Sergio Guillén
Sergio Guillén  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 3, 2023

Hello everyone!

One of my clients is planning to translate a medical questionnaire (Rhinitis Control Assessment Test). The copyright requirements for this questionnaire ask that they provide the final version of the translated questionnaire along with certification of ISPOR confirming best practices were used in the linguistic and cultural adaptation of the content.

As I understand, the ISPOR guidelines for translation state the following process:

1. <... See more
Hello everyone!

One of my clients is planning to translate a medical questionnaire (Rhinitis Control Assessment Test). The copyright requirements for this questionnaire ask that they provide the final version of the translated questionnaire along with certification of ISPOR confirming best practices were used in the linguistic and cultural adaptation of the content.

As I understand, the ISPOR guidelines for translation state the following process:

1. Preparation — Obtain permission to use instrument and involvement of the original author.

2. Forward Translation — Development of at least two independent forward translations.

3. Reconciliation — Reconciliation of the forward translations into a single forward translation.

4. Back Translation — Back translation of the reconciled translation into the source language.

5. Back Translation Review — Review of the back translations against the source language.

6. Harmonization — Harmonization of all new translations with each other and the source version.

7. Cognitive Debriefing — Cognitive debriefing of the new translation, with 5-8 healthcare professionals.

8. Review of Cognitive Debriefing Results and Finalization — Cognitive debriefing results are reviewed and the translation finalized.

9. Proofreading — The finalized translation is proofread.

10. Final Report — Report is written on the development of the translation.

I have never faced this kind of request before, so I was wondering if any of you is familiar with it and what's needed to provide this translation of a medical questionnaire following ISPOR guidelines with a certificate.

Any help will be highly appreciated!

[Edited at 2023-03-03 10:04 GMT]
Collapse

Sammy Dowidar
Sammy Dowidar
France
Local time: 10:52
Member (2022)
English to French
My experience: translation agency managed the whole process Mar 3, 2023

Hi Sergio:

I worked many times in this context (translated from english to french medical texts having obviously French authors' names, with some recurrent french-to-english translation approximations), not that the translation agency was transparent about that ('normal' translation orders).

The agency took care of the whole process, as it needed the intervention of several independent persons. I presume it garanteed itself the ISPOR certification.

Hope th
... See more
Hi Sergio:

I worked many times in this context (translated from english to french medical texts having obviously French authors' names, with some recurrent french-to-english translation approximations), not that the translation agency was transparent about that ('normal' translation orders).

The agency took care of the whole process, as it needed the intervention of several independent persons. I presume it garanteed itself the ISPOR certification.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Sammy
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Sergio Guillén
Sergio Guillén  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 7, 2023

Thank you, Sammy!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ISPOR Translation Certification

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »