clean.main" and let it run - either by double clicking the name of the macro or with the coresponding command.
- Do not type anything else in the macro name line now! Would you do so, the name of macro will be changed and you will not find it anymore!
- Your file is cleaned. Check headers, footers and text boxes - possibly not all of them will already be cleaned. If something remains uncleaned place the cursor in this element and perform the same macro again.
- Now go to Workbench and clean the rtf copy you saved previously. This way you ensure any change from the translated file will also update the TM. This is because the TW4clean.main macro does NOT update the TM. After the cleanup you can delete the rtf and its backup.

Good luck
Best regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Where did you run the command? Mar 22, 2009

Michael Alger wrote:

Did you run the command from Word/from Workbench?

Michael Alger
Michael Alger
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Workbench Mar 22, 2009

Wojciech Froelich wrote:

Did you run the command from Word/from Workbench?

From the Workbench. Why? Is there a difference besides what Jerzy wrote about updating the TM?

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Was the file open in the Word? Mar 22, 2009

Michael Alger wrote:

From the Workbench. Why? Is there a difference besides what Jerzy wrote about updating the TM?

Was the file open in Word when you run cleanup command?

Michael Alger
Michael Alger
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Clean up Mar 22, 2009

Wojciech Froelich wrote:

Was the file open in Word when you run cleanup command?

Yes, it was.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Would the file have been open in Word, an error message... Mar 22, 2009

saying "Access violation" would appear.
The fact, that Word window gets blank, is caused by Workbench, using Word in the background to convert the file to rtf.
I'm quite certain, if you try to save the file in Word as rtf, this will already cause problems.
Just follow the steps I gave you and everything should work fine.
You need the cleanup process in WB only for updating TM. If you do not have unupdated changes in
... See more
saying "Access violation" would appear.
The fact, that Word window gets blank, is caused by Workbench, using Word in the background to convert the file to rtf.
I'm quite certain, if you try to save the file in Word as rtf, this will already cause problems.
Just follow the steps I gave you and everything should work fine.
You need the cleanup process in WB only for updating TM. If you do not have unupdated changes in your file, you can simply forget the clenaup. Should you need the cleanup to update TM and have problems saving the file as rtf, remove all graphics, this usualy helps. But even if this does not help, take a copy of your uncleaned file and do a cleanup in WB with it. The file may dissapear afterwards - this doesn't matter at all, as the TM will be updated and this is simply a copy. You already have a cleaned file

BR
Jerzy
Collapse

Michael Alger
Michael Alger
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Jerzy Mar 22, 2009

Thanks a lot Jerzy. It worked. I'm just more than confused about the Trados Manual, though. This does not have single mention of the procedure you have described. Or does it? I've read and followed the User Guide, but it didn't seem to help much. How does everyone else manage? I just don't know!
Cheers
Michael

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Even Trados support did not always knew this process :) Mar 22, 2009

No, it isn't described in the manual.
But simply because of the fact, that the doc is being converted to rtf during the cleanup process you may very well run into trouble.
So following the process I described and separating production file (the original doc) from cleanup file (copy of the doc) helps. I do not use the cleanup process in Workbench for production since many years. Instead, I clean the file in Word with the macro and actualise the TM with a copy of uncleaned file. In suc
... See more
No, it isn't described in the manual.
But simply because of the fact, that the doc is being converted to rtf during the cleanup process you may very well run into trouble.
So following the process I described and separating production file (the original doc) from cleanup file (copy of the doc) helps. I do not use the cleanup process in Workbench for production since many years. Instead, I clean the file in Word with the macro and actualise the TM with a copy of uncleaned file. In such case I do not pay any attention to what happens with the copy for cleanup - it can simply be deleted afterwards.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Clean up in Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »