Why Fragment matching doesn't show some words which are accessible through F3 in concordance search?
Thread poster: sara rahmaany
sara rahmaany
sara rahmaany
Iran
Local time: 23:20
English
+ ...
Jul 25, 2019

Hello my deer colleagues

Why Fragment matching doesn't show some words which are accessible through F3 in concordance search?

minimum words for a match is set on 1, but still doesn't show some words.

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 21:50
Polish to English
+ ...
Why? Jul 25, 2019

IMO software designer errors.

sara rahmaany
sara rahmaany
Iran
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
can you explain more? Jul 25, 2019

Andrzej Mierzejewski wrote:

IMO software designer errors.

Thank you Mr. Mierzejewski. Can you explain a little more?

sara rahmaany
sara rahmaany
Iran
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No answer? Jul 29, 2019

I am still thinking where the problem can be? There is no one to help me?

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
SDL.COM Jul 29, 2019

Hello Sara.

Not sure about deer colleagues, but this is a translators' forum regarding issues with CATs (Trados), not an official technical support at SDL.COM.

You didn't specify your settings or language pair in particular, yet if it's "Fragment Matching" and "Fuzzy Match Repair", then it has some limitations and requirements too (e.g. 20,000+ TU's and others).

I don't work with Trados, let alone in your language pairs, but other peers may have no similar
... See more
Hello Sara.

Not sure about deer colleagues, but this is a translators' forum regarding issues with CATs (Trados), not an official technical support at SDL.COM.

You didn't specify your settings or language pair in particular, yet if it's "Fragment Matching" and "Fuzzy Match Repair", then it has some limitations and requirements too (e.g. 20,000+ TU's and others).

I don't work with Trados, let alone in your language pairs, but other peers may have no similar issues or just considering you a rival, who knows

So, if you read the manual, checked YouTube and still thinking something is wrong, then why not ask the official support?

Cheers
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Sara Jul 29, 2019

sara rahmaany wrote:
Why does fragment matching not show some words which are accessible through F3 in concordance search?

1. Did you follow the instructions in this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJrtHslUcPY

2. In order for fragment matching to work, Trados has to perform some clever crunching on the translation memory to guess which source words match which target words. If some things don't show up as fragment matches, it may simply be because Trados was unable to guess what the translation of it is. Remember, a concordance search is monolingual but fragment matching is bilingual.

DZiW (X)
sara rahmaany

sara rahmaany
sara rahmaany
Iran
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't really Understand you! Jul 30, 2019

DZiW wrote:

Hello Sara.

I don't work with Trados, let alone in your language pairs, but other peers may have no similar issues or just considering you a rival, who knows

So, if you read the manual, checked YouTube and still thinking something is wrong, then why not ask the official support?

Cheers

I had an issue regarding Trados, so i liked to ask my colleagues here in the related forum.

sara rahmaany
sara rahmaany
Iran
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Murray Jul 30, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

sara rahmaany wrote:
Why does fragment matching not show some words which are accessible through F3 in concordance search?

1. Did you follow the instructions in this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJrtHslUcPY

2. In order for fragment matching to work, Trados has to perform some clever crunching on the translation memory to guess which source words match which target words. If some things don't show up as fragment matches, it may simply be because Trados was unable to guess what the translation of it is. Remember, a concordance search is monolingual but fragment matching is bilingual.

Thanks for your favour. all the settings are correct according to instructions i think, and the number of TUs is enough also. So maybe the problem as you told is due to fragment matching mechanism and TUs should grow more for better results.

[Edited at 2019-07-30 07:48 GMT]

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
splitting the differences Jul 30, 2019

Hello Sara,

The difference is very simple:
1) the ProZ is a platform for translators, where they can share the info;
2) the SDL is a software vendor, where dedicated people should assist and resolve customers' issues.

While the ProZ is quite big, it's very mixed, so just a few colleagues working in the same language pairs and with the same application version have time to read and answer your technical questions, if any.
... See more
Hello Sara,

2) the SDL is a software vendor, where dedicated people should assist and resolve customers' issues.

While the ProZ is quite big, it's very mixed, so just a few colleagues working in the same language pairs and with the same application version have time to read and answer your technical questions, if any.

So, if you have got a problem with a specific piece of software, you'd rather Google it first and check familiar places; and if you still experience issues, then you should address it at the related technical support (SDL).

However, even a big vendor company is often rather slow and reluctant to answer questions promptly. Hopefully, you will make it alright.

Cheers
Collapse

sara rahmaany
sara rahmaany
Iran
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@DZiW Aug 2, 2019

DZiW wrote:

Hello Sara,

So, if you have got a problem with a specific piece of software, you'd rather Google it first and check familiar places; and if you still experience issues, then you should address it at the related technical support (SDL).

However, even a big vendor company is often rather slow and reluctant to answer questions promptly. Hopefully, you will make it alright.

Cheers

Thank you DZiW. It's very good that you are worried about other translator's time and have generosity to spend time and explain these simple things.🌺😉

[Edited at 2019-08-02 11:10 GMT]

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Proz is a resource, as is the SDL platform Aug 4, 2019

I take issue with DZiW. I don't feel that Sara - or anyone else - should be discouraged from seeking advice here. If some members feel they can't spare time to help, while they are free to withhold help, I appeal to them to refrain from discouraging honest enquiries. After all, mutual help is the raison d'être of these fora and of Proz itself. My own argument for advocating this line is that, when I was a newcomer to the profession, I frequently contacted senior colleagues for help. In ... See more
I take issue with DZiW. I don't feel that Sara - or anyone else - should be discouraged from seeking advice here. If some members feel they can't spare time to help, while they are free to withhold help, I appeal to them to refrain from discouraging honest enquiries. After all, mutual help is the raison d'être of these fora and of Proz itself. My own argument for advocating this line is that, when I was a newcomer to the profession, I frequently contacted senior colleagues for help. In spite of their often heavy workload, they were very generous with their time, and so I feel impelled to give as I received - and I exhort my experienced colleagues of today to observe the same standard.Collapse

sara rahmaany

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Just for information Aug 5, 2019

DZiW wrote:

Hello Sara,

I don't agree with this at all. This is a technical forum where ProZ members using SDL Trados software help each other. This is not a forum managed by SDL at all. There are no dedicated people from SDL responding in here.

DZiW wrote:

Googling is an option, but you could also use the free SDL Community forums or purchase a support contract. In both cases I think you'll find the questions are answered promptly and are not slow at all.

Regards

Paul

sara rahmaany

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »