Textboxes in Word
Thread poster: xeon
xeon
xeon
English
Oct 8, 2003

Hi,

anyone knows a way to separate all textboxes in a Word document at once?

Thanks

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:11
Polish to English
+ ...
?? Oct 8, 2003

What, pray, do you mean by "separate"?

Pawel Skalinski

Stephen Boyd
Stephen Boyd
Ireland
French to English
+ ...
Macro to ungroup any grouped shapes Oct 8, 2003

If your question is in relation to the earlier thread about word counts, this VBA code may help. In theory you can have groups of groups so you may have to run this more than once to ungroup all groups!
Better not to do this on the original file as the client might not appreciate it.
Regards,
Stephen

For Each aShape In activedocument.Shapes
If aShape.Type = msoGroup Then aShape.Ungroup
Next aShape

xeon
xeon
English
TOPIC STARTER
textboxes Oct 8, 2003

Textboxes can be grouped toghether and before Trados can analyze/translate them they need to be ungrouped.

Problem is that sometimes it\\\'s hard to tell if a portion of text is made by a single flow of text or by one or more textboxes.

Sometimes even a single sentence of 10 words can be composed of 10 different textboxes

It\\\'d be great to have a way to ungroup all textboxes in a document.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:11
Polish to English
+ ...
Group/ ungroup Oct 9, 2003

(disclaimer: I work with the Polish version of Word 2K, so the names some commands may differ slightly...)

If you have a bunch of textboxes grouped together and want to ungroup them, here's what you do:

If the whole 'drawing' is a single object, you right-click on it.
In the menu you should see the "grouping" command with the little black arrow on the right.
Once it expands, you will see the "ungroup" command. Left-click it and all your objects should now be
... See more
(disclaimer: I work with the Polish version of Word 2K, so the names some commands may differ slightly...)

If you have a bunch of textboxes grouped together and want to ungroup them, here's what you do:

If the whole 'drawing' is a single object, you right-click on it.
In the menu you should see the "grouping" command with the little black arrow on the right.
Once it expands, you will see the "ungroup" command. Left-click it and all your objects should now be separated.

Some remarks:
You say that sometimes each word can be in its own text box. This sounds like a bitmap containing words has been pasted into Word and Word converted it to editable form. Sometimes it makes one textbox, and sometimes it makes many. Working with that is extremely messy. In my experience it has usually been easier (meaning faster) to make the drawing (flowchart, diagram, whatever) from scratch.
You do not have to ungroup a text box to be able to work in it (I'm talking about Word, not Trados). You click in the right place to mark a particular box and then you should be able to edit it (but not move it).

All in all, messy stuff.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

e-mail me if you need more advice.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Textboxes in Word

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »