Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
As a reverse auction site, is ProZ.com genuinely serving translators? (Staff: 'no auctions')
Thread poster: Brian KEEGAN (X)
Aardvark Sweden
Aardvark Sweden
Local time: 21:18
Swedish to English
Clarification... Oct 30, 2004

[quote]Norbert Gunther Kramer wrote:

PointBlank wrote:
Without us, the agencies, there would be no work for the translators.

That's not really true, is it? If all translation agencies disappeared from the face of the earth tomorrow, clients would simply hire translators directly.
quote]

You're right, of course, I didn't express myself clearly enough. What I meant was that here at Proz, almost all jobs seem to emanate from agencies. So without the agencies, there would hardly be much of a site, would it?

Also: thanks for your reply, Henry, but it was really confusing... What did you mean?

Ruxi
Ruxi
German to Romanian
+ ...
Some remarks... Oct 30, 2004

I totally agree with Aleksandr.

For Marcus:Only some remarks

1. Where do you know who bidded and at what price and above all, whom the outsourcer has selected? Where do you know it was not a lower price than yours, or a worse translator? It is all secret.
I met here enough cases where people have got jobs they actually are not able to do (according also to the questions on KudoZ).I mean they had opportunities,it is nothing wrong about that.
General rules als
... See more
I totally agree with Aleksandr.

For Marcus:Only some remarks

1. Where do you know who bidded and at what price and above all, whom the outsourcer has selected? Where do you know it was not a lower price than yours, or a worse translator? It is all secret.
I met here enough cases where people have got jobs they actually are not able to do (according also to the questions on KudoZ).I mean they had opportunities,it is nothing wrong about that.
General rules also have exceptions. Always.
Your advice are good meant and theoretically should help, but they don't in practice.
a. Outsourcers do never look on our profiles, otherwise they would select translators this way, directly and not by means of bidding.
b. We all have to have the opportunity to show what we really can do and not papers and pictures and profiles on a web-site.
I can write thousands of years of experience, titles, medalls and rewards in my profile. Would you believe me just like that and hire me immediately?
Finally: everybody wants when selling, high prices, money,jobs a.s.o.
On the other hand we want also when we buy : low prices and high quality. This is the slogan of a good business.

Ruxi
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:18
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Translators BB Oct 30, 2004

PointBlank wrote:

Again, Henry the Founder: Why are you so opposed to this? Without us, the agencies, there would be no work for the translators. Isn't it time to look out for our legitimate concerns as well?

This has been discussed extensively in the past and the general consensus was that single translators cannot be compared to agencies since one bad rating can do a lot of professional damage (and we all know that the relationship between translators and outsourcers is not entirely black and white). Agencies have more power to recover from bad ratings than single individuals. Just search the forums for the discussion.

Finally, do you really believe that without agencies there would be no work for translators? Many of us don't work for agencies and I think we are doing pretty well, thank you very much!

Giovanni

[Edited at 2004-10-30 10:16]

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
English Oct 30, 2004

Ruxi wrote:
Your advice are good meant and theoretically should help, but they don't in practice.

As I wrote above, they worked for me and I think they should work for Brian too since I know his situation and it's almost similar to mine.

Outsourcers do never look on our profiles, otherwise they would select translators this way, directly and not by means of bidding.

Not true. I get regular offers through my profile with outsourcers writing me directly from my profile.

We all have to have the opportunity to show what we really can do and not papers and pictures and profiles on a web-site.
I can write thousands of years of experience, titles, medalls and rewards in my profile. Would you believe me just like that and hire me immediately?

My answer is no. I don't need to look at your "years of experience, titles, medalls [sic] and rewards". With respect, but if I were an outsourcer, I would never hire you to translate into English simply based on the way you write in English. If you're trying to sell yourself as an English translator, your English has to be impeccable.

On the other hand we want also when we buy : low prices and high quality. This is the slogan of a good business.

If that works for you (low prices and high quality), then why is there a discussion at all? You must be overflowing with work now. If you're not, then your strategy needs tweaking.

m

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:18
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Are you sure about that? Dec 14, 2004

messier wrote:
Pro-z is nothing more than yet another parisite in the already flea-bitten corpus of our industry.

Another layer of "intermediaries" who want their share of the bread in your mouth.

Although they may want it ('tis normal nowadays), ProZ hasn't received a dime from me - I have, however, received several jobs since I started "lurking" here...

messier wrote:
My question is not why should translators sign up for online sweatshops like Pro-z.

Rather, what have we got to lose by boycotting this scam?

Where in the world would that get me? How could not coming here and not getting well-paid jobs (not to mention contacts galore) possibly be better? Do you know something that I don't know? If so, please do tell.

As for the "sweatshop" bit, I also don't feel at all pressured to take part in this site. On the contrary, I come and go as I please, and I'm sure that you may do the same - I see no need for boycotting, and I certainly see no signs of a scam.

What's all the fuss about? I don't see ProZ affecting the prices of translations to any measurable extent: the translators are. If translators would stop quoting such ridiculously low prices or bidding on jobs from agencies demanding such low prices, those offering jobs would be forced to pay more... it seems that it is up to us.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

As a reverse auction site, is ProZ.com genuinely serving translators? (Staff: 'no auctions')

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »