Styles in multi-language documents, Word 2007
Thread poster: Nibus
Nibus
Nibus
Local time: 00:31
English
+ ...
Jan 30, 2011

I have been given the task of standardising a range of Word 2007 documents so that all the styles are the same, as well as the layout and structure.

These documents all contain English plus one other language in the same document - they have been authored in-country but all have different styles applied.

The styles that I have set are fine with the documents that are English+French, English+Russian, English+German etc., but I am having all sorts of problems with docume
... See more
I have been given the task of standardising a range of Word 2007 documents so that all the styles are the same, as well as the layout and structure.

These documents all contain English plus one other language in the same document - they have been authored in-country but all have different styles applied.

The styles that I have set are fine with the documents that are English+French, English+Russian, English+German etc., but I am having all sorts of problems with documents that are English+Hebrew, English+Korean, English+Simplified Chinese, English+Japanese.

I have looked around the web for answers to this - I don't need to type anything in these extra languages, just to set styles and format the document - but everything I have seen seems to want to change all my Word UI elements - menus etc. to the required language.

Is this even possible with my copy of Office 2007? I am on Windows XP.
Collapse

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:31
English
+ ...
Not really possible Jan 30, 2011

What kind of problems are you exactly encountering?

But as far as I know, what you need to do is probably not possible in Word files (irrespective of your version of Word). The basic problem is that, first, some settings in some languages might interfere with the English/Russian settings, and, second, it is really hard to find a font that can work with all of Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. So my feeling is that you probably will never be able to come up with a single set of standard
... See more
What kind of problems are you exactly encountering?

But as far as I know, what you need to do is probably not possible in Word files (irrespective of your version of Word). The basic problem is that, first, some settings in some languages might interfere with the English/Russian settings, and, second, it is really hard to find a font that can work with all of Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. So my feeling is that you probably will never be able to come up with a single set of standardized styles that can work with all the languages, maybe 5 harmonized sets (English+Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, plus Hebrew).

[Modifié le 2011-01-30 23:12 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Styles in multi-language documents, Word 2007

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »