Question about "formalism" - a literary and critical school?
Thread poster: hayat1
hayat1
hayat1
Morocco
May 11, 2013

is formalism only a literary and critical school, or it does have an effect in translation field? if so what are these effects, and do they differ from strcturalism? need your help to figure it out..thanks.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2013-07-31 06:33 GMT]

Kirsten Bodart
Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:01
Dutch to English
+ ...
I would say May 13, 2013

just take a few translations of the very same text from the age both forms of theory were popular in and then read the original text and see where the differences lie and what undertones/overtones are missed or added.

Frankly it would surprise me if critical theory did not have any influence on translation, but you never know.

I can for example imagine that something similar to [I/]Pride and Prejudice[/I] written in another language would have been translated much more
... See more
just take a few translations of the very same text from the age both forms of theory were popular in and then read the original text and see where the differences lie and what undertones/overtones are missed or added.

Frankly it would surprise me if critical theory did not have any influence on translation, but you never know.

I can for example imagine that something similar to [I/]Pride and Prejudice[/I] written in another language would have been translated much more blatantly feminist in the 70s than in the 50s and that Eugénie Danglars in {I]The Count of Monte Cristo[/I] would be much more overtly lesbian in translation than originally. It shouldn't happen, but probably it's a fact.
Collapse

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:01
Russian to English
+ ...
I believe formalism is mainly a literary theory concept, and a philosophical concept, of course May 13, 2013

If you wanted to apply it to linguistics it would definitely have a lot of similarities to structuralism, but it has never been a linguistic theory, as far as I know. It differs form structuralism in its approach to certain universal phenomena, becoming political at a later time. To make the story short -- I don't think you can consider it a linguistic theory. Of course it might have had influence on some literary translators, especially those of the Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union -- this ... See more
If you wanted to apply it to linguistics it would definitely have a lot of similarities to structuralism, but it has never been a linguistic theory, as far as I know. It differs form structuralism in its approach to certain universal phenomena, becoming political at a later time. To make the story short -- I don't think you can consider it a linguistic theory. Of course it might have had influence on some literary translators, especially those of the Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union -- this is were Formalism was rooted.

[Edited at 2013-05-13 09:56 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question about "formalism" - a literary and critical school?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »