Vote and rate for your favourite entries in the current Translation Contest
Thread poster: Ana Moirano
Ana Moirano
Ana Moirano
Local time: 16:37
SITE STAFF
Jul 31, 2023

A translator's life 4 (1)

The ProZ.com translation contest, A translator's life, is on hybrid phase now, with source texts in English, Spanish, French, Indonesian and Italian.

In this "Hybrid phase", depending on the language pair, it is possible either to rate one or more entries, or to vote for the "best" translation among a group of finalists. In language pairs which have received fewer than three entries, the submission period has been extended to attempt to move those pairs into the final round.

The Hybrid phase is scheduled to end 24 Aug 2023 00:00 ART (GMT-3), after which the contest will move into the "Finals phase", where no more entries will be accepted, and winners will be determined in all remaining pairs.

Take a minute and have fun!

See the contest here »
Either submit your entry, rate entries or vote for the best finalist.

Ana
Member Services

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 21:37
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
No Jul 31, 2023

Ana Moirano wrote:

The ProZ.com translation contest, A translator's life, is on hybrid phase now, with source texts in English, Spanish, French, Indonesian and Italian.

In this "Hybrid phase", depending on the language pair, it is possible either to rate one or more entries, or to vote for the "best" translation among a group of finalists. In language pairs which have received fewer than three entries, the submission period has been extended to attempt to move those pairs into the final round.

The Hybrid phase is scheduled to end 24 Aug 2023 00:00 ART (GMT-3), after which the contest will move into the "Finals phase", where no more entries will be accepted, and winners will be determined in all remaining pairs.

See the contest here »

Ana
Member Services

We cannot submit entries as they are paused Ana. Did you open or were you going to open them again for entries?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:37
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Jul 31, 2023

For a while I did consider the Translation Contest both entertaining and challenging but I stopped taking part a few years ago and I don’t vote nor rate any entry as it has been going from bad to worse year after year.

Christel Zipfel
Riccardo Schiaffino
expressisverbis
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Thomas T. Frost

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Translation Contests Jul 31, 2023

I believe Proz have provided this initiative and continue to do so with good intent.
I have never participated or voted ever. I just "investigated" what was going on there.
Something that was meant to be a fair play turned into a wild race, imho...
The last time I did it, the winner of the European Portuguese translation contest was a Brazilian member.
By chance I noticed this and replied in a thread similar to this one. Fortunately, I was heard and the staff corrected t
... See more
I believe Proz have provided this initiative and continue to do so with good intent.
I have never participated or voted ever. I just "investigated" what was going on there.
Something that was meant to be a fair play turned into a wild race, imho...
The last time I did it, the winner of the European Portuguese translation contest was a Brazilian member.
By chance I noticed this and replied in a thread similar to this one. Fortunately, I was heard and the staff corrected the problem.
As long as problems like this or others happen, the contest will lose its "life" and some members will lose their interest as well.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Worse in what sense? Jul 31, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

For a while I did consider the Translation Contest both entertaining and challenging but I stopped taking part a few years ago and I don’t vote nor rate any entry as it has been going from bad to worse year after year.

May I ask in what sense it has become worse?

From time to time I participate, I find it sometimes challenging, entertaining a bit less.
Looking at my combinations (en, de, it > de, it), there are so many entries
that it is almost impossible to actually read them all, let alone rate them.
I wonder for example if the entries are displayed in random order every time you open the page,
or if the order is always the same.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-07-31 18:55 GMT]

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Worse in many senses... Jul 31, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

May I ask in what sense it has become worse?

From time to time I participate, I find it sometimes challenging, entertaining a bit less.
Looking at my combinations (en, de, it > de, it), there are so many entries
that it is almost impossible to actually read them all, let alone rate them.
I wonder for example if the entries are displayed in random order every time you open the page,
or if the order is always the same.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-07-31 18:55 GMT]

I can only speak for the language pairs I work in. Just for starters, there was an infamous contest where we had to wait for more than one year to get the results. In another one, although there are separate contests for European Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese (because of the differences in grammar, syntax and terminology) everything was so ill-organized that there were more Brazilian contestants than Portuguese contestants in the PT(pt) contest and the winner had to be disqualified. All this comes from the fact that the competition is poorly designed as the voters are the contestants themselves: are we impartial enough to be fair to other people’s entries? I doubt it, myself included…

expressisverbis
Zea_Mays
Barbara Carrara
FATIMAH RASHID
Thomas T. Frost

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Adding on Jul 31, 2023

Some of us have been saying for some time that the translation contest should be organized differently but, so far, we haven’t been heard…

See more
Some of us have been saying for some time that the translation contest should be organized differently but, so far, we haven’t been heard…

https://www2.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translation_contests/318892-plan_to_close_out_as_many_pairs_from_the_last_contest_as_possible_pave_the_way_for_new_contests.html?phpv_redirected=1#2681410
https://www2.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translation_contests/282808-next_translation_contest.html?phpv_redirected=1
https://www2.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translation_contests/273866-some_issues_with_how_grading_is_handled.html?phpv_redirected=1

[Edited at 2023-07-31 20:57 GMT]
Collapse

Barbara Carrara
Zea_Mays
Thomas T. Frost

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Open to non-paying members? Aug 1, 2023

So, where can I see whether this contest is open to non-paying members (i.e. what ProZ.com calls "users") in a particular language combination?

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
... Aug 1, 2023

I can only speak for the language pairs I work in. Just for starters, there was an infamous contest where we had to wait for more than one year to get the results. In another one, although there are separate contests for European Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese (because of the differences in grammar, syntax and terminology) everything was so ill-organized that there were more Brazilian contestants than Portuguese contestants in the PT(pt) contest and the winner had to be disqualified. All this comes from the fact that the competition is poorly designed as the voters are the contestants themselves: are we impartial enough to be fair to other people’s entries? I doubt it, myself included…

Regarding the impartiality aspect, my personal experience was that there are fair and unfair (or just clueless) people.
I remember one person (who after the contest's end, when names are shown, turned out to be a non-native speaker)
who disagreed on some terms in my entry, and that many peers voted against that disagree explaining why that person was wrong.
I also got many agrees on passages people liked.

As of my own impartiality, I try to be it as much as possible. It is quite easier to disagree on bad translations.
When I see a good solution, I give an agree on that passage. The good thing with the agree/disagree feature is
that you need to explain the reason.
The option to just grade the entries or opt for "no entry is good enough" is not that effective instead imho.

One aspect that IMO makes things difficult is as said the amount of entries for some combinations.

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
good inputs there Aug 1, 2023

(the urls are not displayed in your original post)

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
open to non-paying members? Aug 1, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

So, where can I see whether this contest is open to non-paying members (i.e. what ProZ.com calls "users") in a particular language combination?

I believe a non-paying member just needs to go to one of the pages and see if the option to submit an entry is available.
https://www.proz.com/translation-contests/pair/5110

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I suppose Aug 1, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:
I believe a non-paying member just needs to go to one of the pages and see if the option to submit an entry is available.

I suppose I could register a fake ProZ.com account and then try to register, to satisfy my curiosity. (-: But I prefer not to do that.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Who can participate - FAQ Aug 1, 2023

1.2 - Who can participate in contests? [Direct link]

"This may vary from contest to contest. In a few cases, where the ProZ.com member population does not appear to support competition in a given language pair, entry submission may be opened up to non-members as well, but in general entry submission is limited to ProZ.com members. Only ProZ.com members are eligible for the prizes to be awarded in the drawings held from among the winners at the end of annual contests. If you are not
... See more
1.2 - Who can participate in contests? [Direct link]

"This may vary from contest to contest. In a few cases, where the ProZ.com member population does not appear to support competition in a given language pair, entry submission may be opened up to non-members as well, but in general entry submission is limited to ProZ.com members. Only ProZ.com members are eligible for the prizes to be awarded in the drawings held from among the winners at the end of annual contests. If you are not already a member and are interested in participating in this contest, you may be eligible for a special discount on new ProZ.com membership. See this page for more details.***

Non-members can participate in the qualification and final voting rounds. Site users who have been registered on the site for at least one month and work in the same language pair in which they wish to vote will have the option of rating either "Quality of writing", "Accuracy of translation", or both. Those who are native speakers of the target language but do not work in the pair will be able to judge "Quality of writing" only.

Final voting in each pair will be open only to those users who have been registered on the site for at least one month, are native in the target language and work in the same language pair in which they wish to vote."

https://www.proz.com/faq/contests/contests:_general.html#what_are_proz_com_translation_contests_

***When I click on "See this page for more details", a message pops up "Something went wrong... You do not have permission to view this page".

[Edited at 2023-08-01 14:27 GMT]
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:37
French to Spanish
+ ...
Original is not right. Aug 1, 2023

"Empilés au sol.Entassés sur le moindre coin de table."
This is not right on the original.
Should be:
"Empilés au sol. Entassés sur le moindre coin de table."

Matthieu Ledoré

Ana Moirano
Ana Moirano
Local time: 16:37
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Language pairs activation Aug 2, 2023

Josephine Cassar wrote:

Ana Moirano wrote:

See the contest here »

Ana
Member Services

We cannot submit entries as they are paused Ana. Did you open or were you going to open them again for entries?

Dear Josephine, as you noticed, there was a twenty-minute delay in the activation of language pairs in the new hybrid phase. We apologise for the inconveniences caused.
Regards,

Ana
Member Services
ProZ.ccom

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Vote and rate for your favourite entries in the current Translation Contest

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »