Cat tool for book translation
Thread poster: Ana Zeta
Ana Zeta
Ana Zeta
German to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 26, 2023

Dear colleagues,

I would like to ask your opinion here. I am currently translating a book of social science articles, and I would like to know if you recommend using any CAT tool to make the translation of books easier. I’m sure the same question must have been asked before in this forum, but I haven’t been able to locate it, so I apologize if this has all already been covered!
Thank you!
Ana

Aboubacar DJIRE

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:02
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
what do you want it to do? Sep 27, 2023

Hi Ana,
I have only worked with a few standard CAT tools and they mostly do the same things. They all make it easy to work with glossaries and with segments or terms that occur repeatedly within a project or across different projects.
They can also be useful or even indispensable if clients want you to use a particular translation memory to ensure consistency with previous translations.

What is it that you want from a CAT tool? In other words, how do you want it to make
... See more
Hi Ana,
I have only worked with a few standard CAT tools and they mostly do the same things. They all make it easy to work with glossaries and with segments or terms that occur repeatedly within a project or across different projects.
They can also be useful or even indispensable if clients want you to use a particular translation memory to ensure consistency with previous translations.

What is it that you want from a CAT tool? In other words, how do you want it to make your work easier?
Collapse

Christine Andersen

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Ana Sep 27, 2023

Ana Zeta wrote:
I would like to ask your opinion here. I am currently translating a book of social science articles, and I would like to know if you recommend using any CAT tool to make the translation of books easier.

Any CAT tool will work fine, but you're more likely to get benefits from the glossary feature than from the translation memory feature, so when you choose a CAT tool, make sure you learn the glossary feature.

In what format is your source files? How computer literate are you? You could try e.g. Wordfast Anywhere (relatively cheap) or OmegaT, though both of them have a bit of a learning curve.

https://www.wordfast.com/anywhere (online tool)
https://sourceforge.net/projects/omegat/files/OmegaT%20-%20Standard/OmegaT%206.0.0/ (unfortunately it seems that good old 5.7.1 is no longer available for download)

Recep Kurt
Alison Jenner
P.L.F. Persio
finnword1

Ana Zeta
Ana Zeta
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 27, 2023

Hello, thank you very much for your responses!
I'm very used to working with CAT tools for technical translations (Across, Memoq, Matecat, Sdl Trados, etc.), but in this case, I was wondering if they are useful for better organizing myself when dealing with such a lengthy document like a book. Currently, I'm working with the side by side feature in MS Word, with "synchronous scrolling" activated. That's why I was asking if there might be a better method.
Thank you for your help... See more
Hello, thank you very much for your responses!
I'm very used to working with CAT tools for technical translations (Across, Memoq, Matecat, Sdl Trados, etc.), but in this case, I was wondering if they are useful for better organizing myself when dealing with such a lengthy document like a book. Currently, I'm working with the side by side feature in MS Word, with "synchronous scrolling" activated. That's why I was asking if there might be a better method.
Thank you for your help
Collapse

Rita Translator
Rita Translator  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Terminology management Sep 28, 2023

For any sort of academic translation, you're going to want to keep your terminology straight. You'll probably be needing to research many of the terms, and you'll want to use them consistently across all the articles/chapters. Most CAT tools will do that for you, so just pick your favorite one.

Evgeny Sidorenko
Evgeny Sidorenko
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:02
English to Russian
+ ...
SmartCAT Sep 28, 2023

I used it to translate 3 books this year. It's free and as indicated by the colleagues above, all cats are grey that is all CAT tools basically offer the same kind of support, and the preferences are often based more on personal likes and dislikes, customer's choice, etc. than on actual advantages of one over another.

David Kane
David Kane  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:02
Member (2022)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Matecat Sep 28, 2023

As others have said, most CAT tools are basically the same thing, so it's a matter of which you are familiar with and find easiest to use. Matecat is good possibility because it automatically accesses a vast number of TMs and glossaries, which may be helpful for your case.

https://site.matecat.com/benefits

Oliver Simões
Oliver Simões  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:02
English to Portuguese
+ ...
AI rules Oct 2, 2023

Much against my will and principles, I never thought I would be making this statement: Artificial intelligence rules.

Lately, I've seen a better output from machine translators than from a good number of human translators. At least in my language pair, which is English - Portuguese.

Time and time again, I see creative human translations that interject words and concepts that are not in the source text, and most translators don't seem to have a sense of linguistic regi
... See more
Much against my will and principles, I never thought I would be making this statement: Artificial intelligence rules.

Lately, I've seen a better output from machine translators than from a good number of human translators. At least in my language pair, which is English - Portuguese.

Time and time again, I see creative human translations that interject words and concepts that are not in the source text, and most translators don't seem to have a sense of linguistic register. The result is nothing but catastrophic, and most likely it would not pass a qualifying exam, such as ATA and Abrates.

[Edited at 2023-10-02 13:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-10-02 13:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-10-02 13:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-10-02 13:12 GMT]
Collapse

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:02
English to French
+ ...
yet another option Oct 2, 2023

Ana Zeta wrote:
Currently, I'm working with the side by side feature in MS Word, with "synchronous scrolling" activated. That's why I was asking if there might be a better method.
Thank you for your help

You could try Wordfast Classic. There is a Demo mode, you can download it here https://www.wordfast.net/?go=classic

I mention it because you're working directly in MS Word and Wordfast Classic is an add-on to MS Word. It has all the standard CAT features (TM, gloss, QA, MT etc.).

For a Book as it's been said by the colleagues, the TM won't be a lot of help as there's not a lot of repeated segments. All that can help you with typing (glossary, spell-checking etc.) will help. I would advise against the use of MT for such tasks as it would make you deviate from your own writing skills in terms of style and choice of words.

Enjoy this job, translating a book is many translators' dream

neilmac
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
WF Classic for me Oct 2, 2023

[quote]Philippe Locquet wrote:

You could try Wordfast Classic. There is a Demo mode, you can download it here https://www.wordfast.net/?go=classic

-> I rarely translate books or similar texts, but on the odd occasion I have found WF Classic helpful to ensure consistency.

Philippe Locquet

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:02
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Vital CAT feature Oct 3, 2023

Yes, use a CAT tool for all the reasons mentioned above, but also for the feature that has always struck me as the crowning glory of CAT tools: concordance searching for words or phrases in the source or target segments of the active and reference TMs.

[Edited at 2023-10-03 14:48 GMT]

Rita Translator
Philippe Locquet

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cat tool for book translation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »