Is Google Verbatim getting more unreliable?
Thread poster: Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 2, 2023

I just searched "Fare riferimento all'RCP per informazioni" with the Verbatim option on, just to see how many documnents it would return. Google returned "did not match any documents" (!?)
Then I searched "RCP per informazioni", and the second result shows "Fare riferimento all'RCP per informazioni"

Is it me, or the start of a new era of fuzziness?

I am afraid that AI is putting its grain of salt in Google searches too...

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:04
French to English
. Jun 4, 2023

I had never heard of Verbatim so I went to look it up. You can simply put speech marks round the word or words you are searching for and it does the same thing. I am pretty satisfied with the results with that. Bonus is that you can also put other words in there in a spirit of "nice to have but not compulsory".
For example if I type
John Lennon "Imagine" song
Google will give me all sorts of links which all contain the word "Imagine" and mostly contain "John Lennon" and/or "
... See more
I had never heard of Verbatim so I went to look it up. You can simply put speech marks round the word or words you are searching for and it does the same thing. I am pretty satisfied with the results with that. Bonus is that you can also put other words in there in a spirit of "nice to have but not compulsory".
For example if I type
John Lennon "Imagine" song
Google will give me all sorts of links which all contain the word "Imagine" and mostly contain "John Lennon" and/or "song", meaning I'm about 100% sure of finding a link to be able to listen to the song in question.
Collapse

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ok, but I also used the inverted commas in both searches... Could it be because of the apostrophe? Jun 4, 2023

Hi Kay! Yes, putting a string or a word in quotes normally restrict the results to pages including that word, as opposed to including also pages that only contain other strings or words in your query and other variations. But I also used Verbatim because I wanted to see how many pages it could find with my exact wording compared to a different wording (for instance in my example could be those having della RCP in place of dell'RCP. However, in this case, you can see that I used the... See more
Hi Kay! Yes, putting a string or a word in quotes normally restrict the results to pages including that word, as opposed to including also pages that only contain other strings or words in your query and other variations. But I also used Verbatim because I wanted to see how many pages it could find with my exact wording compared to a different wording (for instance in my example could be those having della RCP in place of dell'RCP. However, in this case, you can see that I used the quotes in both my searches. I find it irregular that the Verbatim search declares that the string is nowhere to be found on the Web, but then it brings it up in the results when I search for a substring of the same string.

On second thought my results might just be due to Google's peculiar (and slightly mysterious) handling of the apostrophe.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Google Verbatim getting more unreliable?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »