Print function closes Microsoft Word
Thread poster: IanW (X)
IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Local time: 21:04
German to English
+ ...
Aug 1, 2003

In recent weeks, whenever I try to print Word files, Microsoft Word closes the document and all others without printing, and then leaves temp files in its wake.

I have Microsoft Word 2000, XP operating system, a Lexmark Z65 printer and work a lot with Trados. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Have you tried assigning more memory to Word? Aug 1, 2003

Ian Winick wrote:

In recent weeks, whenever I try to print Word files, Microsoft Word closes the document and all others without printing, and then leaves temp files in its wake.

I have Microsoft Word 2000, XP operating system, a Lexmark Z65 printer and work a lot with Trados. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Just an idea - bearing in mind that I use a Mac and have Microsoft Word 98 - something like that happened to me a few months ago and I fixed it by assigning more memory to Word. But maybe it's some other problem in your case. I also increased the overall RAM memory in my computer and have had no more trouble with printing Word files since then - fingers crossed:-)

Good luck!

Sheila

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Just another idea Aug 2, 2003

A lot of problems with Word are caused by a corrupted Normal.dot template.
What you could do is to locate your "Normal.dot" (it is located in a folder "c:\documents and settings\username\application data\microsoft\templates or similar - I´m using german Win 2k...) and simply rename it to Normal.old. Try then. If it works, then your Normal.dot (old one, because Word will create a new one - empty - as soon as it is started) is corrupted. If you have auto textes and other options in your old
... See more
A lot of problems with Word are caused by a corrupted Normal.dot template.
What you could do is to locate your "Normal.dot" (it is located in a folder "c:\documents and settings\username\application data\microsoft\templates or similar - I´m using german Win 2k...) and simply rename it to Normal.old. Try then. If it works, then your Normal.dot (old one, because Word will create a new one - empty - as soon as it is started) is corrupted. If you have auto textes and other options in your old Normal.dot, you can import them (allmost all settings) to your new Normal.dot. Choose Tools - templates and add ins - organise (or something similar, once again I´m using German) and then close the "Normal.dot" in the right window, click open, select "all files" and open "Normal.old". Then you can copy your formating settings and other options.

BTW, the german paths are:
c:\dokumente und einstellungen\username\anwendungsdaten\microsoft\vorlagen
Extras - Vorlagen und add ins - Organisieren

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Doru Voin
Doru Voin  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 22:04
English to Romanian
+ ...
Looks like you have a printer driver problem... Aug 2, 2003

Ofcourse, unless you were able to use the printer before with MS Word. In this case, maybe your Office installation has gone nuts.
Anyway, may I suggest you re-install your printer? This might help...hopefully.

Regards from Bucharest,
Doru Voin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Print function closes Microsoft Word

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »