Quickly select up to a given character (repeatable) (Mac only)
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Feb 20, 2022

Many years ago I used a feature in an editor that allowed me to quickly expand a selection from the beginning of a paragraph to a given character. I can't remember whether it was MS Word for DOS or another retro editor or word processor . (If I remember correctly, the feature was triggered by the forward slash.)

Since CafeTran Espresso doesn't offer a quick selection feature (yet), I decided to create a macro that all
... See more
Many years ago I used a feature in an editor that allowed me to quickly expand a selection from the beginning of a paragraph to a given character. I can't remember whether it was MS Word for DOS or another retro editor or word processor . (If I remember correctly, the feature was triggered by the forward slash.)

Since CafeTran Espresso doesn't offer a quick selection feature (yet), I decided to create a macro that allows me to quickly select the beginning of a target segment up to a given character. Once the selection exists, I can make all kinds of modifications (deletion, change to lowercase, cut etc.).

2gif

Download at:

https://forum.keyboardmaestro.com/t/quickly-select-up-to-a-given-character-repeatable/26628
Collapse

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 21:53
Polish to English
+ ...
The example looks impressive... Feb 21, 2022

...(wow, it works!), but what is your objective? Is the character "r" a base for your translations? Could you please explain the meaning and significance of this macro?

AM

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Changes Feb 21, 2022

Andrzej Mierzejewski wrote:

...(wow, it works!), but what is your objective? Is the character "r" a base for your translations? Could you please explain the meaning and significance of this macro?

AM

Once the selection exists, I can make all kinds of modifications (deletion, change to lowercase, cut etc.).

Normally, you have to use the navigation keyboard shortcuts or the mouse to go to a certain letter or punctuation character, e.g. to '\' in:

This Directive does not apply to the lifting of persons by means of machines not designed for the lifting of persons. However, this does not affect the right of Member States to take national measures, in accordance with the Treaty, with respect to such machines, with a view to implementing Council Directive 89\655/EEC of 30 November 1989 concerning the minimum safety and health requirements for the use of work equipment by workers at work (second individual Directive within the meaning of Article 16(1) of Directive 89/391/EEC) (7).

From the beginning of the segment, you'll either have to press Option+right a lot of times to get to the '/', or you'll have to take your hand from the keyboard, grab your mouse and click on the backward slash.

Or you call the macro, type the backward slash and hit Enter to get there.

[Edited at 2022-02-21 14:44 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Updated macro Feb 21, 2022

The new version bypasses the prompt. You can now type CMD+/,x to directly select up to the first x (or any other letter). Press CMD+/ again to expand the selection further.

2gif

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Tag Handling Feb 22, 2022

Another new version: tag handling for CafeTran Espresso has been implemented now (only native tags, for the time being):

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quickly select up to a given character (repeatable) (Mac only)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »