ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:42
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Apr 1, 2022

Hello,

I use CafeTran on three computers (with two licences) and would now like to ensure that the same database is always used on all three computers. How can I do this? Is it possible to place the CafeTran app on Dropbox? Or do I always have to copy the database (SQLiteMemoryBase.db)?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Irene

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Databases in your Dropbox Apr 1, 2022

Although I haven't tested the use of databases in my Dropbox, I'd rather not do this for databases (in contrast to glossaries and memories).

I think that you should go for the Bonjour protocol .

Or: Since the SQL database is related to two steps:

1. Retrieving memories/glossaries
  2. Storing memories/glossaries

which, with
... See more
Although I haven't tested the use of databases in my Dropbox, I'd rather not do this for databases (in contrast to glossaries and memories).

I think that you should go for the Bonjour protocol .

Or: Since the SQL database is related to two steps:

1. Retrieving memories/glossaries
  2. Storing memories/glossaries

which, with a one-woman show, almost certainly will not be performed at the same moment on different computers: pause your Dropbox synching while you store anything to the database.

[Edited at 2022-04-01 08:52 GMT]
Collapse

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 1, 2022

Thank you, Hans! I'll check this out ...

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Using one database on several computers Apr 1, 2022

You can point the TR Database connection (in Preferences > General) to any file location (the location in Dropbox for the .db file, for instance).

However, check the size of the .db file. If it is more than 100 MB, this means the large file would need to be fully synchronized each time there is a change. Depending on the size and the internet connection, it might require waiting for the sync to finish…

And if the size of the .db is less than 100 MB, then the question
... See more
You can point the TR Database connection (in Preferences > General) to any file location (the location in Dropbox for the .db file, for instance).

However, check the size of the .db file. If it is more than 100 MB, this means the large file would need to be fully synchronized each time there is a change. Depending on the size and the internet connection, it might require waiting for the sync to finish…

And if the size of the .db is less than 100 MB, then the question arises: Why use Total Recall and not just a (Big Mama) TMX?

If Dropbox does not allow syncing specific files/folders located anywhere on the computer (pointing to that TMX), I think there are additional (third party) solutions for that.

https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000163324-cloud-services
Collapse

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Jean Apr 1, 2022

I'll check this out as well!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using one database on several computers

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »