New feature: Have your translations read out loud
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Dec 9, 2021

(The sound quality isn't very good, because of the use of my iPhone as a recorder, instead of directly recording the sound from the MacBook Pro ...)

https://youtu.be/OwHrKOR-66Q

With Amazon Polly in CafeTran Espresso you can:

• Have your source text read while you check your translation on screen.
  • Have your source text read while you check your transla... See more
(The sound quality isn't very good, because of the use of my iPhone as a recorder, instead of directly recording the sound from the MacBook Pro ...)

https://youtu.be/OwHrKOR-66Q

With Amazon Polly in CafeTran Espresso you can:

• Have your source text read while you check your translation on screen.
  • Have your source text read while you check your translation on paper.
  • Have your target text read while you check your translation on screen.
  • Have your target text read while you check your translation on paper.
  • Etc.

The neural voices are rather good, though they are only available for a few languages:

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/polly/latest/dg/voicelist.html
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Certain types of errors Dec 10, 2021

I think that this technique can be especially useful to catch certain types of errors, e.g. English 'had' instead of 'hat'. You'll hear the typo immediately.

On a side note: When you're already using Amazon Translate, you can use the same credentials for Amazon Polly. However, make sure that in your Amazon account you've granted rights for use of Polly too!

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:50
Serbian to English
+ ...
Sounds interesting Dec 10, 2021

German Dutch Engineering Translation wrote:

I think that this technique can be especially useful to catch certain types of errors, e.g. English 'had' instead of 'hat'. You'll hear the typo immediately.

On a side note: When you're already using Amazon Translate, you can use the same credentials for Amazon Polly. However, make sure that in your Amazon account you've granted rights for use of Polly too!

It must be working nicely for you, but I'm not sure that I would want to even try it.

If it was possible to get a machine to read a text with all the right changes in rythme and intonation, 99% of news readers would have been already thrown on the scrapheap of history, to join people who used to be experts in operating telex machines, doing technical drawings with Rotring pens or inputting data on Hollerith cards.

Anyway, in a way that's what I'm already doing. When I reread a text to check it, I "hear it" in my head, but with all the right variations in rhythm, intonation, emphasis etc. - not some monotonous droning voice.

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:50
Dutch to English
+ ...
Read aloud Dec 10, 2021

I use the read-aloud function in Word quite a bit - the voices are a lot better than they used to be and you do notice when there is something not quite right about a sentence. Sometimes you pick up on things that you miss when reading the normal way, like repeated words at the end of lines, for example.

Jean Dimitriadis
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:50
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Neural Engine Dec 11, 2021

Daryo wrote:
Anyway, in a way that's what I'm already doing. When I reread a text to check it, I "hear it" in my head, but with all the right variations in rhythm, intonation, emphasis etc. - not some monotonous droning voice.

If the neural engine is available for your language too, try it, for it makes a difference. It's almost like if a real person were reading in front of you. For Italian, for instance, there is only one voice available; it's a female, and it reads very clearly and with a surprisingly real intonation. Almost sexy.

[Edited at 2021-12-11 06:37 GMT]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:50
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
The sounds could be disturbing Dec 11, 2021

Other than being helpful, the sounds could be disturbing and distracting while I'm checking my translation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New feature: Have your translations read out loud

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »