Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:46
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Degree or no degree Dec 13, 2022

Who would be interested in translation as a profession without language and writing skills? I'd say these are a prerequisite...

expressisverbis
Michele Fauble
Christopher Schröder
Thomas T. Frost

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 19:46
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Misunderstanding Dec 14, 2022

Dan Lucas wrote:
I didn't claim that you said that. I was expanding on, your point on the necessity for "profound written skills in your target language". On this matter I think we agree.

There was a misunderstanding indeed. When I talk about 'written skills', I mean the ability to write without mistakes (as opposed to be able to speak a language). To write without mistakes, you need a profound knowledge of grammar and spelling rules (certainly in Dutch, anyway, where we have some really bizarre and complicated spelling and grammar rules), hence you need formal education. Perhaps I should have used another term, but I actually don't know how to put it in English then. So I wasn't talking about writing talent, which is of course a completely different concept for which you don't need a degree indeed.

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Well... Dec 14, 2022

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:

To build a thriving freelance translation business, you need to spend heaps of time on setting it up efficiently, which includes computer(s) and peripherals, accounting and taxes, communication channels, data backups and protection, data storage, business development and client relationship, project management, translation tools, you name it. From the business perspective, your business skills and related expertise are at least as critical as your linguistic aptitude for a successful freelance career.

Basically you are right, but you make it sound like a massive job, while there's nothting easier and less time-consuming than setting up and maintaining a freelance translation business. You need a minimum of money compared to other professions and buying and installing software isn't complicated or time-consuming at all, nor is data backup. The most complicated part is probably accounting and taxes, but I gladly pay an accountant to do that dirty work for me. Apart from a computer, an internet connection and software it's probably the best investment you can make as a freelancer, and it's also very good for your mental health.

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
@Lieven -- Again, clarification is called for Dec 14, 2022

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:

To build a thriving freelance translation business, you need to spend heaps of time on setting it up efficiently, which includes computer(s) and peripherals, accounting and taxes, communication channels, data backups and protection, data storage, business development and client relationship, project management, translation tools, you name it.

Basically you are right, but you make it sound like a massive job, while there's nothting easier and less time-consuming than setting up and maintaining a freelance translation business. You need a minimum of money compared to other professions and buying and installing software isn't complicated or time-consuming at all, nor is data backup. The most complicated part is probably accounting and taxes, but I gladly pay an accountant to do that dirty work for me. Apart from a computer, an internet connection and software it's probably the best investment you can make as a freelancer, and it's also very good for your mental health.

If you're like me, you spend a lot of time exploring new opportunities and possibilities. I am and have always been on the lookout for the latest developments in the relevant fields: computers and peripherals, tablets and smartphones, accounting software (I've been using a cloud-based solution for the last 5 years), translation management systems (TMS), CAT tools, optical character recognition, voice-to-speech software, virtual PBX (VoIP), virtual assistants, communication platforms (WhatsApp, Viber, Telegram), social media, email marketing, SEO, ...

Let's take CAT tools and TMSs. I've been a loyal Trados user since 2003, starting with Trados 6.5 (I own and use Trados Studio 2021 Professional now), but I also have firsthand experience with other major CATs, such as Across, DejaVu, Lilt, MateCat, Memsource, Smartcat, Wordfast, and XTM. As for TMSs, I currently use LSP.expert, but I also have firsthand experience (at the admin/PM level) with Memsource, Smartcat, Trados Business Manager (former Baccs), Trados GroupShare, Translation Office 3000, TranslationProjex, TOM (Translator's Office Manager), Projetex, Plunet, QuaHill, XTRF.

The same "try-and-select" approach applies to all areas mentioned above. And it's time-consuming, at least in my case. However, it helps me stay ahead of competition and charge higher rates, you know.

Vladimir Pochinov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
A good quote that I'm fully on board with Dec 16, 2022

“Formal education will make you a living; self-education will make you a fortune.” © Jim Rohn

Diego Lopez
IrinaN
expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I don't know if my advice is worth following, but... Dec 25, 2022

If I were you, I would not translate into languages other than your native language.
I have to be honest, answering questions into other language pairs and claiming that you are able to translate into those languages is very bold for someone who is only 17 years old.
There are members here, much older than you, with a lot of experience and who have lived many years in other countries in whose profiles they only claim to translate into their native language.
Because of that, th
... See more
If I were you, I would not translate into languages other than your native language.
I have to be honest, answering questions into other language pairs and claiming that you are able to translate into those languages is very bold for someone who is only 17 years old.
There are members here, much older than you, with a lot of experience and who have lived many years in other countries in whose profiles they only claim to translate into their native language.
Because of that, they have all my respect, admiration and my trust.
Besides, you might suffer consequences because of that, for example, on Kudoz questions you may get "disagrees" from natives who obviously know their languages inside and out. This can stain your image on the site.
If I were you, I wouldn't be too greedy. ("Não ir com muita sede ao pote" - I don't know if you have this saying in your native language).
You can take risks if you start this way.
First, I would dedicate myself to studying a language (higher education, living/working abroad, gaining more experience) instead of starting this way. Believe me, you aren't on the right track.
I also read your translation sample in Portuguese, and although I am not a native Brazilian Portuguese speaker, I could see some errors.
Please don't take me wrong for my words, I'm just telling you that you shouldn't start this way.
Being humble and know how to set our own limits it's also part of being a successful translator.
In the meantime, I wish you and everyone here Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Kevin Fulton
Vladimir Pochinov
Baran Keki
Lucas Pocis
Lieven Malaise

Lucas Pocis
Lucas Pocis
Brazil
Local time: 14:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I get your point Dec 25, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:

Because of that, they have all my respect, admiration and my trust.
Besides, you might suffer consequences because of that, for example, on Kudoz questions you may get "disagrees" from natives who obviously know their languages inside and out. This can stain your image on the site.
If I were you, I wouldn't be too greedy. ("Não ir com muita sede ao pote" - I don't know if you have this saying in your native language).
You can take risks if you start this way.
First, I would dedicate myself to studying a language (higher education, living/working abroad, gaining more experience) instead of starting this way. Believe me, you aren't on the right track.
I also read your translation sample in Portuguese, and although I am not a native Brazilian Portuguese speaker, I could see some errors.
Please don't take me wrong for my words, I'm just telling you that you shouldn't start this way.
Being humble and know how to set our own limits it's also part of being a successful translator.
In the meantime, I wish you and everyone here Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

I partially agree with you, it doesn't seem that high education will guarantee my spot here, as it seems that this area is guided by experience and certificates. About my english level, i've been speaking this language since i was a kid, the problem remains that i don't have proven experience besides as a language teacher, and i do agree that i don't have what it takes to translate something complex to french, but i would only apply to translate letters, general, or texts regarding tech/computers.
And about the mistake on my sample to portuguese, could you please point it out ? I swear that i don't see anything wrong.
I'm thankful for your feedback, i'm not trying to start as a full time translator yet, my focus is to have some experience first to see if i can get into an agency, receive proper training to be sure that this is what i want to do throughout my life before spending years to be an expert.

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'm not a PT-BR native Dec 25, 2022

Lucas Pereira wrote:

And about the mistake on my sample to portuguese, could you please point it out ? I swear that i don't see anything wrong.

I should stress again that I'm not a Brazilian Portuguese native, and I don't proofread or revise into PT-BR, but I have found your translation sample a bit too literal. For example:

"Buracos negros são astros muito elusivos, e algumas vezes eles gostam de brincar de esconde esconde conosco. Raios de luz não podem escapar de seu horizonte de eventos, mas o espaço ao redor deles pode ser extremamente brilhante — se materiais o suficiente entrarem na sua órbita."

This last part should be improved in my opinion.

"Em seu estudo publicado no jornal de Astrophysical Journal Lettres, os astrônomos sugeriram um novo método para verificar a existência do buraco negro."

Also, "The Astrophysical Journal Letters" is not a "jornal", it's a "publicação/revista científica".

[Edited at 2022-12-25 18:24 GMT]

Lucas Pocis

Vladimir Pochinov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Focusing on one or several areas of specialization is the way to go. Dec 25, 2022

Lucas Pereira wrote:

... I do agree that i don't have what it takes to translate something complex to french, but i would only apply to translate letters, general, or texts regarding tech/computers.

Lucas, a friendly warning from a tech-savvy translator with a 35-year track record in the translation industry (and 22 years in the international translation market). I think the market for general texts is on its last leg. Modern neural MT engines can handle this type of material quite well. I wouldn't consider hiring a professional to translate my letter to a friend into French or Portuguese. I would use DeepL, Google Translate, Microsoft Translator, ModernMT, or a similar neural engine.

Focusing on IT/computers might be a good idea, especially software localization, mobile app localization, video game localization, which are all on the rise now. Publishers (and users) wouldn't like awkward phrases or hilarious errors in their UI strings.

Legal, financial, and pharmaceutical seem to be rather future-proof for now. From my 5-year employment with a major international law firm, I wouldn't trust an NMT engine with translation of the contractual documents in an M&A deal worth $100 million of $5 billion. The same is true for high-profile litigations and international arbitration proceedings.

[Edited at 2022-12-25 18:13 GMT]

Lucas Pocis

Lucas Pocis
Lucas Pocis
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Uma dúvida Dec 26, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:

I should stress again that I'm not a Brazilian Portuguese native, and I don't proofread or revise into PT-BR, but I have found your translation sample a bit too literal. For example:

"Buracos negros são astros muito elusivos, e algumas vezes eles gostam de brincar de esconde esconde conosco. Raios de luz não podem escapar de seu horizonte de eventos, mas o espaço ao redor deles pode ser extremamente brilhante — se materiais o suficiente entrarem na sua órbita."

"Em seu estudo publicado no jornal de Astrophysical Journal Lettres, os astrônomos sugeriram um novo método para verificar a existência do buraco negro."

Also, "The Astrophysical Journal Letters" is not a "jornal", it's a "publicação/revista científica".

Obrigado, esse último realmente é um erro, tinha pesquisado olhado sobre e tinha chegado a conclusão de "jornal científico" mas tinha achado meio estranho.
Agora quanto ao outro parágrafo, eu normalmente adaptaria um pouco para soar melhor, porém algumas pessoas disseram para não adaptar, tornar-se fiel ao texto. Particularmente eu acho melhor "Os raios de luz não são capazes de escapar de seu horizonte de eventos" do que "Raios de luz não podem escapar de seu horizonte de eventos". Mas gostaria de alguma resposta sua nisso, você fica 100% fiel ao que está escrito, ou as vezes dá alguma adaptada como nesse caso para soar mais natural?

[Editada em 2022-12-26 04:53 GMT]

Lucas Pocis
Lucas Pocis
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your advice Dec 26, 2022

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:

Lucas, a friendly warning from a tech-savvy translator with a 35-year track record in the translation industry (and 22 years in the international translation market). I think the market for general texts is on its last leg. Modern neural MT engines can handle this type of material quite well. I wouldn't consider hiring a professional to translate my letter to a friend into French or Portuguese. I would use DeepL, Google Translate, Microsoft Translator, ModernMT, or a similar neural engine.

Focusing on IT/computers might be a good idea, especially software localization, mobile app localization, video game localization, which are all on the rise now. Publishers (and users) wouldn't like awkward phrases or hilarious errors in their UI strings.

Legal, financial, and pharmaceutical seem to be rather future-proof for now. From my 5-year employment with a major international law firm, I wouldn't trust an NMT engine with translation of the contractual documents in an M&A deal worth $100 million of $5 billion. The same is true for high-profile litigations and international arbitration proceedings.

[Edited at 2022-12-25 18:13 GMT]

That does seems right, i should specialize into pharmaceutical seeing that currently i don't believe that i have a lot of knowledge in this area, at most the basics. I'm really grateful for your advice.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
To answer your question(s) Dec 26, 2022

Lucas Pereira wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

Obrigado, esse último realmente é um erro, tinha pesquisado olhado sobre e tinha chegado a conclusão de "jornal científico" mas tinha achado meio estranho.
Agora quanto ao outro parágrafo, eu normalmente adaptaria um pouco para soar melhor, porém algumas pessoas disseram para não adaptar, tornar-se fiel ao texto. Particularmente eu acho melhor "Os raios de luz não são capazes de escapar de seu horizonte de eventos" do que "Raios de luz não podem escapar de seu horizonte de eventos". Mas gostaria de alguma resposta sua nisso, você fica 100% fiel ao que está escrito, ou as vezes dá alguma adaptada como nesse caso para soar mais natural?

[Editada em 2022-12-26 04:53 GMT]

I think that out of respect for all the members and also because of the forum rules, I will write in English, so that everyone understands.
Yes, the first paragraph could be improved, but only a PT-BR native could help you better than me.
This last part "se materiais o suficiente entrarem na sua órbita" doesn't work in PT-PT (it's too literal and sounds a bit odd), but probably works in PT-BR.
In terms of terminology, "Astrophysical Journal Lettres" is really a scientific publication and never a "newspaper".
Are you asking me if I stay 100% faithful to what is written, or if sometimes I adapt as in this case to sound more natural?
One of the first things that comes to my mind when I read the word "faithful" is the Italian adage "Traduttore, traditore!" (which means "translator, traitor!").
This is not only a play on words, but also a very precise way of saying that a translation will never be 100% faithful to the source text.
On the other hand, a translation faithful to the meaning depends on how the translator interprets the author's intention, but this doesn't mean that one should never or always translate literally. We need a balance.
For me, clarity, cultural appropriateness, appropriate style/tone and terminology consistency are "my guides" to make a translation sound (more) natural in my native language.

Lucas Pocis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get started as a translator

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »