Thread poster: Simos Tamoglou
Simos Tamoglou
Simos Tamoglou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 21:54
Italian to Greek
Jun 14, 2007

Dear all,

I'm planning to move to linux, so I'm trying right now to discover first of all some linux distributions.
I really liked ubuntu 7.04.
Now the problem is how to install OmegaT. I already downloaded JRE and OmegaT but the problem is how to install it. I know that there is not any .exe file (like Windows).
Any step-by-step help?

Many thanks,
SImos

[Πέρασε επιμέλεια στις 2007-06-14 21:51]

[Πέρασε επ�
... See more
Dear all,

I'm planning to move to linux, so I'm trying right now to discover first of all some linux distributions.
I really liked ubuntu 7.04.
Now the problem is how to install OmegaT. I already downloaded JRE and OmegaT but the problem is how to install it. I know that there is not any .exe file (like Windows).
Any step-by-step help?

Many thanks,
SImos

[Πέρασε επιμέλεια στις 2007-06-14 21:51]

[Πέρασε επιμέλεια στις 2007-06-14 21:53]
Collapse

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:54
English to Polish
Just unpack Jun 14, 2007

You don't install OmegaT, only run it
You need to unpack it in a folder, then enter the folder, open a console (or open a console and in console enter the folder with unpacked program) and type :

./OmegaT

The console will give a few info and the program should open. If it won't open, the console will tell you why.

Note: JAVA must be already installed. Otherwise Omega won't
... See more
You don't install OmegaT, only run it
You need to unpack it in a folder, then enter the folder, open a console (or open a console and in console enter the folder with unpacked program) and type :

./OmegaT

The console will give a few info and the program should open. If it won't open, the console will tell you why.

Note: JAVA must be already installed. Otherwise Omega won't start.

I hope it helps

Anni
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not that simple, unfortunately Jun 15, 2007

I'm on openSUSE 10.2, and just typing in OmegaT does not suffice. I've created a launch script as follows:
Code:

#!/bin/bash
[full path to java executable]/java -server -Xmx256m -Duser.language=be -jar OmegaT.jar

Here, the piece of code
Code:

#!/bin/bash
[full path to java executable]/java -server -Xmx256m -Duser.language=be -jar OmegaT.jar

Here, the piece of code
Code:

-server -Xmx256m

sets default memory allocation for OmegaT (you're less likely to run out of virtual memory, however, I don't know if it's important for Linux - I've borrowed that from Windows)

and
Code:

Duser.language=be

explicitely sets the GUI language: otherwise OmegaT would use the language it gets from your locale or, if that language is not present, English.

Obviously, you can just ingnore those options.

openSUSE automatically detects an executable script by the first line, but in Ubuntu you may need to set the permission by
Code:

chmod +x

Good luck

[Редактировалось 2007-06-15 05:57]

[Редактировалось 2007-06-15 09:35]

[Редактировалось 2007-06-15 09:36]

[Редактировалось 2007-06-15 09:37]

[Редактировалось 2007-06-15 09:37]
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Note about Java Jun 15, 2007

By the way, OmegaT won't run with any open-source Java implementation. You'll need a genuine JRE from Sun (http://java.com). Sun offers JRE as a binary installer and as an RPM. Obviously, for Ubuntu you'll need the binary one. Run it from terminal to install.

Alessandro Cattelan (X)
Alessandro Cattelan (X)
Italy
Local time: 20:54
English to Italian
+ ...
an easier way Jun 15, 2007

Hi,
what has been answered so far is correct, but I think you can run OmegaT in an easier way:
- download the software;
- unpack the .zip file;
- double-click on the newly-created directory;
- right-click on the OmegaT.jar file and choose Open with Sun Java Runtime (or something similar, I'm running Ubuntu in Italian).

All this assumes that you have properly installed the Sun JRE (you can do that using Synaptic, the Debian/Ubuntu package manager
... See more
Hi,
what has been answered so far is correct, but I think you can run OmegaT in an easier way:
- download the software;
- unpack the .zip file;
- double-click on the newly-created directory;
- right-click on the OmegaT.jar file and choose Open with Sun Java Runtime (or something similar, I'm running Ubuntu in Italian).

All this assumes that you have properly installed the Sun JRE (you can do that using Synaptic, the Debian/Ubuntu package manager which can be found in the System --> Administrator menu).

Ale.
Collapse

Simos Tamoglou
Simos Tamoglou  Identity Verified
Greece
Italian to Greek
TOPIC STARTER
Everything now is clear.... Jun 15, 2007

Dear friends,

I've tried and now everything is clear. To tell the truth - because I like to test Linux for my work - now I'm starting to understand how this OS works. I'm in step #0, not even #1....!

Many thanks to everyone for the answers to my question.

Simos

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how can I install OmegaT

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »