Does CafeTran work with the new Macs with M1 architecture?
Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:01
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Jun 30, 2021

I mean does it work *natively* without needing Rosetta?

Share your experiences.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
M3? Jul 1, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

"Does CafeTran work with the new M3 Macs?"

I mean does it work *natively* without needing Rosetta?

Share your experiences.

AFAIK, the M3 SoC has yet to be launched. Currently, the M1 is being used.

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:01
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
In the works Jul 1, 2021

CafeTran version for the new Apple silicon (M1) chip architecture will be released this summer (July/August). The initial tests show it running faster than on Intel chips. Stay tuned for the update.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 1, 2021

Igor Kmitowski wrote:

CafeTran version for the new Apple silicon (M1) chip architecture will be released this summer (July/August). The initial tests show it running faster than on Intel chips. Stay tuned for the update.

Thanks Igor - but will it still also run on older Macs?

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Great news Igor Jul 1, 2021

Igor Kmitowski wrote:

Thanks for the update, Igor. Somewhere else I posted a message on this topic, that is, if Cafetran (and WFP6) run on a Macbook Air M1 before going to buy one as I need something less heavy than a 2011 Macbook Pro for travelling.

Tom in London

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Two seperate installations. Jul 1, 2021

There will be a separate CafeTran installation available for the new Apple processor. The release for older Macs with Intel chips will keep running just fine.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 1, 2021

Igor Kmitowski wrote:

There will be a separate CafeTran installation available for the new Apple processor. The release for older Macs with Intel chips will keep running just fine.

Thanks. I'll watch out for the new version.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Support for new Macs with M1 architecture Aug 21, 2021

See: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/6000064377

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Java Aug 21, 2021

I can only run Java 8 update 301 on this Mac, which is getting a bit old but runs perfectly.

So I can't run CTE 10.9 but I'm very happy with the version I'm using now (10.8 Cornetto). Compared to previous versions, as far as I can make out the user will not be aware of any perceptible change in how CTE works.

[Edited at 2021-08-21 07:58 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Java Aug 21, 2021

Tom, could you please check the Java version used by CafeTran in the Help menu > About?

Since several updates ago, CafeTran includes its own version of Java server, making the system-wide installed Java irrelevant.

There has also been a Java runtime update for those who missed that shift, without the need to install a fres
... See more
Tom, could you please check the Java version used by CafeTran in the Help menu > About?

Since several updates ago, CafeTran includes its own version of Java server, making the system-wide installed Java irrelevant.

There has also been a Java runtime update for those who missed that shift, without the need to install a fresh copy: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/6000063257 (this is for MacOS, similar updates are available for Windows and GNU/Linux)
A backup would be advised, of course.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Java version Aug 21, 2021

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Screen Shot

However: I'm running MacOS 10.11.6 and everything is going well, so I'm not planning to upgrade at present, nor am I planning to buy a new computer. My system, as it is, is running as smoothly as silk and I have a lot of translation work to do that can't be interrupted.

[Edited at 2021-08-21 10:02 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
  Aug 21, 2021

That Java version means CafeTran uses its own Java runtime server and does not depend on the Java version installed on your Mac.

If and when you wish so, you may update to the latest version released yesterday, which also supports Macs with M1 chipsets.

I guess this concludes this forum topic.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
M1 support May 15, 2022

Microsoft hasn’t made an official statement about whether they will allow running Windows running on M1. VMware reached out to them but is still waiting for an answer:

https://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2021/04/fusion-on-apple-silicon-progress-update.html

So CafeTran is a good alternative, since it supports M1.
... See more
Microsoft hasn’t made an official statement about whether they will allow running Windows running on M1. VMware reached out to them but is still waiting for an answer:

https://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2021/04/fusion-on-apple-silicon-progress-update.html

So CafeTran is a good alternative, since it supports M1.

BTW: If I’d be using Windows as my primary operating system, I’d personally never shell out thousands of dollars for a new Mac until Microsoft has made an official statement.

See also:

https://www.proz.com/forum/cafetran_support/351793-cafetran_espresso_1083_versus_memoq_986.html

https://www.proz.com/forum/cafetran_support/325037-status_quo_can_cafetran_espresso_be_a_full_replacement_for_sdl_studio.html

[Edited at 2022-05-15 03:32 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does CafeTran work with the new Macs with M1 architecture?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »