Thread poster: Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:42
Catalan to English
+ ...
Aug 10, 2003

I wonder if any Excel experts out there on this hot and sticky Sunday who can help me. I am translating text (from Spanish into English) in Excel tables full of figures. In theory, I have to change all the commas and full stops too - i.e. 6,93% to 6.93% etc. However, I just can't seem to do it - Excel won't let me:-( Does anyone know how this can be done without beginning the whole table again from start?

Many thanks for any ideas:-)

Sheila

Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Change the Cell Format Aug 10, 2003

Select the portion you want to change into a given format (such as date, percentage). The path must be something like Format > Cells > Number: there you select the format (there is an option of individual formatting, at the end of the list).

If you see formats with an asterisk (*) on the left-hand side of the denomination, it means that the format will automatically change, subject to the OS of the computer on which the file is opened. At any rate, I'd change the format, if I were
... See more
Select the portion you want to change into a given format (such as date, percentage). The path must be something like Format > Cells > Number: there you select the format (there is an option of individual formatting, at the end of the list).

If you see formats with an asterisk (*) on the left-hand side of the denomination, it means that the format will automatically change, subject to the OS of the computer on which the file is opened. At any rate, I'd change the format, if I were you.

[Edited at 2003-08-10 17:39]
Collapse

Sheila Hardie
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Eva! Aug 10, 2003

Eva Blanar wrote:

If you see formats with an asterisk (*) on the left-hand side of the denomination, it means that the format will automatically change, subject to the OS of the computer on which the file is opened. At any rate, I'd change the format, if I were you.

[Edited at 2003-08-10 17:39]

Thanks, Eva. I tried to do as you suggested, but it just doesn't appear to work. I have a Spanish version of Excel (Microsoft 98 for Mac) and it doesn't seem to give me the option of changing these parameters. I did go to an option (FORMATO -> CELDAS -> PERSONALIZADA) where you can choose individual formats ('personalizada' in Spanish) but couldn't find any to change the decimals commas and full stops. Maybe it's simply not possible with my version of Excel:-(

Thank you anyway for your help:-)

Sheila

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Windows setting Aug 10, 2003

The separator is set in Start/Settings/Control panel/Regional settings (or something like that, I have Polish version of Windows). Maybe that will solve your problem.

agtranslat
agtranslat
Netherlands
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
You may have to change the decimal symbol in the country settings Aug 10, 2003

[Edited at 2003-08-10 19:43]

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
find and replace all Aug 10, 2003

If Eva's suggestion does not work for some reason, you can always Find and Replace all occurrences of commas, etc. Select the range of cells where you want to convert commas into full stops, or change the thousand separators, etc.
Select Find / Replace from the View menu, and there you go...

Sheila Hardie
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any idea where to find the country settings? Aug 10, 2003

agtranslat wrote:

[Edited at 2003-08-10 19:43]

Thanks for all the ideas. I have just about given up - I've got hundreds of tables and thousands of figures and am slowly going mad here. I'm afraid can't find where the country settings are((

I think I'll contact the client tomorrow and see what they advise.

Thanks again for all your help:-)

sheila

agtranslat
agtranslat
Netherlands
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
getting to your country settings Aug 10, 2003

Simply replacing the commas wil not work, because Excel will not recognize the periods as decimal separators.
To access you contry settings:
*click once on Start or press the Windows key
*the initial menu appears. Select Settings
*a new window should appear with a list of the things you can set (mouse, modem, etc.). It is here that you will find the country settings. (or Regional settings). Open it
*A box "Regional settings configuration" appears. Click on the tab n
... See more
Simply replacing the commas wil not work, because Excel will not recognize the periods as decimal separators.
To access you contry settings:
*click once on Start or press the Windows key
*the initial menu appears. Select Settings
*a new window should appear with a list of the things you can set (mouse, modem, etc.). It is here that you will find the country settings. (or Regional settings). Open it
*A box "Regional settings configuration" appears. Click on the tab number
*In the fold down menu for decimal separator select period. Click OK.

Go back to your Excel sheet. It could be that it now appears scrambled to the eye. Never mind. Just apply Replace all for the whole sheet. The original should reappear, but with the new decimal separator.

Caveat: If the sheet contains figures in the Spanish notation (1.234,56) get rid or the period before doing all of the above.

Mail me if you need more help.

[Edited at 2003-08-10 19:43][/quote]

Thanks for all the ideas. I have just about given up - I've got hundreds of tables and thousands of figures and am slowly going mad here. I'm afraid can't find where the country settings are((

I think I'll contact the client tomorrow and see what they advise.

Thanks again for all your help:-)

sheila[/quote]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel problem - localising commas and full stops

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »