How to convert .pdf file to .rtf file?
Thread poster: miraclee
miraclee
miraclee
Local time: 19:06
English to Chinese
Apr 6, 2007

Hello friends

Could you kindly let me know which software can convert .PDF file to .rtf file so that it can be dealt with Trados, and re-install the translated .rtf file into the .PDF file.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards
Lee

Elvira Schmid
Elvira Schmid  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:06
English to German
Adobe Acrobat Professional 6.0 or higher Apr 6, 2007

Hi,

you need Adobe Acrobat Professional. You can save the file as rtf and translate it with Trados. After cleanup you can press the "convert to pdf" button in your word file (will be visible after installing Adoba Acrobat Professional) and the file will be reconverted to pdf. HTH.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:06
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
No perfect solution Apr 6, 2007

This is the most discussed subject here. You can search the forums for "pdf convertion".
But generally you should first of all ask the customer for a Word-compatible or Trados compatible file, that can be translated without losing formatting information.
You can convert pdf to doc or rft and translate and convert back to pdf, but the result will not satisfy the customer.
Usually the text is fed by someone else from the doc- or rtf-file into a dtp-software and that takes time.<
... See more
This is the most discussed subject here. You can search the forums for "pdf convertion".
But generally you should first of all ask the customer for a Word-compatible or Trados compatible file, that can be translated without losing formatting information.
You can convert pdf to doc or rft and translate and convert back to pdf, but the result will not satisfy the customer.
Usually the text is fed by someone else from the doc- or rtf-file into a dtp-software and that takes time.
So make sure to charge a fee for any convertion you have to do yourself.
Some software do a good job when converting pdf into doc. Last week I translated a 40 page file which I had converted with Abbyy Finereader. But the customer will have to do the dtp part themselves, because the source language is longer than the target language.
There are many pitfalls when converting. Simple copy and past will make a mess of most files and leave the linebreaks. In any case you have to check, if a hyphen is there because it should be or because it was there because the word was on two lines in the pdf.

Cheers
Heinrich
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
acrobat professional 8.0 Apr 6, 2007

Hi! you should try it. It is probably the best of all acrobat versions so far. One could save a file in multiple formats, split and merge the content, annotate and best of all, one could record all mail communication as a matter or proof or for the purpose of archiving. All that goes as far I can see, with a few simple clicks. It is indeed a very impressive of all acro-BATS. Well that was the adobe´s slogan, print on the fliy or make documents portable within no time. BTW through the option o... See more
Hi! you should try it. It is probably the best of all acrobat versions so far. One could save a file in multiple formats, split and merge the content, annotate and best of all, one could record all mail communication as a matter or proof or for the purpose of archiving. All that goes as far I can see, with a few simple clicks. It is indeed a very impressive of all acro-BATS. Well that was the adobe´s slogan, print on the fliy or make documents portable within no time. BTW through the option of change to higher resolution the files get fatter somewhat but one gets better results as well. Swell stuff.Best Brandis

[Edited at 2007-04-06 07:55]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
warning... Apr 6, 2007

PDF format is a container for just about anything. It can well happen, that - instead of a text - the PDF file one has to translate contains pages and pages of images of text. In this case the only solution is OCR.

In any case, the job of converting is and honest (and often a nerve-wrecking) work, which means it has to be charged and paid separately, additional to the translation. Best you charge your time for it.

Creating PDF from RTF of course is easy - Open
... See more
PDF format is a container for just about anything. It can well happen, that - instead of a text - the PDF file one has to translate contains pages and pages of images of text. In this case the only solution is OCR.

In any case, the job of converting is and honest (and often a nerve-wrecking) work, which means it has to be charged and paid separately, additional to the translation. Best you charge your time for it.

Creating PDF from RTF of course is easy - OpenOffice for instance does it, and so does a number of other programs, not just the daddy of them all, Adobe Acrobat.

Regards

Vito

[Edited at 2007-04-06 08:32]
Collapse

abWebDesign
abWebDesign
English to Italian
Try this URL Apr 6, 2007

convert .PDF file to .rtf file

At this URL

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/access_onlinetools.html

Adobe provides online PDF to HTML conversion. If your PDF document is made of real text rather than images, this will work.

Then you can open the generated HTML file in Word, do some maquillage and save it as RTF.

Finally, the document can be exported in PDF format by one of the many existing tools - the free PDF Creator, or Open Office export feature.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:06
English to French
+ ...
AutoUnbreak Apr 6, 2007

Try this freeware, it is exactly for the purpose you described. It reads all text in the PDF (provided your PDF is not a scan or image file), then deletes all unneeded line breaks and keeps the formatting, too (bold text will stay bold, italics, colours, etc.). If I remember correctly, it even retains indents and bullets. Once the RTF pops out at the end of the process, you will only have very minimal formatting to do.

You can downlo
... See more
Try this freeware, it is exactly for the purpose you described. It reads all text in the PDF (provided your PDF is not a scan or image file), then deletes all unneeded line breaks and keeps the formatting, too (bold text will stay bold, italics, colours, etc.). If I remember correctly, it even retains indents and bullets. Once the RTF pops out at the end of the process, you will only have very minimal formatting to do.

You can download AutoUnbreak here:

http://digital.hollmen.dk/products/autounbreak/index.htm

All the best!

P.S.: Let me know how you like it. I am not affiliated in any way with the website or the software, but I am a fan of this product - it has saved me lots of time!
Collapse

miraclee
miraclee
Local time: 19:06
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your kind assistance Apr 7, 2007

The PDF is made from image file. I found that the ABBYY finereader is the best way to get text even if it is not good enough to get all text.

Wendell Quadros
Wendell Quadros
Brazil
Local time: 08:06
English to Portuguese
Solid Converter PDF 3.1 Apr 12, 2007

Hi everybody.

I use the "Solid Converter PDF" to convert PDF to RTF.

This software recognizes tables, images and columns, and it will almost not use text boxes (the TRADOS, for example, doesn't work very well with text boxes).

The result is a RTF file with a similar appearance as PDF and the texts are easily accessible.

I hope this tip can help you.

Regards,
Wendell Quadros

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to convert .pdf file to .rtf file?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »