lost files
Thread poster: garrett higgins
garrett higgins
garrett higgins
Local time: 04:50
Italian to English
Feb 25, 2011

hi.
I opened a file today directly from Windows mail and forgot to save it to my usual folder.
It took me two hours to finish it and i saved it many times as I always do (and, in any case, I think it should save automatically).
I closed word (2010) on completion and then noticed the file was not saved to usual folder?
When I reopened word, it was nowhere to be found (recent files, etc.).
Where does word save these files, if anywhere???? Can they be recovered?
... See more
hi.
I opened a file today directly from Windows mail and forgot to save it to my usual folder.
It took me two hours to finish it and i saved it many times as I always do (and, in any case, I think it should save automatically).
I closed word (2010) on completion and then noticed the file was not saved to usual folder?
When I reopened word, it was nowhere to be found (recent files, etc.).
Where does word save these files, if anywhere???? Can they be recovered?
Thanks,
GJH
Collapse

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Local time: 05:50
%temp% Feb 26, 2011

If you haven't changed the default path:

Start -> Run -> type "%temp%" without the quotation marks

Then look for a folder called "word".

Hope this helps.

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 05:50
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
e-mail server temp file folder Feb 26, 2011

It will have stayed in the 'TEMP' folder where your e-mail attachments are stored.

WARNING! If you now consult the original e-mail attachment DO NOT save it, otherwise you will now overwrite all your work!

To find where the file is stored, either go to your e-mail program, and go as if to save the attachment (but DON'T ACTUALLY DO IT!); this should open the 'save' dialogue box, which will show you the full pathname (may be quite long!)

It will have stayed in the 'TEMP' folder where your e-mail attachments are stored.

WARNING! If you now consult the original e-mail attachment DO NOT save it, otherwise you will now overwrite all your work!

To find where the file is stored, either go to your e-mail program, and go as if to save the attachment (but DON'T ACTUALLY DO IT!); this should open the 'save' dialogue box, which will show you the full pathname (may be quite long!)

Alternatively, open Word as usual, and look for your file in the list of 'recent documents', then open your file from there, and straight away, use 'save as' to save it into the folder you wanted.

You ought to be able to do the same thing from 'recent documents' under the Windows 'start' menu — in both these cases, as long as you haven't opened too many other files since!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

lost files

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »