Disappearing slides in PowerPoint. Anyone familiar with this problem?
Thread poster: Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:18
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Feb 5, 2004

Dear All,

This is a nightmare. I just couldn’t believe it is really happening.
We translated PowerPoint presentations of ~50, 80 and over 100 slides packed with embedded graphics and photos. I proofread all of them on another machine. Saved OK and sent to the client. Now, when the client opens the files, some randomly selected slides are empty: the translated text is missing! If I open the presentations again: same happens, one, two or five slides are EMPTY. Initially I thou
... See more
Dear All,

We translated PowerPoint presentations of ~50, 80 and over 100 slides packed with embedded graphics and photos. I proofread all of them on another machine. Saved OK and sent to the client. Now, when the client opens the files, some randomly selected slides are empty: the translated text is missing! If I open the presentations again: same happens, one, two or five slides are EMPTY. Initially I thought it might be related to the heavy load of photos & graphic, so I removed all of them and sent slides with the text only – same thing. The worst is that they are gone forever, it is impossible to retrieve them even if you close the presentation without saving. It seems that I can open every presentation only once, after that every time some slides are disappearing. I don’t think it’s a memory problem since all computers are new and have really high capacity. We are using Windows 2000 and XP Prof. No CAT was used. It makes me think that there is a cap on PowerPoint presentations size – something around 4MB. Above this size weird things start to happen, but only with the translation – original files are huge and heavy, yet nothing disappears.
I wonder if any of you ever experienced such thing and how did you solve it? What can cause such a disastrous behaviour???

TIA
Magda
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:18
French to Polish
+ ...
PTT and PPT are not equal... Feb 5, 2004

Magda Dziadosz wrote:

Dear All,

Uhm.

We translated PowerPoint presentations of ~50, 80 and over 100 slides packed with embedded graphics and photos. I proofread all of them on another machine.

PowerPoint version ?
Your operating system language version ?
Client operating system language version ?

Saved OK and sent to the client. Now, when the client opens the files, some randomly selected slides are empty: the translated text is missing!
If I open the presentations again: same happens, one, two or five slides are EMPTY. Initially I thought it might be related to the heavy load of photos & graphic, so I removed all of them and sent slides with the text only – same thing. The worst is that they are gone forever, it is impossible to retrieve them even if you close the presentation without saving.

CAT, CAT...

It seems that I can open every presentation only once, after that every time some slides are disappearing.

PowerPoint, sweet PoiwerPoint.

I don’t think it’s a memory problem since all computers are new and have really high capacity.

No matter.

We are using Windows 2000 and XP Prof.

Encore une fois, PowerPoint version ?

Hint.
All of them are shitty... ooops... unstable...
But PPT 97 seems s little bit more trustworhy.
If you can revert to PPT 97...
The PPT format is quite inchanged.
E.g. the PPT 2k and 97 format is practically the same.

No CAT was used.

Why ???!!!
DVX or Trados 6.5 can do the job.
If you experience problems, you can restore your translation (more) quickly...

It makes me think that there is a cap on PowerPoint presentations size – something around 4MB.

False.
The biggest I did takes something about 50 megs.
This one was clean but I experienced many problems with smaller files.
Sad but true.

Above this size weird things start to happen, but only with the translation – original files are huge and heavy, yet nothing disappears.
I wonder if any of you ever experienced such thing and how did you solve it? What can cause such a disastrous behaviour???

If the client send me a "french ppt", I open my french machine.
The localized PPT versions may be incompatible.

You can divide ther ppt file in smaller ones and intent to discover and recreate the erroneus pages... a fastidious job...

HTH

Cheers
GG

Russell Gillis
Russell Gillis  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:18
Spanish to English
Using the "Save As" function Feb 5, 2004

Hello,

I agree with what the above poster said regarding saving. When I have had problems with PowerPoint, I try resaving the file under a different name. As suggested, you might want to try reverting to a newer version.

Size does not matter (no pun intended). I have translated files well above 20 MB without any problems.

I am sorry to hear about your predicament - I feel your pain!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disappearing slides in PowerPoint. Anyone familiar with this problem?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »