Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What do you do when you get sick while working on a project?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:02
English to Italian
same here Jun 22, 2011

Interlangue wrote:

You mean "sick" or "sick"?
If I am sick but well enough to work, I continue working.
If I am unable to continue working on a long project, I arrange to take a little time off to get better and work full time + extra right afterwards.
If I realize I will not manage, I contact the client and we figure out something together.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 01:02
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
One of the above - it depends! Jun 22, 2011

Last January when I slipped on the ice and landed a very painful place, I had an important deadline... and my adjustable office chair was the most comfortable place in the house.

Colds and tummy bugs - I make lots of hot lemon drinks, wrap myself in an extra shawl and keep working.

Fever and headaches, especially migraine - I call the client and/or a colleague and work out what we can do. If possible, extending the deadline is the easiest. My migraine medication is high
... See more
Last January when I slipped on the ice and landed a very painful place, I had an important deadline... and my adjustable office chair was the most comfortable place in the house.

Colds and tummy bugs - I make lots of hot lemon drinks, wrap myself in an extra shawl and keep working.

Fever and headaches, especially migraine - I call the client and/or a colleague and work out what we can do. If possible, extending the deadline is the easiest. My migraine medication is highly effective and I am comfortable, but I make stupid mistakes if I try to work within twenty-four hours, so I need a proofreader!

I try to arrange deadlines so that there is time to sleep off a migraine if necesary, but it is not always possible. But then I have also reached an age where migraine attacks are nothing like as frequent or severe as they used to be, just more unpredictable.
Collapse

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:02
Spanish to English
Keep on working but it's awful Jun 22, 2011

Fortunately I have only had this problem with 'flu, but once was enough. Now as soon as I feel that I might be coming down with something, I take garlic, Vitamin C and echinacea, take a hot water bottle to bed with me and anything else that I remember might once have helped. And now it is extremely rare for me to get a cold or the 'flu.

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 19:02
I normally get really sick Jun 22, 2011

after finishing the job ...

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:02
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Work while sick Jun 23, 2011

I once made the mistake of telling a client I was in the hospital. They took the job away from me, and it represented about three months' income. I will never again confess that I'm sick.

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:02
Continue working Jun 23, 2011

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I will never again confess that I'm sick.

I continue working (if 'flu, fevers, and similar), but sleep for a couple of hours in the afternoon. I am generally healthy, but as Muriel says, never admit a bout of feeling under the weather to clients; I merely ensure proper rest and consume quantities of herbal remedies. Serious health problems of family members is more likely to cause me distraction that my own colds, or other ailments!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you do when you get sick while working on a project?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »