What is slowing down Word?
Autor vlákna: Signe Golly
Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstán
angličtina -> ruština
+ ...
Regarding RTF files Feb 24, 2011

Dealing with RTF instead of .doc can indeed slow down your work.

It is my understanding that some Word files with .doc extension can in fact be RTF inside. Some PDF conversion tools, e.g. ABBYY PDF Transformer, produce such files.

To check if your .doc is a disguised RTF, try invoking the Save As dialog. If it wants to save as .rtf by default, it means your file is actually an RTF. I usually then select the .doc file type and save the file as a real .doc, which speeds t
... See more
Dealing with RTF instead of .doc can indeed slow down your work.

It is my understanding that some Word files with .doc extension can in fact be RTF inside. Some PDF conversion tools, e.g. ABBYY PDF Transformer, produce such files.

To check if your .doc is a disguised RTF, try invoking the Save As dialog. If it wants to save as .rtf by default, it means your file is actually an RTF. I usually then select the .doc file type and save the file as a real .doc, which speeds things up considerably and shrinks the file size.
Collapse

Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstán
angličtina -> ruština
+ ...
Background spelling check Feb 24, 2011

Among other factors, background spelling check can slow down Word considerably. Try disabling it.

Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
Francie
Local time: 15:00
angličtina -> francouzština
+ ...
RTF vs. DOC/DOCX Feb 24, 2011

Ambrose Li wrote:

Aude Sylvain wrote:

This may be a bit OT (if so I am sorry) but would anyone know why RTF files are so heavy compared to the same file in the .doc/.docx format?

The fundamental difference is that RTF files are essentially just text files with a lot of markup; the tags take up lots of space so the files are always large. DOCX files, on the other hand, are really ZIP files with a standardized structure. (They are actual ZIP files that can be opened by unzip programs.) Their text component is still a text file with markup (XML markup instead of RTF markup), but unless there’s a lot of binary data (e.g., images), text compresses well so DOCX files will be smaller.

(Even when there’s a lot of binary data, binary data in DOCX files are really represented in binary form so they will still take up less space than their counterpart in RTF files.)

DOC files are binary files and by the virtue of their simply being binary they are smaller than RTF which is a non-binary format.

Thank you Ambrose!

[Edited at 2011-02-24 20:17 GMT]

Stran v tématu:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is slowing down Word?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »