Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: As a freelancer, do you keep fixed working hours?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
maryblack
maryblack  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:27
Member (2013)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Exactly Jan 21, 2011

Mary Worby wrote:

Because I have to work around school hours.

My daughter's schedule determines mine.

Clair Pickworth
Clair Pickworth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:27
French to English
No... Jan 21, 2011

I have three young children and work around their hours, so yes I work when they're out at school, but having to leave home and pick them up at 3.30/4pm does cut the working day short, so I often find myself working again in the evening. In fact, once everyone's gone to bed is often the best, quietest time - no phone calls or other distractions that often crop up during the day!

Sonia Hill
Sonia Hill
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:27
Italian to English
Same here Jan 21, 2011

Clair@Lexeme wrote:

I have three young children and work around their hours, so yes I work when they're out at school, but having to leave home and pick them up at 3.30/4pm does cut the working day short, so I often find myself working again in the evening. In fact, once everyone's gone to bed is often the best, quietest time - no phone calls or other distractions that often crop up during the day!

I try to restrict my working hours to when my children are at nursery, but I often end up working in the evenings too and of course, if one of them is ill, then I have to work around that as well.
At the moment they go to nursery part-time, but as I work pretty much full-time I need to find extra hours for work whenever I can - generally once everyone is in bed!

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:27
Portuguese to English
+ ...
No Jan 21, 2011

I have no little kids and live alone. Also, I'm a bit of a night owl. I hardly ever get to bed before 2 a.m. But I try to accommodate my clients by having the computer on between 10 and 10:30 a.m. They're hardly even in their offices before that, anyway.

I work at all different hours of the day and night. If I get a job that's due early the next morning I always get it done the night before and send it off then. I often work in the evenings or sometimes even late at night. I also ha
... See more
I have no little kids and live alone. Also, I'm a bit of a night owl. I hardly ever get to bed before 2 a.m. But I try to accommodate my clients by having the computer on between 10 and 10:30 a.m. They're hardly even in their offices before that, anyway.

I work at all different hours of the day and night. If I get a job that's due early the next morning I always get it done the night before and send it off then. I often work in the evenings or sometimes even late at night. I also have other activities I do besides translating that I need to work on every day, so I make a list every day and check it off as I do each thing, since I never do anything at a fixed time. That's the only way I can make sure I get everything (or nearly everything) done!

I would find it impossible to do a 9 to 5 job at this point in my life.

[Edited at 2011-01-21 12:41 GMT]
Collapse

paulkrida
paulkrida  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 22:27
English to Thai
No, I love challenge Jan 21, 2011

I have been working without fixed hours since my employed job. If people work 9 to 5, I do 8 to7. I sometime work in the weekend. It gave good career growth as well as advance earning, more importantly, it also gave invaluable life experiences and subject skills that money can't buy.

It may sound crazy, but I did not force myself to do so. I just enjoy it, that all. When you enjoy, you don't feel like working
... See more
I have been working without fixed hours since my employed job. If people work 9 to 5, I do 8 to7. I sometime work in the weekend. It gave good career growth as well as advance earning, more importantly, it also gave invaluable life experiences and subject skills that money can't buy.

It may sound crazy, but I did not force myself to do so. I just enjoy it, that all. When you enjoy, you don't feel like working

[Edited at 2011-01-21 13:16 GMT]
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Sounds like a typical description of my days! Jan 21, 2011

neilmac wrote:

Mainly because I don't have young children to get up and out to school, and I work from home, so don't need to get myself up and out to commute/work.
Right now I'm sitting in my pyjamas, having risen at 9am, listening to the coffee burbling merrily away and just about to put digit to keyboard on more pressing matters than this post....

... except that I do try to get dressed, especially at this time of year. I like to keep my head cool, but then my pyjamas are not warm enough.

That said, no two days are alike, so sometimes I do get get up early. I prefer working late, but if I know a client is sending a job, then I have a husband who likes to get up early and can roll me out of bed

I have to go for my walk while there is at least officially some daylight, or I succumb to depression in February. That calls for a break in the working day when there are only 7½ hours of daylight! I like evening walks, when work is more or less done.

But now we are close on 8½ hours of daylight - and going the right way. There have been some beautiful icy sunsets this week, and the snow is almost gone... Roll on spring!!

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 10:27
German to English
+ ...
Mostly Jan 21, 2011

I've always tried to stick to some sort of schedule, or I find things getting out of hand!

This has worked better for me since I got married, as I go to my desk when my husband leaves (around 8 am) and stop about 5-6 when he gets home.

I do, though, enjoy the ability to take time off whenever I have a lighter load, take lunch breaks in the garden, go for a walk when I need to clear my head, and get shopping, banking and appointments taken care of when it suits me, rathe
... See more
I've always tried to stick to some sort of schedule, or I find things getting out of hand!

This has worked better for me since I got married, as I go to my desk when my husband leaves (around 8 am) and stop about 5-6 when he gets home.

I do, though, enjoy the ability to take time off whenever I have a lighter load, take lunch breaks in the garden, go for a walk when I need to clear my head, and get shopping, banking and appointments taken care of when it suits me, rather than when it suits my boss!

I've had 2 emergency dental appointments in the past 3 weeks, and although it did throw my planned translations off by a day in each case, it was great not to have to worry about "taking time off work" or being back at my desk within an hour, etc. I've also been able to "drop everything" when friends have needed help and make up the time in the evenings, or the next day. Life is good!

[Edited at 2011-01-21 17:18 GMT]
Collapse

Ine Ramaekers
Ine Ramaekers  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
No Jan 21, 2011

Being able to choose my hours was one of the biggest reasons for me becoming a freelancer, so no, I don't keep fixed working hours. I am also an evening/night person and I don't deal very well with getting up in the morning, so I'm more likely to start around noon and to work until very late if necessary.

Since I also work as an interpreter for the EU, on my working days for them I have fixed hours, but as I get home pretty late and leave pretty early, on my days off (the days wher
... See more
Being able to choose my hours was one of the biggest reasons for me becoming a freelancer, so no, I don't keep fixed working hours. I am also an evening/night person and I don't deal very well with getting up in the morning, so I'm more likely to start around noon and to work until very late if necessary.

Since I also work as an interpreter for the EU, on my working days for them I have fixed hours, but as I get home pretty late and leave pretty early, on my days off (the days where i'll do most of my translations), I tend to sleep in before starting work.
Collapse

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:27
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The answer is no Jan 21, 2011

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I worked in offices more than 30 years, so now I reward myself with the joy of being able to work when I feel like it. For me, that's the whole point of freelancing.

Exactly my thought, Muriel!

Great weekend to all!
Marina

María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 11:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not at all Jan 21, 2011

neilmac wrote:

Mainly because I don't have young children to get up and out to school, and I work from home, so don't need to get myself up and out to commute/work.
In the past I have had "normal" jobs, early rising, come rain or shine, and bosses, and lower income, so I don't really feel I'm missing out on anything here...
Right now I'm sitting in my pyjamas, having risen at 9am, listening to the coffee burbling merrily away and just about to put digit to keyboard on more pressing matters than this post....

Same thing here!

I can't get myself to work "seriously" (unless a deadline is hanging over my head) until sunset. That's when working hours regularly start for me. Daylight means shopping, cooking, cleaning house, visiting my parents, etc.

I love my freelance career!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: As a freelancer, do you keep fixed working hours?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »