Netherlands
Local time: 22:05
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Dec 23, 2023

Hello everyone

I use a third-party SMTP service, and today they sent me this message:

This email is to let you know that, due to upcoming changes to Gmail's DMARC policy, we recommend that you stop sending emails from your Gmail address(es) through your account with us.
The reason for this change is because Google is changing their DMARC policy from 'none' to 'quarantine' in a few weeks, on February 1, 2024. This will mean that a
... See more
Hello everyone

This email is to let you know that, due to upcoming changes to Gmail's DMARC policy, we recommend that you stop sending emails from your Gmail address(es) through your account with us.
The reason for this change is because Google is changing their DMARC policy from 'none' to 'quarantine' in a few weeks, on February 1, 2024. This will mean that any emails sent from a Gmail email address will likely be treated as spam by recipients, unless they come from Google's own servers.

This means that I should set up my mail clients to use Google's own SMTP service when I send mails where a Gmail address is the FROM address. I might have to upgrade my mail clients' version to accomplish that.

Samuel
Collapse

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 23:05
Greek to English
Stop Dec 24, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:
This means that I should set up my mail clients to use Google's own SMTP service when I send mails where a Gmail address is the FROM address. I might have to upgrade my mail clients' version to accomplish that.

Or you could just stop using that gmail account.

Google keep doing this: implementing new unilateral restrictions and checks in the name of security, which require large numbers of people (thousands? millions?) all around the world to spend time changing their email settings.

Isn't it just easier not to use gmail at all?

Anton Konashenok
Jennifer Levey
Philippe Locquet
neilmac

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:05
English to French
+ ...
DMARC, DKIM and SPF: To and From Dec 26, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

Hello everyone

The reason for this change is because Google is changing their DMARC policy from 'none' to 'quarantine' in a few weeks, on February 1, 2024. This will mean that any emails sent from a Gmail email address will likely be treated as spam by recipients, unless they come from Google's own servers.

Samuel

Hi, yes this has been going on for a while and it seems to be getting worse. I've also had trouble reaching some gmail accounts from non-gmail accounts. They are requiring DMARC and other things (DKIM, SPF etc.) to level up these on standard accounts if very hard, other providers have been rolling this out on business accounts.

So I've had to fall back to a gmail account to exchange e-mails with some people that use gmail, and I had do this in a browser (log in, out etc.). Painful.

I suppose big third-party e-mail clients are working on this and it should improve but in the meantime, this is hit-and-miss. Maybe adding read/receipts to e-mails and working in the gmail ecosystem directly would be better until it improves.

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
You may end-up in the spam folder Dec 26, 2023

Philip Lees wrote:
Or you could just stop using that gmail account.

I dislike gmail too, but that's not an ideal solution either since gmail recipients may not receive your mails if they don't meet gmail crazy standards. So much so that some mails won't even reach the spam folder but directly bounce, a pure headache.

I've ordered my new system already, I'm going for "Homing Pigeon Post", that's the eco-friendly solution.

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Does this affect ALL senders? Dec 26, 2023

As far as I know this will be an issue for senders of more than 5000 messages per day to Gmail inboxes.
https://blog.google/products/gmail/gmail-security-authentication-spam-protection/

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
It may Dec 28, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

As far as I know this will be an issue for senders of more than 5000 messages per day to Gmail inboxes.
https://blog.google/products/gmail/gmail-security-authentication-spam-protection/

From a professional address of mine (custom domain) I did get some problems and I don't send 5k messages a day... so your mileage may vary.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
thanks Dec 28, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

Hello everyone

Samuel

Thanks Samuel- that's good (but worrying) to know because although I have a Gmail address, I never use it except in emergencies (e.g. when my main email service goes down for any reason).

neilmac

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Generally Dec 28, 2023

I am generally happy with Gmail. However, about 5 times I lost medium-size projects due to the email offers dropping into spam for unknown reasons. The senders had corporate addresses, some of them are my regular clients. Was this an error on their end (how they set things) or on my (gmail's) end?

Re. the introductory post, everything is in italic, so I am not sure what's Samuel and what's the quote. Actually, edit: the italics and non-italics change as I shift between collapse and
... See more
I am generally happy with Gmail. However, about 5 times I lost medium-size projects due to the email offers dropping into spam for unknown reasons. The senders had corporate addresses, some of them are my regular clients. Was this an error on their end (how they set things) or on my (gmail's) end?

Re. the introductory post, everything is in italic, so I am not sure what's Samuel and what's the quote. Actually, edit: the italics and non-italics change as I shift between collapse and expand mode, a ProZ bug again?

[Edited at 2023-12-28 12:32 GMT]
Collapse

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
set up the security measures Dec 28, 2023

Philippe Locquet wrote:

Zea_Mays wrote:

From a professional address of mine (custom domain) I did get some problems and I don't send 5k messages a day... so your mileage may vary.

In the blog post above you'll find a link to guidelines on how to make your sender address "legitimate" in Google's eyes.
Most likely, all email providers will eventually move to these security measures.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Zea's referenced blog post not relevant Dec 28, 2023

The blog post that you mention relates to emails being send TO Gmail addresses.
The issue I'm reporting here relates to emails being sent FROM Gmail addresses.

If you use a Gmail address as the FROM address, but you're not using Gmail's own SMTP server to send it, the recipient's mail server might sort the message into the recipient's spam folder, or might even delete the email, depending on the recipient's mail server's policy.

See, normally, if you send an email with a Gmail address as the FROM address, the recipient's mail server would query Google's DMARC service to determine if the email really comes from Gmail or not. If you use a third-party SMTP service, then obviously a DMARC check is always going to fail, because the email does not "come from" Gmail.

The question is: what happens when it fails the DMARC check? Answer: currently, Google's DMARC service is set to flag a failing message as "none", which means that it does not suggest to the recipient's mail service to treat the message as spam. But in future, if the DMARC check fails, Google will flag the message as "quarantine", and the way many mail servers are set up, if a message is flagged "quarantine", it will either add "SPAM" to the subject line or move the message into the user's spam folder. Other mail servers may apply a more aggressive policy, e.g. they may simply delete a message if it is flagged "quarantine".

So, if for example, your main email address is [email protected], and you're using Outlook and you're using smtp.yourdomain.com as your SMTP service, and you happen to also have a Gmail account set up in Outlook, but Outlook is using smtp.yourdomain.com as the SMTP address for all mails sent from your computer, then this is going to become for you a problem in future, because you're not sending your Gmail mails "from" Gmail but rather "from" yourdomain.com.

[Edited at 2023-12-28 13:19 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Philippe Locquet

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Why Dec 28, 2023

Why haven’t I received this notice? How do we change this setting?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Lingua Dec 28, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:
Why haven’t I received this notice?

Few people will have received it. I only received it because I happen to use a commercial third-party SMTP service.

How do we change this setting?

Well, if you're sending emails using an email program, and those emails have a Gmail address as the FROM address, then you must make sure that the SMTP server set up in your email program is Gmail's own SMTP server, and unless I'm mistaken, you have to create a special SMTP password called a "Google App password" as well. It rather depends on what email program you're using. If you're using a very modern email program, the issue might be covered already.

Lingua 5B
Philippe Locquet

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
I don’t Dec 28, 2023

I don’t fall into this category then. Thanks for explaining.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upcoming changes to Gmail's DMARC policy affects marking as spam

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »