Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Has your translation job ever been affected by a government decision?
Thread poster: José Julián Díaz
Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:07
English to Russian
Taxes, taxes ... Jan 9, 2023

Sorana_M. wrote:

My government is a mess, always has been, and has just increased (I heard doubled or more than doubled) the taxes and fees sole traders/independent contractors are required to pay.

My government, while as corrupt as they come, is more generous.

Sole proprietors/traders in Russia, including various flavors of freelancers), have three tax options to choose from:

1) a simplified taxation scheme (6% on total earnings, or 15% on total earnings minus deductibles);

2) a business license for a particular line of business, e.g. written translations: a fixed license cost (based on 6% on the potential annual income for that line of business in your region, which was ~$8,000 for Kaliningrad Region last year, so you had to pay ~$480 for 2022, plus 1% on any income above ~$4,300, plus $500 for social security and mandatory medical insurance).

There are two restrictions:

(a) you'll need to switch to a simplified taxation scheme if your annual income exceeds ~$850,000; and
(b) you cannot have more than 15 employees.

3) the so-called 'professional tax' (my case):
- 6% on all amounts received from legal entities, and 4% on all amounts received from individuals;
- you don't need to submit returns to the local tax authorities, just record all incoming payments in the "My taxes" mobile app (a web-based option is available as well). The app calculates your taxes and lets you know by the 12th of each month the amount payable for the previous month.

[Edited at 2023-01-09 16:11 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:07
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
. Jan 9, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

PT-BR and PT-PT have very different spellings and not to mention the high number of lexical differences, but that is another story.

PT-BR and PT-PT also sound very different

The way we speak it’s quite different. Brazilians have a more slowed down speech and they enunciate pretty much every letter, while us Portuguese we tend to eat a little bit the vowels. I visited Brazil a few times when my sister was living in São Paulo and quite often I was greeted with a confused stare when asking for something in a shop, café or restaurant…

expressisverbis
Michele Fauble

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Other way around Jan 10, 2023

Ukraine's requirement to use the national language has created tons of translation jobs, as lots of stuff is now done in duplicate for compliance.

In practice, it meant that most materials were to be made available in two languages due to popular demand and market pressures.

Now that might end up changing, but that's a wholly different foreign government's fault...

Please don't make harsh and extreme judgments on things you are unfamiliar with.

Samuel Murray wrote:

Let's not forget the Ukrainian government's systematic derussification of the past decade. I'm sure that that must have caused quite a few losses in employment, e.g. school teachers, university personnel, advertising translators, media translators, etc. when it became illegal (or just very difficult) to study Soviet history and use the Russian language for various functions.

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:07
English to Turkish
Whatever happened to Paul Dixon? Jan 10, 2023

It seems as though the successive governments in Brazil did their damnedest to kill him and his translation business...

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:07
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Adieu Jan 10, 2023

Adieu wrote:
Ukraine's requirement to use the national language has created tons of translation jobs, as lots of stuff is now done in duplicate for compliance.

Yes, that is also true. Whenever a country where traditionally many languages are spoken decides to elevate a single language to the official language, it creates a vast array of opportunities for translators in and out of that language. Eventually, more people may start to use that language for their day-to-day living, which in turn increases the use of that language in e.g. commerce, where the money is. This also happened in South Africa about a century ago.

On the other hand, if a law is passed that all citizens must be proficient in that new language before they are allowed to work in certain sectors, and more people start to speak that language, a situation will eventually occur in which more people think that they are bilingual enough to be professional translators... when they really can't. Again, this also applies to South Africa.

[Edited at 2023-01-10 19:33 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has your translation job ever been affected by a government decision?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »