Joseph Tein  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:18
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 29, 2021

Hi All,

A question came up today that I haven't paid too much attention to in the past. Italian medical reports are written in the present tense ... for example: "Il paziente opta per trattamento conservativo ... " "Si procede a biopsia su la parete dell'utero ..." "La paziente lamenta intense algie pelviche ..." "Si osserva corpo estraneo a livello del rene sinistro ..." and so on.

Is there a rule or convention for translating this present-tense usage into English
... See more
Hi All,

A question came up today that I haven't paid too much attention to in the past. Italian medical reports are written in the present tense ... for example: "Il paziente opta per trattamento conservativo ... " "Si procede a biopsia su la parete dell'utero ..." "La paziente lamenta intense algie pelviche ..." "Si osserva corpo estraneo a livello del rene sinistro ..." and so on.

Is there a rule or convention for translating this present-tense usage into English? That is, do we keep the present tense or do we change it to past tense? I've been translating into past tense most of the time but haven't always been consistent. It does seem to me that when translating imaging reports (CT, MRI etc.) we would keep the present tense (We observe a mass measuring 6x9 mm; the lungs are clear; the heart is of normal size, etc.) but what about patient history and procedures performed?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 10:18
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Whatever is normal in the target language Aug 30, 2021

I really know very little Italian, but the same thing crops up in my source language, Danish.

Here I use the past (or possibly no verb at all), e.g. for a surgical procedure
- Incision, front deltoid split, greater tuberosity easily mobilised and placed in position after removal of haematoma.

The Danish uses present tense, which could imply a regular occurrence, especially in English.
Maybe the surgeon does it regularly, but it is/was a one-off for the pa
... See more
I really know very little Italian, but the same thing crops up in my source language, Danish.

Here I use the past (or possibly no verb at all), e.g. for a surgical procedure
- Incision, front deltoid split, greater tuberosity easily mobilised and placed in position after removal of haematoma.

The Danish uses present tense, which could imply a regular occurrence, especially in English.
Maybe the surgeon does it regularly, but it is/was a one-off for the patient!

In a general examination I would use the past tense in English for observations that change, like pulse, temperature, 'the patient was awake, alert and coherent'. Or leave the verb out altogether, depending on the style of the original. (pulse 74 or pulse was normal, 74, not pulse is 74.)

English uses the narrative present very little in general, and it often implies an action is repeated, so I avoid the present when in fact it refers to a once-only incident in the past.

CT and MRI etc. fix the moment, so the present is natural there, as you use it. 'We observe' - and can go on observing, every time we look at the scan

That is my take on it.
Collapse

Philip Lees
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Joseph Tein
Joseph Tein  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:18
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Christine Anderson: Aug 30, 2021

Very nice, Christine. Helpful. Thank you.

[quote]Christine Andersen wrote:

. . .

That is my take on it.

Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Italian to English
+ ...
Histroic(al) present Aug 31, 2021

You find the HP in quite a number of other contexts in many European languages. In most contexts (see below for exceptions), including the one you mention, just use the past in English.

The question has cropped up on proz forums before:<
... See more
You find the HP in quite a number of other contexts in many European languages. In most contexts (see below for exceptions), including the one you mention, just use the past in English.

The question has cropped up on proz forums before:

https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/70862-use_of_the_historic_present_in_english_is_it_allowed.html
https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/219764-historic_present_in_spanish_for_a_case_study.html
https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/294592-present_tense_in_source_language_for_historical_texts_should_it_be_translated_into_the_past_tense.html

There's also a good-ish Wki article on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_present

I have all this useless knowledge because I'm sometimes called on to use it by specific customers for video narration to "dramatise" historical events in the style of the Discovery Channel or whatever. This use can be quite controversial because it grates on many listeners:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/28/historic-present-tense-past-john-humphrys
https://www.youarecurrent.com/2013/01/15/relieve-the-past-in-the-historical-present/
https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-reviews/7-things-we-learned-from-1916-documentary-narrated-by-liam-neeson-on-rte-one-34440950.html
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Angie Garbarino

JudyC
JudyC  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Like Christine, I usually adapt to the target language Sep 5, 2021

I'd say present tense for imaging (and pathology) reports: here the actions of viewing and commenting/reporting on the image/specimen are simultaneous.

I normally change the Italian historical present into a past in the more strictly narrative reports: operative reports, which are written up after the procedure, and patient history, which sets the scene.

If all these are combined into a case report, then past tense for all. This is another case where Italian often uses
... See more
I'd say present tense for imaging (and pathology) reports: here the actions of viewing and commenting/reporting on the image/specimen are simultaneous.

I normally change the Italian historical present into a past in the more strictly narrative reports: operative reports, which are written up after the procedure, and patient history, which sets the scene.

If all these are combined into a case report, then past tense for all. This is another case where Italian often uses the narrative present.

JudyC
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Present Tense or Past Tense in Italian medical reports

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »